What do you think about the disappearing of coral reef around the world?

(Really?! I would have thought our planet could support a lot more people than it currently does. Irresponsible behaviour of the population...that I can buy!)

You might want to check out what is happening in south Texas where large cities/counties are buying up water rights from other counties from older people who are money hungry not realizing they will not be able to pump there own water in the future. Also where some pay a $100 more a month on water than electricity.
What do you expect people to eat in the next 20 years, our oceans are running out of food. Continue to add to our population and you continue to add to our shortage of food, pollution and waste. Hard to believe but you will see a shortage in beef in the next few years.

After reading the whole thread, one believe human is the main cause of this Global Warming and this cause massive coral reefs disappearing...
I think I have a solution, might be a radical solution...I think every human on planet should terminate their lives at 65...Every one should eat twice a day at the minimum survival amount of food...Every one should bycycle to work every day....We can try this out for one or two decade and see if the Global warming cease and we know that human is the main cause....
I know it is easy to say than to really pratice what you believe...No one want to die at age 65, instead want to live longer and healthier; want to eat whenever and whatever they please; want to drive and fly all over the world whenever they have a chance....Any body even think whenever you turn on a switch of any machines one have in our house, about pollution that cause global warming?..( I don't care about solar or wind turbine because when they are produced, they also pollute the environment)...I have heard so much about the negative news about this and human thing and no one offer any real solution or willing to practice what they believe in...Just ask what other should practice...I know the truth hurts...
Peace...!!! Just my opinion....Please don't get offended...Please think about it...Are you willing to practice what you preach to the max?...I know I can't, just do what I can do only as one humanbeing on this planet...

After reading the whole thread, one believe human is the main cause of this Global Warming and this cause massive coral reefs disappearing...
I think I have a solution, might be a radical solution...I think every human on planet should terminate their lives at 65...Every one should eat twice a day at the minimum survival amount of food...Every one should bycycle to work every day....We can try this out for one or two decade and see if the Global warming cease and we know that human is the main cause....
I know it is easy to say than to really pratice what you believe...No one want to die at age 65, instead want to live longer and healthier; want to eat whenever and whatever they please; want to drive and fly all over the world whenever they have a chance....Any body even think whenever you turn on a switch of any machines one have in our house, about pollution that cause global warming?..( I don't care about solar or wind turbine because when they are produced, they also pollute the environment)...I have heard so much about the negative news about this and human thing and no one offer any real solution or willing to practice what they believe in...Just ask what other should practice...I know the truth hurts...
Peace...!!! Just my opinion....Please don't get offended...Please think about it...Are you willing to practice what you preach to the max?...I know I can't, just do what I can do only as one humanbeing on this planet...

I'm offended. Myself, and everyone in my family rides a bike every day to work, heck we don't own a car...there's no personal cars on my island, and I love it.:spin1::spin1:

You're right. There's a bit of self righteousness in everyone reading this thread, to some extent or degree. There's no real answer because the question is too broad.
If you own an aquarium, you're directly contributing to the problem as well. I'm to blame too when I go out and get corals or collect fish myself.

I'm adding to the problem as well, albeit you don't measure into the fact that it's not shipped on an airplane 2000 miles, packaged twice over and presented in a nice display at the LFS.
Do I believe the reefs will disappear in 50 years? Perhaps in some areas, but not the whole range of coral formations that span 30 degrees, north and south of the equator.
There's no good answer to the question posed.

The beauty of it is that we can do everything that we do today (including everything that you list) more efficiently if we put our minds and effort into it. Of course humans will always have an impact in this planet, the question is how much of an impact.

Yes, solar generators and wind turbines can be produced in factories that adhere to strict environmental standards. It is more expensive, but only because our infrastructure is entirely built around fossil fuel.

The logic of what you are saying is exactly the same logic in this statement: "I am not going to shower ever again because I get dirty every day".

I’m offended. Myself, and everyone in my family rides a bike every day to work, heck we don’t own a car...there's no personal cars on my island, and I love it.:spin1::spin1:

You’re right. There’s a bit of self righteousness in everyone reading this thread, to some extent or degree. There's no real answer because the question is too broad.
If you own an aquarium, you’re directly contributing to the problem as well. I’m to blame too when I go out and get corals or collect fish myself.

I’m adding to the problem as well, albeit you don’t measure into the fact that it’s not shipped on an airplane 2000 miles, packaged twice over and presented in a nice display at the LFS.
Do I believe the reefs will disappear in 50 years? Perhaps in some areas, but not the whole range of coral formations that span 30 degrees, north and south of the equator.
There’s no good answer to the question posed.

Are you in Kwaj? I sure miss it, spent two weeks diving there a few years ago with Brian Greene. But I totally agree with you, I think we will have different reefs in 50 years, but I highly doubt the coral reef ecosystem will completely disappear as some are estimating.

