griss' Tank Upgrade Thread

I would build the wall and leave the space open for ceiling grid maybe.
If not attach 2x4 down supports to the jousts to support false ceiling framing that ends flush with the duct work (between the beam and the duct.
Set you wall the the left of the vent pipe as usual and attach a 2x4 runner (parallel with the pipe/duct) to screw the ceiling sheets of drywall into. You can use construction adhesive to attached the drywall to the duct if you feel that the span is too far without support. So in essence pic two with a lowered ceiling frame between the duct and beam (hung from joists) and your wall to the left with a nailer attached to accept the ceiling drywall.

I do not understand enough to say anything. I understand you want to move the wall. What will be on each side of the wall in reference to the picture. I agree a drop ceiling would be the easiest way to cover the pipes. Sticking stuff to ducting can be tricky if you use air conditioning in that duct. It may sweat.
The ducting blocks part of the window. That would be a problem.

Can I have the cat tree. Louie would love it.

The fish room will be to the left of the ducts in the picture. A family room will be on the other side of the wall.
I do not understand enough to say anything. I understand you want to move the wall. What will be on each side of the wall in reference to the picture. I agree a drop ceiling would be the easiest way to cover the pipes. Sticking stuff to ducting can be tricky if you use air conditioning in that duct. It may sweat.
The ducting blocks part of the window. That would be a problem.

Can I have the cat tree. Louie would love it.
The fish room will be to the left of the ducts in the picture. A family room will be on the other side of the wall and that will be where the tank is. Yes, I'm aware the window will be partially blocked due to the duct, but it already is. Cannot fully open that window (1 of 4) with the duct.

Demi said Louie cannot have her cat tree. :ROFLMAO:

He said "Please. The floor has gone to the dogs."
IMG_5341.jpeg
Do you need the vents in the duct for ventilation in the fish room? You could add some. Framing is framing.
I would make a header below the mechanical stuff tied into the roof rafters above. Frame to the floor. Below the stuff in the family room cover the ceiling below the pipe with drop ceiling or acoustic tile. Then frame up to the ceiling there and drywall it.
865129A1-2282-49CC-9600-BA0BA34BD0C5.jpeg

Wow that's bad. New to Macs. grabbed a drawing app.

He said "Please. The floor has gone to the dogs."
View attachment 32385894
Do you need the vents in the duct for ventilation in the fish room? You could add some. Framing is framing.
I would make a header below the mechanical stuff tied into the roof rafters above. Frame to the floor. Below the stuff in the family room cover the ceiling below the pipe with drop ceiling or acoustic tile. Then frame up to the ceiling there and drywall it.View attachment 32385895
Wow that's bad. New to Macs. grabbed a drawing app.
Loving the artistic licence ! !

Six years in a trash can cooking. Decided to bring it out to bleach in the summer sun.
One of the reasons I took the tank this rock was in down was a horrible outbreak of HA and Bryopsis. I’m wondering now if I should use it again? It’s been in a 40 gallon Brute, in the dark in saltwater, with heater and circulation pump since 2017. For the last two months I’ve also run gfo in the Brute.

Should I do and acid/vinegar bath followed by a bleach bath and then soak in FW?

Last edited:
One of the reasons I took the tank this rock was in down was a horrible outbreak of HA and Bryopsis. I’m wondering now if I should use it again? It’s been in a 40 gallon Brute, not the dark in saltwater, with heater and circulation pump since 2017. For the last two months I’ve also run gfo in the Brute.

Should I do and acid/vinegar bath followed by a bleach bath and then soak in FW?
IMO bryopsis has gone from the worst to eradicate to the easiest with fluconazole, and many herbivores eat hair algae so I wouldn't let those reasons stop me.

IMO bryopsis has gone from the worst to eradicate to the easiest with fluconazole, and many herbivores eat hair algae so I wouldn't let those reasons stop me.
I corrected a typo above, it was in the brute in the dark. Would you acid or bleach bathe it or just use as is?

and I would eventually add a Lettuce nudi/slug. I added one to my 120 and I now have issues with no food for my 3/4" lettuce.....it ate all my algae...all sorts....all gone!

I corrected a typo above, it was in the brute in the dark. Would you acid or bleach bathe it or just use as is?
I think if you just want to kill potential algae spores then 10:1 RODI:bleach will take care of that. You thinking acid bath to leach out more phosphates? I've honestly never done either thing.

I think if you just want to kill potential algae spores then 10:1 RODI:bleach will take care of that. You thinking acid bath to leach out more phosphates? I've honestly never done either thing.
Yep, was thinking about the acid bath to leach out phosphate. I do have some muriatic acid I bought a long time ago thinking about doing the acid bath. But, the more I'm reading on it I'm not sure I want to risk it so I was considering going with a less caustic method of vinegar. I suppose I could go the bleach route first and then put the rock in RODI water and test for phosphates.

10 pounds $80 free shipping at Spice Sage. That is where I get my pickling lime in large quantities.

Thanks @wvned and @JohnL The more I'm thinking about it, I really don't know if there's PO4 bound in the rocks. They've been in a Brute, in the dark, in saltwater with heater and circulation since sometime in 2017. I've occasionally done water changes on the Brute over the years. For the last several months, I've been doing regular water changes and also have been running a high amount of Pura PhosLock. So, phosphate might not be an issue. I think I might do the bleach treatment first, then put them in fresh RODI and test for phosphates. If they're leaching, I'll look into an acid batch.

Reality is, I won't be using most of these rocks anyway as they came from my old 92 corner bowfront and are too large for the 75. To be honest, I'm not sure why I've hung onto those larger rocks. Probably because I'm a bit of a reef hoarder and one never knows when they will set up a larger tank :ROFLMAO:

Back