Y does this forum exist?

Fish keeping with no chemicals, thats like humans with no medicine. Chemicals are not a detriment to the hobby, in fact, they are one of the main reasons why there is a reefkeeping hobby.

I'm curious to know how familiar or experienced you are with the 'wholesale level' of the marine ornamental industry, i.e. the state the imports arrive in, what practices/treatments are actually used,and what mortality rates post import,pre retail would be with proper med protocols vs. without. Your post seems to indicate a familiarity with such.

Actually, her post fairly loudly indicates less than zero familiarity with such. Wholesalers have decades of experience with what does and does not work for fish, it's why they spend a ton of money on chemicals that work: the net benefit is greater than not using them. A universe where wholesalers even have the space, time, or disposable income to quarantine fish with new, cutting edge, chemical free methods is nonexistent. Even at an LFS level it's next to impossible. These are ideas that pop up from hobbyists who mean well, but it's hard for them to understand a facility moving thousands of fish a week through a few hundred holding tanks.

Last edited:
As one who does have such experience, it was plainly and painfully obvious to me as well. ;)

I've seen, (and have also helped) tens of thousands of fish, if not more, saved from certain death with proper and judicious use of copper, formalin, malachite green, prazi, and fw dips, etc.

Hearing all of these hobbyists who are utterly ignorant of the realities of the 'coc' (chain of custody) continue on their simplistic and naïve 'rants' when they have absolutely no clue wears abit thin after awhile ;) , hence my attempt to point that out with the question.

Not one of them seems to be willing to consider how much they help to add to reef destruction simply by burning fossil fuels to run their own systems-as long as they can complain about their perceived damages from the rest of the coc ;)

Heh. ;)

Many would probably attest to my post above being as kind and 'sugar coated' as I'm capable of :D :p

As one who does have such experience, it was plainly and painfully obvious to me as well. ;)

I've seen, (and have also helped) tens of thousands of fish, if not more, saved from certain death with proper and judicious use of copper, formalin, malachite green, prazi, and fw dips, etc.

Hearing all of these hobbyists who are utterly ignorant of the realities of the 'coc' (chain of custody) continue on their simplistic and naïve 'rants' when they have absolutely no clue wears abit thin after awhile ;) , hence my attempt to point that out with the question.

Not one of them seems to be willing to consider how much they help to add to reef destruction simply by burning fossil fuels to run their own systems-as long as they can complain about their perceived damages from the rest of the coc ;)

Post of the month!

Back