The beauty of it is that we can do everything that we do today (including everything that you list) more efficiently if we put our minds and effort into it. Of course humans will always have an impact in this planet, the question is how much of an impact.

Yes, solar generators and wind turbines can be produced in factories that adhere to strict environmental standards. It is more expensive, but only because our infrastructure is entirely built around fossil fuel.

The logic of what you are saying is exactly the same logic in this statement: "I am not going to shower ever again because I get dirty every day".

Are you in Kwaj? I sure miss it, spent two weeks diving there a few years ago with Brian Greene. But I totally agree with you, I think we will have different reefs in 50 years, but I highly doubt the coral reef ecosystem will completely disappear as some are estimating.

yeah Luiz, im on kwaj. Me and Brian are good buddies. He is a wicked diver, i cant hold his diving bag considering how many and what types of dives he has done. Total diving Guru..... He drags me out with him every now and then.

Ill tell him you said hi.

you will probably recognize his boat, the golden cowrie from some of the pics in this thread.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2016812

OP, my sincerest apologies for the highjacking and slight derail.

chuck

Luiz,

stopped by Brian's place today after diving and told him you sent your regards. He spoke very very highly of you.

I love BB's, you never know who will chime in, and what their real life credentials are. :)

Won't elaborate too much. Hope to see you back in the Marshall islands in the near future, perhaps we can get some dives in too.

chuck

Did anybody catch 60 minutes last night? I only caught part of it and the fact that global warming affects some parts of the Cuban reef, but it has a way of fixing itself?

(Really?! I would have thought our planet could support a lot more people than it currently does. Irresponsible behaviour of the population...that I can buy!)

You might want to check out what is happening in south Texas where large cities/counties are buying up water rights from other counties from older people who are money hungry not realizing they will not be able to pump there own water in the future. Also where some pay a $100 more a month on water than electricity.
What do you expect people to eat in the next 20 years, our oceans are running out of food. Continue to add to our population and you continue to add to our shortage of food, pollution and waste. Hard to believe but you will see a shortage in beef in the next few years.

Cars are probably 1% of the problem. What about heat and air conditioning and all the appliances that run off of electricity... People will never give these luxuries up. Corporations are huge polluters and they de regulate things like the EPA which are supposed to protect the environment. Theres a start for you. Also just an interesting fact: there are now officially 7 billion peoples in the world. My way of making sure i do my part is recycling. I recycle everything from water bottles to the cardboard leftover after you use all the toilet paper to batteries. I throw anything into recycling i can, even if im not sure they actually recycle it its worth the try and its free. Since i started a year ago my house produces 50% less trash, and if u pay for trash removal like lots of towns its a good way to save money and do a good thing at the same time. I do however think humanity is doomed and were passed the point of restoring the planet to its natural state, even if we ceased all use of fossil fuels now and reverted back to the dark ages. Scientists know this which is why they are trying to get the $&@! Off this planet lol. Anyways put a smile on and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was diving on a reef off Key Largo this weekend. I've dove this reef in the past...about 20 years ago. 20 years ago there was lots of healthy Elkhorn coral...this past Saturday, almost all the Elkhorn was dead. Found some smallish colonies on one section of reef...maybe a 20 sq foot patch of reef with isolated colonies on it, and baseball sized patch of recovering growth in what was otherwise a vast wasteland of dead Elkhorn skeletons over the rest of the reef. Quite an amazing difference in all of 20 years :(

Just asking but didn't Florida have a bad freeze a while back that froze fish and coral? Everytime I see Florida on TV (mostly fishing shows) I see boats on top of boats and not one sail on either one of them.

What was the name of the reef off Key Largo?

Bill, I was out in your neck of the woods last Saturday
IMG_1614.jpg

Was diving on a reef off Key Largo this weekend. I've dove this reef in the past...about 20 years ago. 20 years ago there was lots of healthy Elkhorn coral...this past Saturday, almost all the Elkhorn was dead. Found some smallish colonies on one section of reef...maybe a 20 sq foot patch of reef with isolated colonies on it, and baseball sized patch of recovering growth in what was otherwise a vast wasteland of dead Elkhorn skeletons over the rest of the reef. Quite an amazing difference in all of 20 years :(

What has changed in the 20 years? Is it a water quality issue or a temp issue. You should have taken water samples so you could post the parameters just like for any other reef related problem.

It's not just Florida but the majority of the Caribbean that now looks that way. What's changed in the past 20-30 years? You can point to the mass explosion in the human population growth - and that brings about the massive coastal developments, more pollution, sedimentation, runoff, overfishing - and yes, increase in sea surface temperatures. Basically, things that everyone in this thread has already discussed.

The Caribbean and tropical western Atlantic is essentially a ring of development from Florida/Bahamas down to Brazil. Unfortunately, there is a direct negative correlation between the distance a coral reef is to human disturbance and overall reef health - as measured in total coral coverage, fish size/density, etc.

