2 Centropyge Harem in 500L

angeck

Hello,

I have a 160x50x70 reef aquarium project. I wish to use only fish from Hawaii.

My base will be a Centropyge Poterri harem (3). Do you think it is possible to put a second harem like Loriculus for example.

Thank you.

Envoyé de mon Mi MIX 2S en utilisant Tapatalk

I feel the tank will be too small for 2 different groups of angels. Have you ever kept the Potter's Angel before? They're not the easiest species to care for and not as easy to sex compared to the Flame Angel.

I feel the tank will be too small for 2 different groups of angels. Have you ever kept the Potter's Angel before? They're not the easiest species to care for and not as easy to sex compared to the Flame Angel.
Not to mention the difficulty in obtaining true Hawaiian flames...

I did not take this difficulty into account. I'll have to take it into account.

After Loriculus is not my favorite. I would like Flavissima or Tibicen ...

I have no personal experience with tibicens, but I kept a lemonpeel in the past. Gorgeous fish, but it was also the only angelfish species I hated! It picked at coral more than other species I kept. It was territorial and attacked my other fish's fins. It even targeted my starfish's legs for some reason. I removed it after a month and always tell people to avoid them. I might have just had a rogue lemonpeel, but I wouldn't take a chance on one again.

I read several articles / reviews on oe Flavissima saying that it was one of the most characteristic. This says Potteri too.

In reverse Tibicen seems one of the calmest ...

Sorry I haven't see your post. No I haven't Potteri. If I put two species my opinion is to put the 6 Centropyge in the same time.

IME, male Centropyge will not coexist peacefully even if they are of different species. You may keep Flame angels and Potter angel together, but only 1 male. I had cross species (same clad) spawned before in a 450 gal tank. However, my flame back male keep the Cherub angel from turning to male.

Ok. Thanks for your help.

So maybe I just add 3 Potteri. It's my favorite Centropyge. I see many people try to have more but all the time the group pass to 2 or 3.

1 other question. If I just take Poterri I want my main fish are Poterri and a Ctenochaetus Hawaiensis. But the baby is like a Poterri. Maybe is better to put a Big Hawaiiensis and after the Poterri.

Thanks.

How bid is your tank. You list the dimension but no units so I don't know if it is in Inches or cm.
Chevron Tangs are mild manner fish. They get really large so you don't really want them in too small tank. This tang should not bother the angels you plan to keep.
attachment.php

Sorry.

160x50x70 cm

I read in database is ok with a minimum of 450L but I need a confirmation or not.

My Chevron grew quickly to 9 inches then I lost him in a tank crash in a hurricane. They can easily reach 12 inches. I have a 320 gal DT and hesitant to put one in again becasue he was absolutely the largest tang that I have. Even larger than my Foxface.

I don't think he will have a shorten life in your tank, but IMO, he is a little bit out of place due to the side. I do like smaller fishes.

Plan to have him reach near 30 cm in a few years. At least 20+ cm. Regardless of what people say, fish do get stunted growth in smaller tanks. Your fish may not grow as fast or as large in your tank in comparison to mine.

Thanks for the report.

With my futur 3x Potteri I search an other fish, to have one big cool fish. But I wouldn't have a fish to big. Just the good fish from Hawaii

Hi.

I come back with a new idea.

Do you think it's possible to have 2 potteri and 2 loricula. If the 4 are small and add the same day.

The objectif is to have 1 male and 3 female but this 2 species. So not 2 harems.

I think that because I see hybride loricula/potteri so maybe it's possible to have the both species in the same harem.

Thanks.

Hi.

I come back with a new idea.

Do you think it's possible to have 2 potteri and 2 loricula. If the 4 are small and add the same day.

The objectif is to have 1 male and 3 female but this 2 species. So not 2 harems.

I think that because I see hybride loricula/potteri so maybe it's possible to have the both species in the same harem.

Thanks.

I would stick to one species. Your tank is simply not big enough, even if you try to add 2 pairs instead of 2 groups. There will be fighting between 2 species. They are similar in shape and size. Therefore, they will see each other as competitors and will compete for resources (food, shelter, mates). Also, hybridization between species normally happens by luck in the wild. Yes, the hybrids exist in the wild, but that's in a huge open space, not the confines of an aquarium. If you add 2 of each species, their goal will be to establish their territory and to mate. There will be no stopping either species from developing into males and then attacking each other.

Also, don't add only smaller/similar sized angels if this is your plan. For a group of 3 potters, add 1 larger individual and 1-2 smaller ones. This will increase your chances of successfully grouping them. Do the research for the needs of the Potter's angel please. They are not easy to keep and are quite expensive nowadays.

You can have 2 species but only one male. You can add three small ones and 1 large Angel. The Large angel will become male. He will keep the rest from change sex to male. Good luck. IME Flame and Potter will be fine together I. A 500 L tank.

Last edited:
Ok. So the best for you is add 1 Big and 2/3 smalls. I read differents possibilities but ok.

For the group potteri or potteri/loricula I search differents opinion or the must differents tests.

Maybe one guy have the 2 species in 400L/500L/600L/700L...

Do the research for the needs of the Potter's angel please. They are not easy to keep and are quite expensive nowadays.

I read I read. But I don't see a Big difficulties. If you have some articles...

In my 93 cube I have a pair of potters and a female watanabe. I know your tank is bigger but my Potters use every inch of my tank and barely tolerate each other! I cant imagine them tolerating another pair of similar species! They ignore the Watanabe and she ignores them....So you may want to consider a pair of Genicanthus instead. Good luck! Potters are my favorite!

Hello.

90 gallons ?
It's a couple ? Or just two fishes ? When have you bought the potteri's ?

Watanabei is a beautiful fish but hard to have in a shop. I'm in France.

Back