What is the most colorful reef safe fish out there?

The OP started this thread 2 years ago, and hasn't logged in for over a year and a half. Don't hold your breath! :)

Oh snap!!! :debi:

Okie heres a question..because I have seen it debated ALOT. Is Marine Beta (Comet) yes the one that is a family member of grouper family. Is it reef safe? I know it doesn't care about corals but what about the other creatures we often keep in reef tanks?

Nobody has mentioned potentially the most colorful of all, a flashing tile fish. If you've ever seen one in person, you can get just about every color of the rainbow in a span of about 5 seconds.

If its in a good environment though, that rarely lasts as the fish doesn't normally flash unless it is in a stressful environment.

Seahorses are also not horses and sea hares are not hares. Then again box fishes are not made from boxes and glassfish have no glass in them, I also don't think pencil fish have any pencils nor do needle fish have any needles, porcupinefish are not porcupines, lionfish are not lions and cowfish are not really cows, fiddler crabs don't live on the roof and devilfish don't live in hell. But mandarins are dragonettes. :uhoh3:

LOL.....and a harlequin tusk does not really look like an elephant; and an angelfish does not really have a halo (although I think damn sels may really have devil horns); rabbit fish do not really hop; hawk fish do not really fly; bat fish do not live in caves or turn into vampires; you do not throw dart fish against a board on the wall (at least I would hope not; hog fish do not become bacon; and squirrel fish do not climb trees. :spin1:

Didn't the OP say "Reef" fish. Angle's by large are NOT reef safe. And diffently not Harlequin tuskfish
Just sayen.

Like "colorful", "Reef safe" means different things to different people - that it won't eat something you want to keep without defining what it is you want to keep. Cut out anything that isn't 100% safe with shrimp smaller than peppermints and what is left? Where do you draw the line?

If your tank can handle the bioload, is big enough, and you don't mind things getting moved around, a Harlequin tuskfish is a good choice with corals and anemones - not at all likely to eat them.

If you have a large tank and aren't fussy about possibly losing 1 out of 200 different corals, angelfish are great in a reef tank. I've had some kind of angelfish over 10 years, and at least 3 for half of that time. I have never once seen an angelfish kill any coral, clams or anemones in my tank (pick lightly, yes). With the exception of Holacanthus, I don't think the larger species deserve the reputation they have as being more destructive. Of course, a 20 inch grey is going to be more destructive than a 2 inch coral beauty, but that is from a difference in size, not species.

I had an earlis wrasse, they might be the most overrated fish in this hobby. I sold it for half of what I paid for it. I would much rather have a carpenters pr Mckoskers flasher over one

I had an earlis wrasse, they might be the most overrated fish in this hobby. I sold it for half of what I paid for it. I would much rather have a carpenters pr Mckoskers flasher over one

I have all three of those fish and love all of them but there's no comparison. The earls are beautiful and have such a cool personality. Glad someone got a good deal though, your loss.

Nobody has mentioned potentially the most colorful of all, a flashing tile fish. If you've ever seen one in person, you can get just about every color of the rainbow in a span of about 5 seconds.

If its in a good environment though, that rarely lasts as the fish doesn't normally flash unless it is in a stressful environment.

These guys aren't too shabby either:
62A8C2FB-1A2E-4190-9190-47C12323004B-143-00000033A5990165.jpg

This is a crappy iPod photo; it no flasher, and they say the purples aren't just purple, rather they are every hue of purple. With my red stripes you still see how it can play with light in subtle colours. Somehow the bright red stripe can optically leap so far off the fish it makes you look again because you know the fish is cylindrical.

These guys aren't too shabby either:
62A8C2FB-1A2E-4190-9190-47C12323004B-143-00000033A5990165.jpg

This is a crappy iPod photo; it no flasher, and they say the purples aren't just purple, rather they are every hue of purple. With my red stripes you still see how it can play with light in subtle colours. Somehow the bright red stripe can optically leap so far off the fish it makes you look again because you know the fish is cylindrical.

If you have a chance to own some purples, do it. They are an awesome fish and are really personable. I sadly lost both of mine due to separate jumping issues. The key to these fish is tight, tight, tight, perfectly sealed, tight, impenetrable, unbreakable, unescapable lids.

Beautiful skunks by the way.

Namxas what is the first fish in your collection of photos

I'm a few days late, but the fishes are:

Chorydactylus multibarbus (bearded ghoul/orange banded stingfish)...SocomMike was right on here.

Odontanthias borbonius (blotched anthias)

Pterois mombassae (Mombasa lionfish)

Dendrochirus biocellatus (fu man chu lionfish)

Rhinopias frondosa (weedy scorpionfish)

R. eschmeyeri (Eschmeyer's scorpionfish/leafy scorpionfish)

Somebody asked about the photos, and they were taken thru acrylic tanks and glass tanks, altho we prefer acrylic to "float" glass. We use tank lighting (no flash) and a tripod (most important thing besides good "glass" on your camera).

Back