47G SPS...Revamp

Tank is looking great, nice job bringing it back. I've been struggling to register any nitrate in my tank and was considering dosing some form of nitrate. I see you just raised yours from .02 to 5 . May I ask how you dosed the Nitrate and what you used ? Thanks and good luck with the Zeo.

I am hoping the remaining brown acros colour up under Zeovit power.

The zeolite must be soaked in RODI water before use; there is a lot of dust that needs to be removed. There are reports that rinsing them removes silicates as well...though I dont know about that.

In terms of results, the tank is at low nutrient state already. Carried out a battery of tests today:

Ca: 390ppm (need to increase a little)
Alk:7.7dKH
K: 390ppm
NO3: 5ppm (was less than 0.2ppm...I dosed some Potassium Nitrate to bring it up)
PO4: 0.024ppm (Elos High Res)

PO4 has been around that level for nearly a month without the use of any PO4 remover.

Not sure if you seen the new photos a page or so back Mike, but I am not sure the corals that are already coloured up will improve much. I am hoping the brown ones colour up and the ones starting to colour up look much better.

We shall see what happens mate. If the brown acros colour up I will be very happy.

Ouch...thats like 33 times the amount. I NEVER hold bottles of ANYTHING...be it fish food/additives/supplements over the tank. Murphy is always against me...so I only have the dropper over the tank. The bottle will never be held over the tank. My kids are always bumping into me etc...so easy to drop things.

Yah, it completely bleached out a couple things :(

Many thanks buddy. :thumbsup: Got the info I needed. :)

Thanks! :)

Thanks. I love the colours in your tank. I have two colonies of the Red Planet. Thinking of selling one once I am certain the tank is clear of AEFW's.

It was a right pain in the rear. I still have one more large scale dipping session to go through. After that it will be random searches carried out. Hopefully I have beaten them for good.

:uzi:
I'll have you know that many corals were and are still brown. I'm being sneaky and showing off only the coloured up ones. :crazy1:
I suppose the remaining ones since they are maricultured just need time.

Your corals are way more colourful than mine. You just need to improve your photography a little and you could show some awesome SPS colours. :p

Hybrid Zeovit System:

With regards the hybrid system...I am starting the Zeovit tonight. Been soaking the Zeolite for a few days and will go in the system along with a reactor once the kids go to sleep.

I am planning to run the half of the Zeolite and half of the Start2 carbon source. I will also run the zeovit reactor at approx 1/3 the recommended flow.

According to Zeovit guidelines, for my tank I should be running the following:
-1/2 Litre Zeolite
-50GPH flow through the reactor
-0.8ml ZeoStart per day
-2 Drops Zeobac 2-3 times a week

For this hybrid system
-1/4 Litre Zeolite
-18GPH flow through the reactor
-0.4ml ZeoStart per day
-1 Drop Zeobac 2 times a week (initial dose will be slightly higher in order to kickstart the system)
-Maintain my Prodibio dosing every two weeks

This should allow me to run a "soft" Zeovit system. Running this way should eventually give me the benefits of the system, but with a much gentler approach. This should also provide a slightly bigger buffer zone/bigger safety net for mistakes/stupidness by me/parameters going out of whack.

Lets see what happens in the coming 3 months. :uhoh3:

Sounds like a plan buddy what is your total water volume? I would suggest running 3 on 3 off for the zeoite. What reactor are you using? Make sure u put the smaller stones in a mesh bag they tend to block the holes of reactors. And is there a reason why you're using start2 instead 3? Question the probidio that u use is that some sort of carbon dosing?

And i don't know about my corals being more colorful but i do need to learn to use my cannon lol..

Yah, it completely bleached out a couple things :(

Sorry man. Hope they are just bleached and not had complete tissue loss. Bleached corals can recover. Just reduce the lighting and feed extra to help the corals recover from the bleaching.

Sounds like a plan buddy what is your total water volume? I would suggest running 3 on 3 off for the zeoite. What reactor are you using? Make sure u put the smaller stones in a mesh bag they tend to block the holes of reactors. And is there a reason why you're using start2 instead 3? Question the probidio that u use is that some sort of carbon dosing?

And i don't know about my corals being more colorful but i do need to learn to use my cannon lol..

I am using a custom made Cleartides reactor. Was relatively cheap, but had the maker ensure it works well and I changed one or two things.

I hate the smaller stones...

The reason I am using start2 is because I have a large bottle from a few years ago.

The Prodibio is a very gentle form of Carbon Dosing. Iwan had an amazing tank running Zeovit and Prodibio...so I know the two systems can be combined (though I doubt I will have the same success :lol: ). Since I am running a reduced version of the Zoevit, I will be continuing the Prodibio.

47G SPS...Revamp

Sahin, I remember you posted this image a while back
2f2ea2e53111d83218de31d4a20c379e.jpg

Do you have the high quality version saved somewhere? I have decided on the weekly dipping for 6 weeks now, colours and growth I just do not want to sacrifice.

Tank is looking great, nice job bringing it back. I've been struggling to register any nitrate in my tank and was considering dosing some form of nitrate. I see you just raised yours from .02 to 5 . May I ask how you dosed the Nitrate and what you used ? Thanks and good luck with the Zeo.

Hi, I use the following product: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlourishNitrogen.html

I dosed 5mls each time for about 4-5 occasions. There are much cheaper products sources of nitrate out there. Sodium Nitrate, Pottassium nitrates powers etc.

