what kind of freshwater to use

Timmo760

Water dist. Tech
i have been ising distilled water for my freshwater and water to mix salt with. i recently read in a book that traces of copper are in the watrer from the equiptment used to distille the water. i was just wanting to comferm this. it would kinda explain why when i add water or do a water change some of the corals close up for a while.

I don't believe copper tubing is used anymore in the distilling process for anyone who is producing drinking water. You may want to ask in the chemistry forum, but I've used distilled water in the past without any issues.

I use RO/DI water. I would likely just run RO water if I knew that my local water company didn't use Chloramine.

I think there are still lots of places that don't use Chloramine. But I could be mistaken.

I also don't think that there should be any traces of copper in distilled. If your grocer has one of those sparkletts or culligan water pumps, those are RO water with usually under 10 TDS and it costs the same or a little more than the prebottled stuff.

o ok, awesome thanks. already made my switch to RO/DI. the book i read it out of looks pretty old, but i was just asking. thanks again

Can't go wrong with RO/DI. Some city and well water is basically fine, but w/o comprehensive tested parameters and guaranteed stable analysis, there is just added and potentially serious risk. Distilled should be fine in theory, but since it is handled in various ways before bottling, who knows. If you worked at a lab that distilled their own, that would be different.

Back