140 Gallon DSA Build

Could you post some more information about how you did the foam and what you used? That's a really great idea. I bet it will look awesome once it gets covered!

Thanks Queen, I wish I could say it was my idea. There are several threads of foam builds. It isn't that tough to do, but I added a lot of extra work to it with the PVC and pumps

Materials List:

Deep Sea Aquatics 140 PRO (48L x 24D x 29H)
(3) pieces egg crate/ light diffuser
(100+) zip ties
1/4 inch airline tubing
1/2 inch PVC plus lots of different fittings (optional)
PVC glue
epoxy & sand (optional)
several cans expanding foam/Great Stuff
120 Lbs dry base rock
drill, 1/4 inch masonry bit, pvc bit
Aquarium silicone
small bucket of water

Procedure:

1. Cut and dry fit egg crate
2. Cut to fit a custom CLOSED PVC jungle gym (leave open pipe for water pump). A coupling of some sort will be required wherever pipes cross seams in the eggcrate. This step should be performed in the aquarium.
3. Glue all PVC fittings (T's, 90's, 45's, endcaps, etc.) except the couplings where different sections of eggcrate meet.
4. Zip tie PVC to eggcrate.
5. Drill holes in PVC for water flow. The size and number of holes ultimately depends on how much flow you want and what size pump you've got.
6. Remove from tank and reassemble.
7. Using masonry bit, drill (if necessary) a hole through each rock. Dip the rock and drill bit into the clean water often to keep them cool and preserve the bit. Do a few at a time, but much of this will be drilled on an as needed basis...It's kinda like a jigsaw puzzle.
8. Attach rock. Try not to lay rocks flat on the eggcrate. You want them drilled and zip tied in such a way that they jut out from the eggcrate (the foam may swallow them otherwise). Make sure you don't cover your drilled holes in the PVC.
9. Cut short lengths of the airline tubing and insert them into the holes in the PVC. This will keep the foam from covering them up. Leave them in for well beyond the curing time.
10. Spray foam wherever you see eggcrate. It isn't nevessary to cover it all in one pass. You may want to spray a little here and there, wait for it to cure, then touch up spots you missed. Once cured, you may need to trim, shape the foam.
11. Paint the foam with some sort of epoxy resin, and cover with sand, etc. while the resin is still wet.
12. Twist and pull the straws, they should come right out.
13. Insert structure into tank and attach to glass with aquarium silicone. If you have used enough rock and trimmed enough foam to counter its bouyancy, you may not need the silicone.

Lastly, fill the tank, connect powerhead(s), enjoy the show!

In my case I did the center section first, put the structure back in the tank, and layed saran wrap over the edges of the center section. That way I won't have any obvious seams when I spray the foam for the left and right sides...at least that is what I hope

Last edited:
The foam has been sprayed...for the most part. I'll have to go back and touch up a few spots that I couldn't reach in the tank. With any luck, I'll have the epoxy/resin and sand completed in the next couple of days. The best part of these foam builds is the amount of real estate for corals, as well as leaving the fish lots of room to swim. My wife hates tanks that look like a big pile of rocks without any room for fish. :spin3:

DSCN3114.jpg

Looking good man, very interesting idea with the PVC and multiple water flows. Cant wait to see how it turns out!

Kelsey

Thanks guys. It's been forever in the making, but I should have water in it soon enough. The sump still needs baffles, and the stand needs to be beefed up. One thing at a time I guess!

:fun5:

Here's a profile shot of the left overflow. There is still some touching up to do with the foam, but this angle shows the depth of the structure. The fish will have lots of little nooks and hiding spots.

DSCN3116.jpg

I'll tinker with the resin/sand tonight and finish all three pieces tomorrow...then it's off to the pool to see if they float!! LOL :thumbsup:

I started applying the epoxy/sand today. I am using Bondo fiberglass resin and harderner. It is cured within a couple of hours. I'll have to go back and stand the pieces up to make sure I can get the entire surface covered. All in all, it is a messy project, but I have a feeling it is going to be well worth all of the trouble and the wait.

Here are a couple of pics with the resin/sand curing:

DSCN3118.jpg

DSCN3119.jpg

very cool build, I normally dont like foam walls, but if your able to pull it off with the included spraybars, I dig it.

I would suggest much larger pumps than maxijets though..

-Chris

Thanks guys! Lifey, I'm going to start with two 800 GPH powerheads...if that doesn't do what I'm looking for, I might have to add a couple elsewhere in the tank.

I finally got the tank on the stand and placed my finished rockwork in the tank. The pieces were much harder to put together inside the tank than outside, but I managed. In the future, I'd deffinitely try to make this a two person job.

Here are a few pics!!

DSCN3137.jpg

...with the foam/rock wall...

DSCN3142.jpg

...and from the side view...

DSCN3144.jpg

One of the best rock walls I have ever seen. I can't wait to see the tank with fish and corals. Interested to see how the T5's work out.

One of the best rock walls I have ever seen. I can't wait to see the tank with fish and corals. Interested to see how the T5's work out.

WOW Thanks Reefobsession! That's the greatest compliment I could ever ask for! :spin3:

The tank is currently full of tap water for a leak check. I have a power head running on the left side of the pvc work. It is soooo cool to see debris floating in the water column and get thrown around by the multiple streams of water.

Thanks afernandez,

Let me get this thing cycled and put some livestock in it first...I still have a lot to do. The sump is not ready, the lights are not mounted, the live sand hasn't been added, nor the live rock, and my utility sink still needs to be plumbed up. Once I get all of that done and add some corals and fish, I'll post a video. Thanks for tagging along!!

Thanks guys! Lifey, I'm going to start with two 800 GPH powerheads...if that doesn't do what I'm looking for, I might have to add a couple elsewhere in the tank.

I finally got the tank on the stand and placed my finished rockwork in the tank. The pieces were much harder to put together inside the tank than outside, but I managed. In the future, I'd deffinitely try to make this a two person job.

Here are a few pics!!

DSCN3137.jpg

...with the foam/rock wall...

DSCN3142.jpg

...and from the side view...

DSCN3144.jpg

Looks sick. Can't wait to see it with Corals. I've never seen anything quite like it, hope to swing by and see it soon in person.

Just a quick update...tank looks great. No leaks, but the water level did drop by a 1/4". I figured the foam must have soaked some up. Anyway, I'm waiting on my 1 1/4" bulkheads to show up to get the standpipes built in the overflows.

Until then, should I go ahead and mix some salt and add a little live rock to start cycling??

Very cool. I've read about this foam briefly before and would love to experiment with my next tank build. Are you planning on housing a heavy coral bioload with this tank? Will you be adding additional rockwork?

Also, what is the cure time on the foam? Are there any residual phosphates or chemicals that might seep into the water? Do you rinse it at all prior to filling?

Back