What do you do to help the reef?

dgh5

Hello all,

I know I don't have to tell you all that reefs are in danger, but just to give my question some background: 30% of the world's reefs are gone, possibly forever, 30% further are severely damaged and many scientists predict that tropical coral reefs will cease to exist within 50 to 100 years. (http://www.publish.csiro.au/?paper=MF99078, http://www.pnas.org/content/104/13/5259.short, also use google.com/scholar and read just about anything on coral reefs for more doom and gloom)

So, as reef hobbyists, I think we are all sympathetic to this problem. What are things that we can do to protect reefs?

I purchased a FL state "protect our reefs" licence plate which funds coral reef research. I also try to find and purchase cultured rock and coral.

When scientists, especially "conservation" bent scientists, say things like "all the worlds reefs will be gone in 50 to 100 years" I start to wonder... It seems to me that almost every alarming "fact" or "statistic" they spew out seems to, in time, deem itself incorrect... and most of the time VERY incorrect. So, while I certainly support responsible practice, I think most of these so called "scientists" are simply using fear tactics.

Having been diving the reefs of the Caribbean, Bahamas and south Florida since the mid 80's, I can tell you that the reefs are currently a shadow of what they were merely 30 years ago...especially the reefs that were once dominated by Acropora sp. in those areas. In the same time frame, I've seen summertime water temps in southern New England waters go from around 10 days of getting slightly over 70, to spending 60 or more days well into the mid 70's...and along with that temp increase has come a major decrease in lobster populations in those waters due to those increasing temps.

My great grandfather said back on the 60's (my Mother often mentioned it) that there will be "no Newfoundland cod fishery one of these days, if we keep reaping the ocean,especially with these trawlers". The Fishey closed here in 1992. Big uproar by alot of fisherman, but the writing was on the wall. Can't help but wonder about the reefs in the future.

If you look at places with deep cliffs, as in off Australia, as I understand, and maybe the Bahamas, they show drowned reefs; and hills can show stranded reefs.

The world's oceans change level significantly with climate, and in the past, the oceans have been shallower; and deeper, as witness these remnants of corals that used to be closer to the surface (yes, they've taken uplift into account.) There was once a lot of water tied up in mile-thick ice sheets; and now there isn't. But there's getting to be less.

I think, probably since the Cambrian, the corals have survived sea level changes, the Siberian traps and Permian extinction, the formation of Pangaea, the asteroid impact and dinosaur dieoff, and they cope. What we can do is give them as much protection from petroleum runoff and other such things as we can, and just let them do their thing. They send out new corals on the great ocean currents, likely, and stress and breakage only increase their reproduction. I don't think collectors are the problem that oil is. And even it breaks down ultimately.

need superman to turn time back ....

if no superman, then earth will age, and as it ages, things change. strong will adapt and survive, and the less strong might be out of luck.... unless they can change.

as mentioned above, corals and fish have shown to be able to adapt to the changes.... the millions of years that we were not around ... I think its rather selfish to think we would have such effects on such old and mature system ... 70 % of earth is water, which means we are nothing compared to it all ... so we wont be able to change anything, good or bad.

surface temp rises ? corals will adapt to lower light and grow deeper ... look at all the limestone islands and .... they were once a coral reef !imagine if we were around at those times ? we would be all worried that we are drinking too much and draining the oceans lol we would try to "solve" evolution of earth, which would not be that smart ... same thing here iMHO. we are just tooooo small and live way too short to get to know the bigger picture.

imagine life of an organism that lives for 1 second, in our reef tanks. each wave produced by MP40 would mean a life time of drought, or flood for that organism . it lives less than duration of a "wave". thats how we are too ... we are looking at a very small window of time and space and trying to guess everything.

JMHO,

I think its rather selfish to think we would have such effects on such old and mature system ...

On the flip side, I think quite the opposite, and my thoughts are from the perspective of living on the land, going to sea (quite far offshore), being on top of sea and under the sea. I find it hard not to find mankind's effect on the planet. As for changing climates and acidifying oceans, the current rate of change exceeds anything in the geological record.

need superman to turn time back ....

if no superman, then earth will age, and as it ages, things change. strong will adapt and survive, and the less strong might be out of luck.... unless they can change.

as mentioned above, corals and fish have shown to be able to adapt to the changes.... the millions of years that we were not around ... I think its rather selfish to think we would have such effects on such old and mature system ... 70 % of earth is water, which means we are nothing compared to it all ... so we wont be able to change anything, good or bad.

surface temp rises ? corals will adapt to lower light and grow deeper ... look at all the limestone islands and .... they were once a coral reef !imagine if we were around at those times ? we would be all worried that we are drinking too much and draining the oceans lol we would try to "solve" evolution of earth, which would not be that smart ... same thing here iMHO. we are just tooooo small and live way too short to get to know the bigger picture.

imagine life of an organism that lives for 1 second, in our reef tanks. each wave produced by MP40 would mean a life time of drought, or flood for that organism . it lives less than duration of a "wave". thats how we are too ... we are looking at a very small window of time and space and trying to guess everything.

