What do you feed?

MMacro

Hey,
I was just wondering what everyone feeds their fish and how much/how often. Also interested in homemade food recipies.
What I feed

Mixture of ~8 different types of pellet food and ~4 different types of coral food all mixed into one container -Four times a week

LRS Reef Frenzy - Once-Twice a week

Clams, oysters, and mussels - Three times a week for my puffer

PE Mysis/Cyclop-eeze - Two-Three times a week

Home made frozen food (Recipie below) - Three times a week

Live baby brine shrimp - Three times a week

Home made food recipie
6 Oysters
10 Clams
10 Mussels
1LBS Scallops
1LBS Prawns
1/2 Pack of frozen cyclop-eeze
1/2 Pack PE Mysis
4 Cubes of lobster eggs
1/2LBS Squid
1 Batch of baby brine shrimp

I like to spoil my fish haha:lmao::fish1:

Don't personally bother with making my own foods. I do feed a wide variety of frozen fare (occasionally pellets) and nori; and I feed mine four times ..... per day :lol:

I usually feed fish once per day PE mysis, hikari mysis, or reef nutrition ROE, in addition to a piece of nori on the seaweed clip every other day. I also drop in a few pieces of jumbo mysis and/or pinch of NLS pellets for my marine betta to graze on. Corals I will do a couple times a week, usually Reef nutrition oyster feast in combination with red sea's reef energy. Sometimes reef nutrition roti feast as well.

How do you guys dump all that food into your tank and not have problems?

I use a brine shrimp strainer to rinse all of my frozen food. Also, 30% water changes ever 3-4 days also helps haha...

I also forgot to mention that I soak most of my food in selcon for about an hour.

LRS Reef Frenzy
Brine Spirulina Shrimp
PE Mysis
Hikari Mysis
Ocasional flakes

I feed twice a day.

My fish favorites are LRS and Brine Shrimp.

I go with a selection from LRS's Reef Frenzy and Rod's Food, regular and herbivore, PE and Hakari Mysis, Reef Nutrition's R.O.E., Ocean Nutrition's Formula 1, 2,, Prime Reef, and Brine Shrimp (frozen), live black worms, calanus, and the occasional local clam on the half shell. 2-3 times a day.

How do you guys dump all that food into your tank and not have problems?

Aggressive skimming, regular water changes.

Larry's Reef Frenzy.
It's got everything and the kitchen sink in it, so no need to feed anything else except nori for the grazers.

For the coral, I'll use some Oyster Feast a few times a week and occasionally some Reef Chili or similar.

The bulk of my fishes diet consists of 4 or 5 different kinds of flake food, NLS pellets and live black worms. Frozen foods like Mysis shrimp, Beef Heart and Emerald Entrée are used as well, but I rarely feed these. (maybe once every 10 days or so) Some of the LPS corals I have are fed NLS pellets and live black worms as well, but this is only done about once every 10-14 days too. So far so good. :)

For the fish I alternate days with LRS reef frenzy, seachem marine flake, NLS pellets, and PE mysis.

For the corals I feed 3 times a week LRS reef frenzy, PE mysis, and reef chili which I soak in selcon.

Frozen brine, and Ocean Nutrition One/Two (frozen for most inverts & pellet for my fire shrimp...) mixed with Selcon ATM... I truly believe that Selcon, is a must for any feeding regime... I have no herbs except for my CuC...
One time per day!!! BTW I have NO fish, just CuC and one fireshrimp... Still working on my next project, which is coming along nicely!!! I would use flake IF I was going on a short vacation... :/

Last edited:
For my 5 shrimp, 1 uchin and 1 yellow tail damsel I feed nori, pelets in the morning and rotate frozen brine shrimp, snails, plankton, sorell and mysis about 1/4 ts . The Nori is every other day

The pigs in my 350 FOWLR stare at me if I walk past without giving them a treat. My grandaughter also thinks it's fun to have them eat out of her hand.
So they get frozen, flakes, pellets and Nori daily. Clams on the half shell a couple times a week.
Thankfully my reef tank dwellers are not as demanding. Just a pinch or cube daily.

I broadcast feed a well stocked 90 a half cube of seaweed delight,half cube of either marine cuisine,emerald entrée,omega brine shrimp or plankton,half cube of coral gumbo,and a one third cube of cyclopeeze twice a day.I also feed a capful of phytoplankton and acropower three times a week.Never had algae due to the fact I dose no-pox daily,run chemipure blue,and a phosphate pad in a sump with mangroves.I also have hundreds of snails which keep having babies,and a diamond goby to keep sand clean.

Back