White PVC, I want it black.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9308474#post9308474 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atvdave
coralline algae will cover it in 6 months anyway.

Dude, you have a lot of patience. I definately didn't put a tank together to have it look substandard for 6 months.

I would do the Krylon if your not willing to redo with black PVC.

Dude......

All I'm saying is that regardless what color you paint it, coralline will start to cover it. If you wish you can scrape it but you will likely scrape the paint off also..

I for one don't mind coralline on the back part of my glass and return pipes. It shows a early indication if something is starting to go wrong.

But to each there own. I just don't see a point in it.

Happy reefing Dude.....

Just go to a local plumbing store, most of them are open to the public. Just call first and tell them what you need. I have two diffrent places I go to around here, look in the phone book.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9320300#post9320300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atvdave
Dude......

All I'm saying is that regardless what color you paint it, coralline will start to cover it. If you wish you can scrape it but you will likely scrape the paint off also..

I for one don't mind coralline on the back part of my glass and return pipes. It shows a early indication if something is starting to go wrong.

But to each there own. I just don't see a point in it.

Happy reefing Dude.....

You're right it is a preference thing. And I agree, the Krylon will scrape off as well if you are intent on keeping the coraline off your plumbing.

I don't mind plumbing covered in coraline either. I just don't like the look of white. Black is a wonderful color that looks fine until the pipes are covered which I'm with you also looks fine.

Also Coraline wont cover everything. The under sides of pipes often don't get coated, pipes that are routed in the shade as well get missed. If you don't like the color of the pipes, it's gonna bug you.

i painted the 1-1/2" street 90's that i use for drains and it flaked with in 5 months. if i cared i could go to HD and spend another 3 bux and repaint the new ones and have them installed inside 2 minutes.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9303170#post9303170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clevername2000
Personally i would just buy black PVC..... thats what i did.

Black (ABS) can be septic/waste. It can be teated with chemicals, so use with caution.

I used black Krylon myself. Sand your pipes a tiny bit first, as it seems to help bind a bit more. I just took a really light rub on the outside, then hit it with a quick coat. It's been in my 180 8-9 months now I think? No peeling that I can see.

The 90 degree parts in the upper left and right are standard PVC I painted. The strainer is black, the bulkhead gray so I didn't mess with those. In the middle is a return split in two. It's a series of straights and 90 degrees that just enter the tank. I added a picture during the build so you can see above.

01.26.2007-3.jpg

06.27.2006-1.jpg

Back