JMHO,

Yes we have been here for a very short time geologically. The fact that humans have made such a huge impact in such a short time makes it hard for organisms to adapt. Even if they have survived in the past doesn't mean they will have the speed to adapt to what we have done.

On the flip side, I think quite the opposite, and my thoughts are from the perspective of living on the land, going to sea (quite far offshore), being on top of sea and under the sea. I find it hard not to find mankind's effect on the planet. As for changing climates and acidifying oceans, the current rate of change exceeds anything in the geological record.

While I see where you are going with this, I can't agree. Just because you see it doesn't mean that that is the problem. Think of it like dilution. With the amount of water on the earth, I can't image our careless oil spills are enough to cause any long term damage, maybe in that region but forever? No. To us it might seem long term because we are only here for a split second really as described by another poster. Say it takes 300 years for the ocean to recoup after we are long gone? That is extremely quick in terms of how long the earth and universe has been around. Even 3,000 years would be a blink of an eye in comparison to really anything else in this universe.

However, in regards to us enjoying the natural reefs in OUR lifetime, we may be SOL but the world was fine before us and will be fine once again after the human race.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to enjoy the planet while I'm on it. I'm not so worried about after the human species has gone extinct.

So, as reef hobbyists, I think we are all sympathetic to this problem. What are things that we can do to protect reefs?

To sustain this hobby and protect the reefs i think we need to responsibly farm raise corals, fish and inverts. To keep the reefs/oceans stocked with fish for human consumption we must adhear to the size and catch limits set forth by the governing bodies. And equally important, recycle/repurpose used goods and stop polluting.
It amazes me that any human would think we have little impact on the earths oceans. Keep living in denial people.

To sustain this hobby and protect the reefs i think we need to responsibly farm raise corals, fish and inverts. To keep the reefs/oceans stocked with fish for human consumption we must adhear to the size and catch limits set forth by the governing bodies. And equally important, recycle/repurpose used goods and stop polluting.
It amazes me that any human would think we have little impact on the earths oceans. Keep living in denial people.

I still don't agree. It is all about perspective. Maybe to us it may seem detrimental but humanity won't be here forever. After we are long gone the ocean will recoup just fine on its own. To us, having no coral for 50-100 years is nothing. Say the oceans recoup in 3,000 years? You know how long the earth has been around and how much longer it will be? 3,000 years in that perspective is like today and tomorrow for us humans. So, it is really all perspective. You think all these structures we have built will be around forever? We are the Romans or the Egyptians here, our buildings crumble and our homes are stick houses. Really, the world will be fine once the human race is gone. For us though, in our lifetime, it is a lost cause.

Basically you are making us humans look like we matter more in this universe more than we really do. How I am trying to explain it is comparing the life of a mosquito to us humans. To the mosquito, its life could be amazing and a long journey and to them, their life may have a lot of meaning, but that is their perspective. To us, it is a few hours and worthless. But time does not exist. What a day is to us may be years for a mosquito. Our lifetime, and impact on the reefs may be minutes to the universe as a whole.

So, I see your point, but it is based on perspective.

Perspective is good. Though I'm not sure why anyone would have a perspective other than "Let's take care of what we have, while we have it." Sure in a million years the human species could well be extinct, and the earth erase all signs of our presence. However, from my perspective that seems like a lousy reason not to take care of what we have now. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like breathing smog, I don't like being offshore and seeing garbage, I don't like seeing degraded environments that solely degraded to the human species carelessness...not really concerned about after we're extinct, but I am concerned with what I see and what I can expect my daughter to see in her lifetime.

Perspective is good. Though I'm not sure why anyone would have a perspective other than "Let's take care of what we have, while we have it." Sure in a million years the human species could well be extinct, and the earth erase all signs of our presence. However, from my perspective that seems like a lousy reason not to take care of what we have now. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like breathing smog, I don't like being offshore and seeing garbage, I don't like seeing degraded environments that solely degraded to the human species carelessness...not really concerned about after we're extinct, but I am concerned with what I see and what I can expect my daughter to see in her lifetime.

+1

Well said. Even if the predictions about climate change turn out to be inaccurate, what is wrong with trying to be more environmentally aware? Don't waste resources, recycle what you can etc. As the scuba expression goes, "leave only bubbles."

Just 10+ years ago fishing in local stream use be so different, abundance of fish, no silt, cool water but now every thing is dead and that all goes to the Oceans. We should put some more focus on fixing up the streams. People don't always see think link between head waters and the Ocean. I use to donate to TU every year when I could afford and I know they work on cleaning up streams. Any ways aqua culturing things at home is as much as Ill probably be able to do.

Back