240 gallon acrylic reef build

I had lots of issues with the same pump you have. Went back and forth with them many times, and finally gave up and went with a submersible pump. Hope you have better luck.

Looks awesome! And you're going to have to take this whole set up and move it? My wife would've killed me for trying to do that.

@Lucked, I got a new job and part of the deal was that I had to bring my current fish tank. That'd be nearly impossible since I live in Florida and the new job is in Durham North Carolina. The only solution I could come up with was to setup and install a tank up there a week or so before I bring up my live stock. I'm wet testing everything in my garage to make the install as painless as possible. Hopefully I can get nearly everything done this weekend. I have to pick up the moving truck next Sunday!

@Newbie, this will be a good move for me. It's a great job and a pretty big career advance so I'm happy to move on :)

I put the doors on today :) Looks better than I could have expected. I'm really excited to get this done now.

st64.jpg

st65.jpg

I had a major catastrophe today though. The 3/4" bulkheads on the return lines all cracked. I only noticed in when one of them exploded and started spray water all over the place. I guess there was too much stress on the bulkhead from the spa flex, so I'm going to have to find a way to reduce the strain on the bulkheads. I ordered 8 more, but for the time being I just routed some plumbing tubes through the bulkhead holes.

I forgot to take a picture, but I got the baffles working. I bought a different style window gasket. It's 5/8" wide and has like 5 little grippy ribs on it. It's holding really well so we'll see how it does after a week or so of water stress.

I also got out my PAR meter, 1000+ 3" below the water line, 600 at 12", 300 on the bottom. Doesn't get much better than that!

Cool. I am happy for you and your family. You will be missed until you get to your new stomping grounds. As for the bulkheads, you are using spa flex on them right?

@newbie, Yep, spa flex. I do think that they may have failed because I used some old rectorseal 5 on them. It was liquidy, not solid like it's supposed to be and I think it weakened the ABS of the bulkhead. It also says on the tube to use their T2 Teflon product on ABS, so likely this was a combination of things. I'm just glad it happened in my garage and not during the install.

@Fote, There's two of them and my initial impression is that they are loud. I can't imagine anyone actually runs these in the Nutrient Transport Mode. They sound obnoxious.

We'll see how they do in a room that doesn't echo. One of them had the cooling fan unseated, so I snapped it back on with a screw driver. It must have come off during shipping.

Looking good and you finished it pretty fast! Are you going to break it down for moving? Good luck with the move!

I installed the tank in its final location on Monday/Tuesday. I was up until 2am packing the truck, woke up at 6am, drove 10 hours, and then was up til 4 am installing it. Here are the final install pictures. I'll be bringing my fish and coral up Saturday. Hopefully I can get better pictures then.

st77.jpg

st78.jpg

Back