Why does my firefish always 'hide'?

ssantac

Hi everyone,

I've had 2 firefish for like 8 months now. They used to both hide under a rock maybe 50% ish of the time. When I tried peppermind shrimps for aptasia(fail by the way...dont know why, but they both died in like a month) the were kinda forced to swim for a while. Now I have one that is always swimming around and the other found a new place to hide out all day. It comes out readily to eat every day and hangs out for a while, so I know its not sick. Just wondering why for maybe 80% or more of its day its hanging out tucked back in a corner?

Thanks

a pic of the rock work might help do you have an open rock scape so they feel comfortable escaping danger? Also might have a fish picking on them.

Did you get a bad haircut recently? Do you favor one of the fish? The other might have low self esteem :( haha

The one that hides may be the submissive one of the two. A picture of your rock would help. Have you added/lost any other animals in your tank recently? Have you replaced your light bulbs over the tank recently? There are many factors that determine where a fish feels comfortable in its habitat. Generally, a change in the habitat (lighting, loss/addition of animal) or declining health are the main reasons why a fish would go from spending time in the open to hiding.

yeah they are in my seahorse-less seahorse tank. I've never seen any fighting between any of my fish. I have 2 bangaii cardinals, 2 clowns, and 2 mandarins. The other firefish is always out with no troubles.

This is an ancient pic of the left side of the tank. In the very left corner behind the rocks and the now 'macro forest' is where it likes to be.Nothing has been changed rockwork or corals in about a year, although the tank obviously has matured quite a bit since this. The only deaths were the horses a few months back and mysteriously the pep. shrimp, which displaced the firefish from its former hiding spot under a rock on the other side of the tank. No recent bulb changes or anything else. I'll have to get an updated pic when I get off work tomorrow, but here this.

DSCN0640.jpg

I'm not worried about it dying or anything cuz this fish has pretty much always been like this, just wondering why. Maybe its just like reefstew said and real timid. I keep looking for eggs or something but there never is. I'm sure the crabs would take care of those anyway though.

Funny how some fish are more timid than others. I just added a helfriche and a blue spot jawfish almost 2 weeks ago. The helfriche never hid and tried to instanly check out the others in the tank and the clownies were mean to her... chased her towards the yellow tang who then shooooed her away.... but she found a front corner area to call her own and is always there when I look for her. The blue spot jawfish however.... was in a good spot initially but he then decided to move to the back, behind all the rocks and I havent seen him in a week! I hope he is happy back there. Food hasnt even coaxed him out. I know the sand needed some sifting back there since it hasnt been touched in 4 years so maybe he is juyst having a good ol sifting frenzy in private??? LOL... I have eggcrate covers on the tank so he hasnt jumped out for sure. Im almost tempted to start moving some rocks to see if he is still alive but this is a big chore!

I have had my two fire fish for roughly two Years and they sound identical to yours. One fire fish is rather brave and usually out 90% of the time, while the other one is very skittish and is only out sometimes. I wouldn't be too worried.

Areucrazy- I would not go to all that trouble yet, I'm sure he is just fine. I had a goby I thought died, literally did not see him in three months. When I tore down my tank there he was happy as could be and in great health. Sand sifters are very very sneaky!

Ive had a couple firefish (5 to be exact). one always Hid - ALWAYS. The others were usually out and about. One was 50% out/50% hide. I think it all depends on the individual fish. Nothing was different in my scenarios, but one fish never came out. Dont take it personally :)

-JP

Heres a few up to date pics I snapped with my trusty droidx before I head to work. Its more purple in person, the droid doesnt like the lights I guess. That far back left corner is where I was saying it hides.

Left:
2011-08-15_15-50-07_686.jpg

Right:
2011-08-15_15-50-22_600.jpg

Full tank:
2011-08-15_15-43-24_795.jpg

Looks nice! I love the little firefish. I was reading that they like to school with each other. Does this mean the red, purple and helfriche will school together?

Back