1000 Gallon Build- Here we go- Lots of Pictures

Additionally those snails look like Stomatella snails. Amazing algae eaters and can multiple rapidly. I've seen them in colors ranging from greenish to blackish. Take a look on google and see if those are the same as what was in your sock.

The Hannah is always nice to have a quick check. However I have found that as the checker solution sits around, it loses accuracy. Sometimes by the end of the bottle I can get a reading almost 2dkh different than my Salifert Alk test.

Calcium one seems to always read incredibly higher than my Red Sea test. I would have 100ppm differences sometimes. I have since sold that.

I have checked them both against calibration fluids as well, and my points proved correct.
I double check my Hanna all the time and they are spot on. if you don't clean and dry the vials with a proper cloth, you will have issues. I wipe the outside of the viles before every reading stage of the tests, and always where nitrile gloves to avoid finger prints. How long were you letting the reagents sit around?

Thanks Tradewinds. Its definitely been a labor of love the tank. Have it getting stocked pretty nicely as well. Gonna add some bigger fish soon. Ill do my best to keep things updated.

I double check my Hanna all the time and they are spot on. if you don't clean and dry the vials with a proper cloth, you will have issues. I wipe the outside of the viles before every reading stage of the tests, and always where nitrile gloves to avoid finger prints. How long were you letting the reagents sit around?
I have also found that slowly rolling the vial sideways to scrape off microbubbles from the sides helps too.

Spent the morning reading this from beginning to end! Couldn't put the phone down! Amazing build both home and tanks! Nice to see that you success hasn't stopped you from being a regular guy! Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see more!

It's 2016! New pictures should be coming :wave:

I will work on it. :spin1:
Great build. Thanks

Thank you!

Spent the morning reading this from beginning to end! Couldn't put the phone down! Amazing build both home and tanks! Nice to see that you success hasn't stopped you from being a regular guy! Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see more!

Thanks Donny. I've got a big shipment of fish coming at the end of the month. I'll do a thorough update at that time. Appreciate you tagging along.

So I talked about a bit of the algae issue I had a few pages back. That is pretty much gone but the rocks still has a bit of a moss on them. I picked up 15 turbo snails and wow! What a difference. It's as if they are polishing the rocks. My thinking is that 15 May not be enough but I also don't want too many and have them starve cause the tank is too clean. What's the negatives of turbos? Any problems with reefs? Do they multiply on their own? 800 gallons- Id 15 enough, get more or let it be?

biggest problem I had with turbo's is that they bulldoze stuff. they can knock over coral frags and rockwork, if not secured. I had one in my 50 gal for about 7 years until tank crashed. Kids named him Mr. Big Snail.

I have never had a problem with Mexican turbos righting themselves. They do get large eventually - the size of a hardball. At that size they can become bulldozers, but usually the hermit crabs get them before they reach that size.

I thought it was astrea snails that had the problems righting themselves.

Dave.M

I have never had a problem with Mexican turbos righting themselves. They do get large eventually - the size of a hardball. At that size they can become bulldozers, but usually the hermit crabs get them before they reach that size.

I thought it was astrea snails that had the problems righting themselves.

Dave.M
Sorry, I might be getting my snails mixed up.

Indeed Hanna's can be off and so do all manual test kits. Never make a big correction based on one test kit! It does need to become a routine so every time you do tests you do them the same way, that way your feel is much better for estimating if you need to really adjust something or do a test with another kit.

So all my fish and coral are doing great except one Duncan colony. Half is wide open and flowing in the current while the other half is completely closed up. This coral is about a month old and was open and full till about 2 days ago. Any ideas on what could be going on? Nothing as been changed in the tank lately.

So all my fish and coral are doing great except one Duncan colony. Half is wide open and flowing in the current while the other half is completely closed up. This coral is about a month old and was open and full till about 2 days ago. Any ideas on what could be going on? Nothing as been changed in the tank lately.

Every tank is different.

Some tanks just can't grow some coral. Really rare bordering on impossible that a tank can keep every variety of coral happy.

For example, our tank is too low nutrient and has problems with some lps and zoas. Sps does great though.

Back