240g tank w/fish room build

electrical done. two dedicated 20A circuits for the fish room and 1 shared circut that was already in the room all 18 sockets are on gfi.

So did you insulate the garage? the attic above the new area? what about A/C? and is this a fish room or a frag room setup because im so confused. You spent all that money on Snaphooks setup and your going to install it in the garage?

MY opinion, Chris old 240 needs to be inside, he spent alot of money on that build and it was by far one of the nicest I had seen in a long time.

So did you insulate the garage? the attic above the new area? what about A/C? and is this a fish room or a frag room setup because im so confused. You spent all that money on Snaphooks setup and your going to install it in the garage?

MY opinion, Chris old 240 needs to be inside, he spent alot of money on that build and it was by far one of the nicest I had seen in a long time.

The tank will be viewable from inside the house. The tank and stand will be inside the house. Very much the way he had it setup in his place. The sump will be in the garage for the display. It is a 6ft 125 gal. The wall the tank will be on backs up to the garage. The room I built in the garage.

The other tanks will not be frag tanks. My goal is to have the ability to setup each type of coral in its own tank. So all zoa and paly in a 40 breeder, all ric and Yuma in another 40 breeder, all soft corals in another 40 breader, and bubble tip anenomy tank and so on. Chalices own tank, LPS own tank? I plan on making them all like small display tanks not frag tanks. will have 1 40 breader attached to the main system that will be an sps frag tank. And 1 40 attached to other 40s for non sps frags. All the other breeders will be on there own sump and seperate system from the 240 but will be all attached to each other. So I will have 2 systems to maintain.

Yes the new wall is insulated with r19. the ceiling above is insulated with spray insulation. The only thing I need to do is swap out the attic door with new door and ladder and so that door is insulated. As of now it is not :(

As far as ac yes I'm looking at 2 different options. Either a split unit that will just control that room, or cutting into my current house ac to do that room also. I had an ac company out they feel that what I have can handle the addition but I don't know if I'm comfortable with that so I may go with its own unit. The room finished up an 20ft by just over 9ft so it's only 180 sq ft it's about the size of the master bath in the house.

Thanks for the post I am looking for any ideas on how to improve the setup. If you have any idea please post them. I working hard on the best way to build the stand for the 40 breeders. Any ideas? I'm thinking 2 tanks tall. I plan to light each 40 with 2 t5s and one blue led strip. The sps 40 will have 4 t5 on it.

I was thinking about going with a split system AC, I even bought one at an auction, but I'm going with a portable AC instead. They cool a space much larger than a fish room and are extremely easy to install and cheaper. Have you considered that option?

I was thinking about going with a split system AC, I even bought one at an auction, but I'm going with a portable AC instead. They cool a space much larger than a fish room and are extremely easy to install and cheaper. Have you considered that option?

yes I did but all the research I have read on them says they will struggle in a garage like that but I have no personal experience. at first that was the plan until I did a little research.the split units I've looked at will do a three car garage no problem and cover much more of an area than the portable unit. I am curious which ones you looked at?

I purchased one, I'll get the specs on it and send them to you. I don't know why it being in the garage would matter though. You've enclosed the room and are only cooling that portion. It circulates the air in the room and continues to cool it while pushing the hot arm out the vent. Works like any other AC I would guess. I've run mine in my office and it gets too cold, but that's not my garage though.

My split unit was WAY over powered, my room is only 11x7x8. I only bought it because it was cheap at an auction I happened to be at and knew it was an option at the time for cooling my fish room.

No, a split unit is a European style AC with a unit inside and outside like an air handler but it's meant for only one room like a window shaker

I think he was asking what a portable ac is..... A window shaker? Not the split unit. I know he knows them cause he gave me a contact for 1.

I think he was asking what a portable ac is..... A window shaker? Not the split unit. I know he knows them cause he gave me a contact for 1.

Ah ok, portable AC looks like an air purifier with a duct coming out the back. You place the duct where the heat leaves the area you're trying to cool and the AC goes to town. Plug and play basically. Easiest, quickest, cheapest way to air condition a small space if you have a way to use the duct work.

I dont know if you have decided for in wall or not but my old house (now a rental) has an in wall and it's pretty cool and keeping the noise and moisture out of the living room is a plus. also keeps the messes out of the house.

Attachments

• 125 tarpon.jpg
    125 tarpon.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
I dont know if you have decided for in wall or not but my old house (now a rental) has an in wall and it's pretty cool and keeping the noise and moisture out of the living room is a plus. also keeps the messes out of the house.

Nice wall!!! Yes I have had an inwall tank before. I had a 125 g inwall and loved it. I have not desided yet. As of now I'm focusing on getting the rest of the room painted and I also need to deside what I'm doing for climate control.

Thanks for the pic. I loved it.
Roger

Glad that you are able to take this slow. It leaves you so many chances to correct your plan or adjust I should say when you go this route. that's one thing about us hobbiest never can make our minds up when it comes to out systems.

Back