griss' Tank Upgrade Thread

Okay, the 75 has been discontinued.

Over the weekend, I bought a used compete 120 system for an incredible price.

The good news:
I got a ton of equipment with this tank. Some I’m keeping and some I’m selling as it’s redundant to equipment I already have. General overview of what I got:
120 gallon reef ready Oceanic
Stand
(2) Radion XR15 gen 3 Pros
eShopps sump
Jebao DCT 8000 pump
(2) skimmers
Complete 75 gpd RODI water mixing station
And a bunch of other small items.

The bad news:
When I looked at the tank on Saturday, the seller had it stored in their basement under the steps with no light. I could tell there were some scratches but in place it didn’t look bad so I agreed to buy and paid. I took the sump and all accessories Saturday, going back Sunday with manpower to get the tank and stand.

On Sunday, our son and his buddy went with us to carry the tank out. The boys grabbed the tank and loaded into the car before I could get a closer look. Once in my basement, I got a good look and the scratches were worse than I originally thought…no wonder I got such a good price.

Anyway, after making some calls, I found a local glass company willing to buff the scratches out. There in only one small scratch I can catch my fingernail on and the glass guy feels he can get the rest out for around $100. The catch is, I have to bring it to his shop (45 minutes away) and they’re only there M-F 7:30 to 4:30. So, I need to find time to take off work to take it down there.

Also, being Oceanic, this stand is really old and will need some reinforcing to be structurally sound. That shouldn’t be an issue since I did this with the 75 gallon stand I got from my Mom as noted upthread.

Finally, Mrs griss put her foot down. I cannot take the tank to the glass guy until the wall is moved so the tank/stand can be put into place and not moved again. Guess I better get my butt in gear and move that wall🤣

Sounds like some work but doable none the less. Got any unknown work holidays coming up?

Yesterday was a work holiday🤣.

Might pick up some 2x4’s this weekend and get my butt in gear.
I’ve got plenty of projects in the list at my house if you’re looking for something to do 😎.

I should have everything I need to build my new lights this weekend…can’t wait

Might be a while. The stand is in the garage currently and the tank is in the basement. The person I bought this from bought it used. Either the original seller or the person I bought it from just cut all the PVC plumbing. So, I've been removing the bulkheads to (eventually) replace them. Also, one of the overflows was cracked/broken where the Loc-Line was located. My Weld-On had dried in the tube so, I had to order more. Just got that last night but didn't have time to reglue the overflow.

Alright @kfisc you shamed me into pics🤣

Attachments

• IMG_5906.jpeg
    IMG_5906.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5905.jpeg
    IMG_5905.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5904.jpeg
    IMG_5904.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5903.jpeg
    IMG_5903.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5902.jpeg
    IMG_5902.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Since I have a more robust RODI than what came with the mixing station, I removed it from the end where you see the upright 2x4s. I’m selling the RODI that came with this and will replace with my 7 stage once the fish room is built.

2x4’s to build the wall that will divide the fish room from laundry room have been purchased. On the way home with them now. I have the boy’s assistance (he works construction) for a few hours today.

Back