Compounding this is the largest epizootic ever known - the loss of the Diadema urchins that started in Panama in 1983, where the pathogen rode the currents. The loss of this herbivore was quite possibly the last stability pin that was pulled from Caribbean reefs leading to their collapse - though they were probably already tinkering on the edge collapse as fully-functioning ecosystems.

Taking a water sample now likely won't do much good. Elkhorn and Staghorn corals have collapsed from a combination of stressors, fueled by coral bleaching and the resulting diseases that ravage corals after a bleaching event.

In addition, Florida likely seems particularly hit b/c its populations of Elkhorn and Staghorn seem to have reproduced primarily through asexual breakage rather than through sexual reproduction. This has left that population genetically depauperate and, thus, less resistant to disease.

Basically, in my lifetime, Caribbean and western Atlantic reefs have shifted from primarily coral dominated ecosystems to algal reefs, and today we are now starting to see the collapse of that 3-dimmensional structure that the corals have built up since the last ice age. This phase shift is the new face of Caribbean reefs and one that will not change in our lifetime. I simply cringe when I hear new divers coming up from a dive and saying how great the reef looks - with a few corals here and there, a beach-ball size elkhorn colony over there, and vast fields of dictyota and microdictyon algaes everywhere. This is the shifting baseline we must prevent. Basically... it shouldn't look like this.

It is also my feeling that if reefs only had to cope with increasing sea surface temperatures, they would have a better fighting chance. But with a combination punch of 4, 5, 6, 7 and more stressors piling on them all at once, it's just simply too much to overcome. Will every species of coral go extinct? Likely not. But, as others have mentioned already, the face of reefs in the future will change drastically. Heck... it's already here.

7 billion people... and there are tv shows that glorify 8 and more plus children per family............

Cheers
Mike

"7 billion people... and there are tv shows that glorify 8 and more plus children per family............" Yah like that show about that family with like 22 kids and counting.. all their names start with the letter "J" as if the number of kids they have wasn't already enough to have a reason to call them freaks. There should be a limit on procreation IMO.

What was the name of the reef off Key Largo?

Elbow reef. It's right next to that light "tower" that those two divers were stranded on several years ago...the ones they made the movie about.

Bill, I was out in your neck of the woods last Saturday

Sure looks like my old stomping grounds :D

What has changed in the 20 years? Is it a water quality issue or a temp issue. You should have taken water samples so you could post the parameters just like for any other reef related problem.

It's not just Florida but the majority of the Caribbean that now looks that way. What's changed in the past 20-30 years? You can point to the mass explosion in the human population growth - and that brings about the massive coastal developments, more pollution, sedimentation, runoff, overfishing - and yes, increase in sea surface temperatures. Basically, things that everyone in this thread has already discussed.

Mike nailed it, along with the rest of his post. The water parameters can be found in papers by a number of researchers by anyone that really wants to dig in the scientific literature. I was there working with a dive class, not doing research, so wasn't conducting samples of my own ;) I'll admit I don't remember the water temps on my first visit to this reef, but Saturdays water temp was 78F at 40'.

I posted the water parameter statement kinda tounge in cheek since thats how we fix all reef problems here. Although I did like snakebites post. There was info in there I have not come across before. I imagine its painfull to watch firsthand the decline of this reef on a yearly basis.

I posted the water parameter statement kinda tounge in cheek since thats how we fix all reef problems here. Although I did like snakebites post. There was info in there I have not come across before.

My bad... I'll turn up the sensor on my sarcasm detector... :spin1:

I posted the water parameter statement kinda tounge in cheek since thats how we fix all reef problems here. Although I did like snakebites post. There was info in there I have not come across before. I imagine its painfull to watch firsthand the decline of this reef on a yearly basis.

My bad... I'll turn up the sensor on my sarcasm detector... :spin1:

x2 :D

It would be great to able to fix those water quality parameters on the reef as easily as we can our tanks. BTW, one of the issues that has been hitting the Elkhorn hard is "white pox" disease. Which as been found to be caused by a bacteria from the human gut...aka the sewage which makes it way into our oceans :( Just another one of those factors hitting the corals on top the rising ocean temps and ocean acidification.

x2 :D

It would be great to able to fix those water quality parameters on the reef as easily as we can our tanks. BTW, one of the issues that has been hitting the Elkhorn hard is "white pox" disease. Which as been found to be caused by a bacteria from the human gut...aka the sewage which makes it way into our oceans :( Just another one of those factors hitting the corals on top the rising ocean temps and ocean acidification.

It seems that with all the controls in place around the keys, (no anchoring touching etc..) do they not require complete treatment of wastewater in that area? You would think if we could eliminate some of the bad factors that are under our control we could give the reef a fighting chance.

They are looking at making us disinfect wastwater that gets dumped into the Chicago Sanitary Ship Canal. Seems a strange double standard when you take into account the differences of whats at stake in these two bodies of water.

Back