140 Gallon DSA Build

T Diddy

Happy to be here
And so, the story begins with 6 months worth of finishing a basement by myself in my spare time. Of course, I did not take any before pictures...silly me. I do have a few pics of current progress.

soon-to-be entertainment room:

DSCN3085.jpg

spare bedroom:

DSCN3077.jpg

and finally, my office and fish room:

DSCN3078.jpg

DSCN3079.jpg

The 40 gallon will act as a sump for the DT which is a Deep Sea 140.

It arrived today :sad2:

DSCN3084.jpg

NO WAY MAN!!! What are you going to do?

Im still speechless here....seriously I'd cry first then seriously want to kick someones patooty

Dissappointed to say the least. Fed Ex freight dropped it off today. I got home from work all excited...opened the box, and my heart sank. This isn't the first setback involving the tank. The funny thing is, the box/packaging wasn't damaged at all. I am hoping they will resolve this tomorrow.

I was at work...mother in law was at my house. She said the driver had trouble getting it in the driveway, wheeled the pallet into the garage, said sign here...and left. When I got home, I tried to call the driver back ( he answered my call prior to delivery) but he did not answer. Now I am waiting on a supervisor to call me back. No one was available to field my obvious problem as it was too late in the day.

Dissappointed to say the least. Fed Ex freight dropped it off today. I got home from work all excited...opened the box, and my heart sank. This isn't the first setback involving the tank. The funny thing is, the box/packaging wasn't damaged at all. I am hoping they will resolve this tomorrow.

It had to of been on FedEx's part, but did the tank manufacturer not crate it? If not then they are really irresponsible to let their product go out in soft cardboard and expect the handlers to be careful with it. I've seen how the FedEx and UPS man handle packages, not to gently to say the least. "Fragile, oh yea just toss it over in that pile". Was there shipping insurance if there was you'll be fine.

I was at work...mother in law was at my house. She said the driver had trouble getting it in the driveway, wheeled the pallet into the garage, said sign here...and left. When I got home, I tried to call the driver back ( he answered my call prior to delivery) but he did not answer. Now I am waiting on a supervisor to call me back. No one was available to field my obvious problem as it was too late in the day.

There is no freaking way one fedex handler could carry a 140 gallon tank buy himself that is really irresponsible on their part. Thats why you can't send big stuff like that through them.

It waas shipped straight to my house from DSA through Hagen via Fed Ex. I assume that it will be taken care of...at least it better be.

I appreciate you sense of humor. Simply posting a photo of the DT in its current state, with the short caption, speaks volumes.

I look forward to hearing how this pans out. Good luck! I'm sorry for your loss.

I appreciate you sense of humor. Simply posting a photo of the DT in its current state, with the short caption, speaks volumes.

I look forward to hearing how this pans out. Good luck! I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks...I thought I'd spare you the entire story which involves a different original tank. One joke of a fish store + one joke of a distributor = the right tank delivered minus the predrilled holes...twice. I ordered that tank on June 26th. I was there in person for the first delivery. The second time I was probably just being jerked around. So I decided on a better aquarium from a better distributor, and now I have the right tank delivered on time and even drilled...only broken. One day I'll start my almost uber reef build

update...awaiting claim to be filed by Hagen. I spoke with DSA and Fed Ex, it looks like the tank will be replaced shortly.

In the mean time, I need to shore up the stand and get my valves sweated onto the stubbed copper pipe in the walls. Hopefully I won't be waiting too terribly long for the next tank

That's good news, how long did you have to wait for the tank last time?
When I was waiting for mine to be built weeks seemed like months. I'm sure alll the problems you keep having with the tank will soon be over.

That's good news, how long did you have to wait for the tank last time?
When I was waiting for mine to be built weeks seemed like months. I'm sure alll the problems you keep having with the tank will soon be over.

I hope you are right. This particular tank is a stocked production item, so it shouldn't be more than a week. :fun4:

The house is plumbed with PEX for the water lines, but copper is still used for rigidity and ease of attaching valves at the wall. I don't foresee any major problems, as the copper and water are not going to be in contact for long periods of time. Will my RO unit filter out the trace amounts of copper before it goes in the tank?

Oh I see. For some ridiculous reason I thought you were using copper instead of PVC for your tank plumbing :)

back to the build...

I have 120 Lbs of dry "South Seas" base rock that I got from CaribSea

DSCN3081.jpg

I plan on doing a foam/rock build as others' projects sparked my interests. The plan is to try and incorporate some water flow from within the rockwall itself.

Back