240g tank w/fish room build

Very exciting Roger and Congrats....Melissa is a trooper I say it every time!

Bigger and better are words you live by eh?

According to those specs, that Deltec pulls similar amount of air but at twice the electrical usage and more water throughput of an i-TECH model 400. Will you be running both on the same system? Curious to see which pulls organics first.

if I had an itech 400 I probably wouldn't have gotten this one. I have an i tech 200. unfortunately someone stopped making i tech skimmers so they're hard to get.

From my research i have found the size pump to use is 1 to 1.5 system water volume. So i will be using a pump around 400gph thrrough the skimmer. This should keep contact time for a very long time with this size body.

I though you had a model 400. Still I'd be curious to see how a model 200 does against it. Maybe one day i-TECH will return and all will be right again with the universe. ;)

The flowrate of x1-1.5 tank volume is correct for that skimmer design.

I may run them both on current system just for fun for a few days? Thx for conferming flowrate. Is closer to 1 or 1.5 better? What would be the change in results?

I though you had a model 400. Still I'd be curious to see how a model 200 does against it. Maybe one day i-TECH will return and all will be right again with the universe. ;)

The flowrate of x1-1.5 tank volume is correct for that skimmer design.

I tried to get my hands on itech 400 for the past 2 years but I kept just missing them :( love my 200 though. I don't think I will sell it. I will be setting up some other systems it would be great for.

My preference for that skimmer design (ie Deltec, EuroReef) is running the water throughput a the greatest possible speed that does not force the micro bubbles out the exhaust.

Running the return completely submerged isn't an issue as long as you eliminate the risk of developing a siphon. A siphon will drain the skimmer much more quickly than intended and not allow proper function.

John do u know if the outlet for this skimmer can be under water completely to keep the noise down?

I think I answered my own question. If I do that and turn off the inlet pump then if the outlet is under water it will drain entire skimmer. So that's out. Need a new idea to keep the splashing sound down

drill a small hole in the outlet above the water line to break the siphon? I do this with all my skimmers. Sure - a little bit will flow out of the hole - but no big deal.

Also - consider you're going positive pressure all the time - you shouldn't have a back siphon occurring unless you shut the skimmer down, right?

Edit: even better idea - after looking at it again - why dont you open up a small hole in that stand pipe at the very top?

drill a small hole in the outlet above the water line to break the siphon? I do this with all my skimmers. Sure - a little bit will flow out of the hole - but no big deal.

Also - consider you're going positive pressure all the time - you shouldn't have a back siphon occurring unless you shut the skimmer down, right?

Edit: even better idea - after looking at it again - why dont you open up a small hole in that stand pipe at the very top?

Yes I was worried about power outage and the restart the circulating pumps would be running dry if syphon happened

Ok skimmer up and running on current setup. As long as the wife lets me keep it there long enough I will leave it on for a bit. Going to let it run for a couple days to get it broke in. Then I will turn the itech on too per johns request. We can c how they do against each other.

20150202_154603_zpsgathsk1d.jpg

Roger

Ok so gathering parts I will need. I haven't decided if I want to piece together lighting from what I have laying around the house or if I want to do something else.

Option 1 halides, t5, blue led strips
Option 2 halides, blue led strips
Option 3 ati 10 bulb t5 with blue led strips.

I have about 300 lbs of rock to work with at this point. I have picked up some here and there and I have purchased 100 lbs of dry rock from BRS.

Still deciding if I want to go in wall or if I want to run it in the house using the skin. Even if it's in the house the sump and all equipment will be in the garage still.

I think an in-wall shows commitment. ;) I would certainly use that very nice stand skin as the facade for the tank in the wall and hinge the top for easy access. Looks good and less of a footprint in the house.

Roger, I like not having in wall so I vote with Crazy eyes. I vote for Option 1. Is a LED and T5 setup only a possibility?

Back