40 breeder build thread. It's centered around my clownfish!

Korrine

You could get a ticket!!
As some of you saw a while ago, I have a unique clown fish couple that I am trying to pair up and breed. I'm building a 40 breeder just for them!

Bonnie and Clyde. Bonnie is the Platinum and Clyde is a Sanjay's Black Photon

013.jpg

008-5.jpg

This was the stand canopy before it was stained

059.jpg

060.jpg

061.jpg

Stained.

012-2.jpg

Back of the tank is painted.

013-1.jpg

I'll post equipment specifics later :)

Last edited by a moderator:
looks good korrine, one thing i can tell you is you will end up with more pairs, thats what happen to me and now im loaded with pairs again,,, but its very fun and challenging raising the fry to 2-3 month old babys...good luck

I read a rumor that one of the clowns in Sanjay's pair died. Don't know if that's true or not, but there won't be anymore pure Sanjay's if it is.

Thanks guys! I'm just hoping they will become a mated pair. They are still kinda young, I think. Bonnie, female Platinum, still takes quite a few shots at Clyde. No damage, just asserting her dominance. They have been together since February. They are currently in a 10g temporary tank. The 10g will be the RO reservoir when the tank is set up.

I'm debating on which lights to use. Will probably end up with a 175w MH so I can use the 2 250's on the other tank. This will also be a reefish type tank and I do intend to introduce a RBTA after awhile. I also have a RK Lite for it. Also have some moon lights that I can stick in the hood to simulate moon risings in the hopes it will entice them to breed.

I will have a Bubble Magus Nac 3.5 Cone protein skimmer. And will also have a small fuge going.

Any questions, just ask :)

I read a rumor that one of the clowns in Sanjay's pair died. Don't know if that's true or not, but there won't be anymore pure Sanjay's if it is.

Thanks guys! I'm just hoping they will become a mated pair. They are still kinda young, I think. Bonnie, female Platinum, still takes quite a few shots at Clyde. No damage, just asserting her dominance. They have been together since February. They are currently in a 10g temporary tank. The 10g will be the RO reservoir when the tank is set up.

I'm debating on which lights to use. Will probably end up with a 175w MH so I can use the 2 250's on the other tank. This will also be a reefish type tank and I do intend to introduce a RBTA after awhile. I also have a RK Lite for it. Also have some moon lights that I can stick in the hood to simulate moon risings in the hopes it will entice them to breed.

I will have a Bubble Magus Nac 3.5 Cone protein skimmer. And will also have a small fuge going.

Any questions, just ask :)
to be honest not really rare, you can actually produce a similar fish using a black and white occy with a regular occy and create a mocha clown which looks identical to your sanjay fish, actually ive seen some heavy looking mochas that almost look onyx really nice, either way your fish is nice and im sure tey will produce some nice fry once they breed, keep up the good work and just keep trying you will get breeding down it's super easy,,,good luck!!

Thanks. What is rare is this pair! I haven't ever seen this combo :) That'd be cool if they produced Dalmatian patterned offspring.

Few questions on sump planning...this is my first sump!

Planning my sump now since my foam came in! (Using the foam baffle setup from wetwebmedia.com) http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/bafflesart.htm

Sump is a 20L so 30".
Sump will look like this with the drain landing in the skimmer compartment.

skimmer area ! return ! fuge

I will "T" off the return to feed the fuge.

Baffle height for the first 2 baffles are 10" and the last one before the return pump is 8"

Skimmer size of the Bubble Magus will be 4.5" * 6.6" * 17.1 ". Can I really just make skimmer area 6" wide to leave more room for the return area and the fuge? The stand is 36" tall so I should be fine when I need to put it in and whenever I might need to take the whole thing out. It just seems like others leave more room than that in their skimmer compartment.

well this is how it is right now. I will get to the glass company and have them cut me 1 more for my Fuge baffle. I will glue egg crate on it to keep the cheato from overflowing into the return area.

013-1.jpg

014.jpg

014-1.jpg

I had an issue keeping the tape in place as I was moving the baffle over. I think it would be easier if I had wider edpm, but they only went to a half inch wide. I might move them a tad more later...we will see.

Picked up my plumbing parts!! The black box on the right is the overflow box with it's bulkhead laying in front of it.

015.jpg

Just bought:
20lbs reef saver rock
20 lbs Pukani rock
Bubble Magus 3.5 cone skimmer
Finnex 150W Heater
175 Watt XM 20k SE bulb
Tunze AquaWind Twin Fan

Should arrive on Tuesday!

cause I'm going to have a 175w MH over a 40g tank. plus cooling the bulbs helps them last longer.

edit:
And that part of the house tends to run warmer.

Nice Korrine! I'm in the process of setting up a 40B as well. Still debating my lighting, and I'm going sumpless. I'll be tagging along to see how this progresses.

cause I'm going to have a 175w MH over a 40g tank. plus cooling the bulbs helps them last longer.

edit:
And that part of the house tends to run warmer.

You're gonna be disappointed. I ran mine for 15minutes and took it down an install a 4" pc fan instead. It's probably one of the biggest POS I ever bought for reefing. Let me know how you like yours.

Nice Korrine! I'm in the process of setting up a 40B as well. Still debating my lighting, and I'm going sumpless. I'll be tagging along to see how this progresses.

Sure. Follow right along! Hope to get the plumbing at least cut and slipped together. Hope it's glued tomorrow.

You're gonna be disappointed. I ran mine for 15minutes and took it down an install a 4" pc fan instead. It's probably one of the biggest POS I ever bought for reefing. Let me know how you like yours.

Awe. That's a bummer. How was it a POS? What didn't you like about it specifically?

I bought the aquawind to cool the tank and to replace the PC fan because I like the lower profile on the aquawind. When I plugged it in, the aquawind wasn't doing much. I can feel a breeze if I took my hand in front of it. But if I move a foot away from it, I can't feel with it's on or not.
If you're gonna use your MH, I don't think it will be enough.

Back