260 gallon (96x24x26) reef and fish room upgrade

I have tested it during my leak testing after the plumbing was complete. I really like the simplicity of it, all I do is turn off the return pump line and the reactor segment of the manifold (2 valves total) and turn on the drain line. Gravity does the rest!!

What I have not done yet is calculate the total water volume that drains off, its somewhere between 20-30 gallons but I wont know for sure till I get the storage tanks plumbed in and do a water change for real.

The storage tanks are the other part I have not tested yet. The plan is to build them high enough that new SW and RO will gravity feed to the sump. I'll be working on that this weekend.

So Im guessing is all back flushed from the tank returns?

No basements is FL - at least not in our area. The water table is probably only 5-10 feet down. Many of our homes float! Concrete slab should hold it up nicely.

Lucky you. I had to change plans and put mine in the basement, or add some serious support under where I originally wanted to put it. The wife would have none of that as our basement is finished.

TS: I am talking dedicated DSB, ~8" deep, no plenum*. Power outage was at least 8-10 hours. What a stinking mess. H2SO4 out the wazoo. There was no way I was reconnecting that to the DT. I tried running fresh saltwater over the top for a while but to no avail. I even tried manually rinsing the sand out but it did no good. I had to dump it all and start with all new sand.

Dave.M

*I'm a big fan of the plenum concept but have never had the opportunity to try it.

Bit of a kick back to earlier in the thread, but it's worth noting that we can detect H2S at extremely low concentrations, and that it becomes very unpleasant for us long before it becomes dangerous for the inhabitants of our tanks.

Last edited:
Crud, guilty as charged. My weak defense is been busy at work. Which thread? Who sold me out!! lol

I'll get some pics up later this afternoon. I added my livestock from the holding tanks, including coral.

Are you going to enclose the top of the tank? Reason I ask is because I see your return vent for your HVAC right by the tank. I remember seeing a thread a couple of years ago where someone had their tank near their return and ended up having significant problems with their HVAC system. The handler started building up with salt crystals and rust. Definitely something you should look into.

Are you going to enclose the top of the tank? Reason I ask is because I see your return vent for your HVAC right by the tank. I remember seeing a thread a couple of years ago where someone had their tank near their return and ended up having significant problems with their HVAC system. The handler started building up with salt crystals and rust. Definitely something you should look into.

I am not planning on enclosing the top at all but I am eventually adding a very slim (~5") open top to conceal the T5's. You bring up a good point that I had never really heard of around the HVAC intake. I cant imagine salt getting anywhere near that intake, its about 2 ft to the right and about 2 ft above the tank and evap does not contain salt.
It would be interesting to read the thread, if you know the link. I have been monitoring humidity because I know from my in-wall tank, it will cause the vents to rust but since its been up and running with the AC going, the humidity has been the normal 50% @ 74F.

I will keep looking for it. I run a mini split in my garage where my fish room is and have to clean the salt off of the coils on the indoor unit every two months and that unit is about 20 feet away from the fish room. Granted the humidity in the garage is higher than the inside of the house.

I'm not an A/C expert, but I imagine that your garage is insulated. The small footage in the garage with no doors or windows open, will create a much higher vacuum pressure to the blower, that's the reason why you get so much salt. In his case the room seems pretty open. I believe that it shouldn't cause any problems to his air handler.

@TheAquatect: In case you see any salt crystals, just upgrade to a better A/C filter and replace it often.

More updates!

I did a bit of cleanup work on the light rack and I am really liking how its turning out. The lights are held up with 3/16" wire which I looped at each end with aluminum ferrules. Whats really nice is I can slide the lights across the black pipe if i need more intense light due to coral placement.

The lights are hung 8" from the water surface and 4 are doing an amazing job lighting this tank! Even though I'm going to do a hybrid lighting with T5, for now, this is more than enough light and the shimmer is unreal!

The only thing that bugs me is the wires but I think I will find a nice black tubing, split it and cover the wires for a cleaner look. I also need to make the wooden shelf for the light rack.

The light rack was SO simple to assemble and looks great! I bought 1/2" black pipe and fittings from Lowes. I really wanted a bit of an industrial look so it was not too modern looking and it goes with some other industrial pieces we have in the house.
I noticed that the fittings did not have the same black finish as the pipe did, so I ended up de-greasing the fittings and spraying them black. This thing ended up being 104" long, so I was glad my brother-in-law was here to help me put it up. If you are considering something similar, make sure you have some pipe wrenches because you can't really hand tighten this stuff very well.

With the lights in and working, I finally could pull my fish and coral from the temp tanks. The fish are doing great and the corals are all being acclimated over the next couple of weeks. I am also really liking the Walt Smith Fiji rock, the color is a nice change from the stark white dry rock. Here are a few shots..

Left side

Middle

Right side

hey are you going to use only kessil a360we lights,and are you going to put sps coral in.

No, I will be supplementing with T5. I do think the Kessils could light the tank without the T5, I just want to add a bit more color to the spectrum. I am looking to add ATI Actinic, Purple + and possibly Aqua Blue Special.

I do have plans to put just a few sps in, Bali slimer, stuber staghorn and a few others that i have not decided on. Also planning to have a fair amount of Monti capricornis varieties.

Noob question- what is that coral in the first tank shot on the top left with the long flowy tendrils?

Silver Gorgonian (Muricea sp.). I love gorgonians, I have had that one for about 4 years.

Wow that's a healthy c.b.b :)
Hahaha! Yep, you did a good job getting him to eat for the first weeks.

kessil a360we

kessil a360we

what color and intensity settings are you running on the kessils and how high above the water are the lights.setup looks awesome!!!!

Back