WTB/WTT DRILLED 5.5g Tank

nate82

Hey guys,

So I have the drill bit to make 1 1/4" holes, but I'm 1/6 in making holes. The only hole I got to work without cracking the pane, I broke while trying to install it into my system. I'm sick of wasting money on these 5.5g tanks as I'm over $50 in garbage at this point. :headwalls: I would like to buy or trade a generous frag for an already drilled tank. It's going to be the fuge in my system so not too too worried about aesthetics. Thanks for any help!

Nate

Sandwich the pane you're drilling between two pieces of wood. Drilling glass that thin is tough, but you can do it. I've drilled 10 gallon tanks myself, and I'd expect the same glass thickness. Something else that really really helps is a drill press that can be set to turn very slowly.

Glass tanks that small are not best suited to be drilled, even after you drill it the risk of cracking from the slightest tap is there; while it may cost more I'd opt for an acrylic tank.

This could be debated all day. I have drilled a 5.5 also and run it as a pico. The first time I bumped it the slightest bit the tiny bit of stress on the thin glass caused it to crack. The fact is that it is not wise to drill such thin glass especially if you are plumbing it to your system. I am just trying to have others learn from my experience/mistakes.

Back