Why is my tank failing? HELP

mayli

Hello everyone, brand new here.

First off, thanks for reading.
5 months ago I set up a 29 gallon tank. The tank cycled well and after a month I added a pistol shrimp and wheelers goby pair. The shrimp disappeared after a few weeks and the goby left their cave so I assume the shrimp died. Still, things were going ok. Added a toadstool leather coral and a zoa frag. Over Christmas, we left town for a week (had a friend watch the house, told her to only feed the tank twice so there wasn't overfeeding), and then when I got back in town the tank was a cyanobacteria disaster, and the corals were DEAD DEAD DEAD, falling apart.

After that it's been only downhill. I've gone through a blackline blenny, mccoskers wrasse, hector's goby, and clown goby- all died within days of adding them to the tank. And then two weeks ago my original Wheeler's goby died. Currently the only livestock in the tank is a black clownfish, six nassarius snails, two tiny ricordea mushrooms and a clove coral frag that won't open. The clown isn't looking good, but he is eating. The cyanobacteria is back completely only a few days after each water change. I dont know what it's eating either, because my nitrates have been reading absolutely 0 for the last month.
I know my tank is still young but I'm about to give up!
Please help me figure out what I'm doing/what is killing my fish and destroying my tank.

ABOUT MY TANK:
29 G
Salinity is 1.023
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8.3
Calcium 520
Temp 78
Currenly don't have a phosphate test

Reef octopus 100 HOB skimmer
Running a small aquaclear filter with GFO/Carbon mixture only
1 powerhead
30 lbs live rock
Small hang on refugium to grow chaeto (currently empty)
4 bulb T5 fixture with ATI bulbs

Your salinity is .001 under coral lower level. s/b 1.025 for safety.
Calcium is a bit high. 420 is enough. You should be doing a 10% water change per week. That for starters. I'd do some 10% changes 2 days apart to see if that helps. Having things die in the tank just does not help the others, and you might also run a bag of carbon.

Stay with us. We'll figure this out. Oxygenation could be suspect. So could lighting.

Back