240g tank w/fish room build

Lighting, haha. Sorry for the confusion. I'm adding T-5 supplements to my 300 and I was debating what route to go :)

Lighting, haha. Sorry for the confusion. I'm adding T-5 supplements to my 300 and I was debating what route to go :)

2 mH = 500w
4x80w t5 = 320w
2 50/50 led strips = 108w
Blue led strips = 108w if I do 2 of them

Total. =1,036 watts about

I haven't decided what bulbs I will use for the t5 yet.

Maybe

2 actinic and 2 blue plus I'm not sure it will depend on how much blue the led put out on there own and how much white the mH put out. I will c what needs help the blue or white side. I'm thinking the 50/50 led with add the white and the led blue will take care of the blue side so I may end up with 4 actinic who knows. That part I will play around with.

Roger

Ok I now have the itech and the deltec skimmers running on the same system at the same time. I guess the battle begins

Looking forward to see the comparison.I know your running a itech 200. I have an Itech 400 for my 300g build. But in comparison your deltec is a monster. My Itech is like 1/2 the size of the deltec. I have a hard time believing that the itech 400 will work as well as the deltec. If My 400 was ready to go I would let you use it to make a real comparison but I need to take it to FAOIS and get new impellers for it and also get it tuned.

Looking forward to see the comparison.I know your running a itech 200. I have an Itech 400 for my 300g build. But in comparison your deltec is a monster. My Itech is like 1/2 the size of the deltec. I have a hard time believing that the itech 400 will work as well as the deltec. If My 400 was ready to go I would let you use it to make a real comparison but I need to take it to FAOIS and get new impellers for it and also get it tuned.

I've changed the sump design so I will have plenty of room for internal skimmer too. So we can do that experiment anytime if u want. Last time I checked it both had a nice head of foam but the neck size is about double on the deltec so the foam is much larger in the deltec. That being said the itech does seem to have slightly more bubbles packed into the skimmer per sq. inch... Just a visual observation.

Roger

John since u r here.... What's the best way to compare output.... Since I did my best to run them the same as far as wetness but what's the most accurate way to measure results....volume of skimate?

Man I dont know if that's a joke or serious with having to get a skimmer tuned. But that just sounds awesome. Lol WOW

John since u r here.... What's the best way to compare output.... Since I did my best to run them the same as far as wetness but what's the most accurate way to measure results....volume of skimate?

At home, there is nothing that I would consider to be scientifically accurate. Just general observations of the skimate volume, density of color and pungentness of aroma. More concrete measurements of air and electrical draw can be easily made. Occasionally, you'll get a clear "winner" when one skimmer despite being tuned correctly doesn't collect anything while the other is producing just fine.

Roger I will get the skimmer down to john by next week and then we will test the 2. I think it would be a great test.

Ok so looks like I might be able to pick up the wood for framing in the fish room this week!!!

Update on skimmers. They both have been running fine. I will measure the out put when I get time and take some pic of darkness of skimmate too

Big thanks to Jeff jfoltz I think is the screen name. I was framing the wall for the new fish room today and he volunteered to come over and lend a hand much appreciated. 2 heads are always better then one and we (I) sure needed it a couple times. He made some problems much easier to fix! I will try and get pics up but they are on Melissa's phone. Jeff I hope the corals do well.

Thanks Jeff

20150215_131711_resized_zpsn2hwkx86.jpg

And done
20150215_190247_zpsqyolefss.jpg

Electrical, insulation and drywall/plywood next. Haven't decided yet. If I do plywood it will be easy to hang stuff anywhere no stud needed. What's your thoughts?

Also had to empty the deltec skimmer tonight. It won this round vers the itech. It had about double the skim-mate at about the same color or even darker.

Last edited:
Back