When I initally added it it would rise and fall right back, after the 4 and 5 additions, it is staying ar around 5ppm.

However I am not sure that it had any real effect on the corals, so for the time being I have suspended its use as I am starting my hybrid zeovit system and dont want to mess around with too many products etc.

Sahin, I remember you posted this image a while back
2f2ea2e53111d83218de31d4a20c379e.jpg

Do you have the high quality version saved somewhere? I have decided on the weekly dipping for 6 weeks now, colours and growth I just do not want to sacrifice.

I just used google image search and just posted the img link. Not sure if there is a high quality version. Will search tonight.

I am glad that you have decided to dip your corals. It is time consuming process, but has to be done I guess.

If you need any info, let me know.

You where right buddy,i did miss that pics...that's what happens when you spend too much xbox time:)
Tank and corals look awesome!
My god...the colors:inlove:
It looks like you beat that aefw for good...respect for that and your patience!

Sad that you left me all alone in that brown acro club but happy for you, leaving:p

You where right buddy,i did miss that pics...that's what happens when you spend too much xbox time:)
Tank and corals look awesome!
My god...the colors:inlove:
It looks like you beat that aefw for good...respect for that and your patience!

Sad that you left me all alone in that brown acro club but happy for you, leaving:p

Lol my corals are not even picture worthy!

So I think we are officially in the "brown but not out" club!

I nominate my self as "the president of the brown sps club" lol

Hey Sahin,

Things are really looking good in your "revamp"! The last set of photos show very nice coloration. I wish I was as good of a photographer as you. Following...

Didn't realise that you were the man behind this tank, I love it mate!! Been following along for ages now and you've done a killer job, those colours are amazing!

Hey Sahin,

Things are really looking good in your "revamp"! The last set of photos show very nice coloration. I wish I was as good of a photographer as you. Following...

Thanks man. Things are looking better. Last night I was looking at my Pink Millepora and it is looking better than it did in the photo I posted a couple of pages back.

With the photography, a decent camera with a good lens and lots of practice = some nice shots. :D

Didn't realise that you were the man behind this tank, I love it mate!! Been following along for ages now and you've done a killer job, those colours are amazing!

Thank you for following my thread. Those are only the nicer colours/corals in my tank currently. I have a few corals that are refusing to colour up. :hammer:

But overall, the current system isnt doing too bad considering the tank is less than 6 months old. :)

Yep we definitely need to see some updates please Sahin my friend. I wouldn't be too concerned about the poopy acros as it's still very early stages as you say mate :)

I'm pretty sure your pink milli is way prettier than mine which will annoy me no end...........

Yep we definitely need to see some updates please Sahin my friend. I wouldn't be too concerned about the poopy acros as it's still very early stages as you say mate

I'm pretty sure your pink milli is way prettier than mine which will annoy me no end...........

Here is the post I made a couple of pages back.

Was brown a month or two back...was going to throw it away...glad I didnt.
DSC_6329_zps84ae09f0.jpg

Photo shows bluey purple colour, but it is an intense and striking metallic purple...love the colour coming out on this one.
DSC_6337_zpsa524e486.jpg

Echinata?
DSC_6331_zps11a68e82.jpg

Had this one from before...could not pull the intense green and the purple rim. Looks happy now.
DSC_6332_zpse944389d.jpg

This one has blue tips, sky blue and also red/purple corallite rims...but cannot capture the colours as it is right up near the surface.
DSC_6327_zpsc90e15ad.jpg

Speciosia I think. Love the blue polyps.
DSC_6330_zps5828b70b.jpg

SSC. This one was butchered by the AEFW's. Lost the red completely, only recently turned green. Its not the usual Aussie SSC but a variant which I like better. I lost my Aussie SSC in my buddys tank.
DSC_6325_zps01f924b3.jpg

This hot pink Millepora was absolutely ravaged by the bastard AEFW's. Had a colony...this frag was made up from 3 branches I cut off and kept. It has grown and joined together. Previously it didnt have green polyps...the pink is starting to appear on the corallite edges.
DSC_6374_zps3b30dffd.jpg

Green Turaki with sky blue tips.
DSC_6372_zps2c2c9231.jpg

Random yellow/green.
DSC_6356_zps27259db0.jpg

Yep we definitely need to see some updates please Sahin my friend. I wouldn't be too concerned about the poopy acros as it's still very early stages as you say mate :)

And another post.

Frag given to me by my buddy. Looks lovely when grown. Starting to get colour.
DSC_6357_zps6fbaaeb4.jpg

Blue Tort. Had to nearly 3 years now. Grown from a tiny frag. Despite AEFW's and others disasters which are all Biggles's fault, it is still with me. Tough coral and one that keeps good colour when others dont.
DSC_6368_zps7092f9f2.jpg

Bought because it had blue tips in the LFS tank and I though it was a Blue Millepora...well it bloody isnt. It has started to get red/purple branches, with a green base and blue tips! Notice the bright blue growth ring too. :)
DSC_6328_zps20cc6fb6.jpg

Other side. It is sitting directly below an ATI AquaBlueSpecial and pulling some awesome colours. I speak highly of this tube, but most people bash this tube and say it washes out colours. Not for me. Given time, this tube by ATI is pretty cool.
DSC_6366_zpsf4d72218.jpg

Red Planet. This is the 2nd half of the colony I had to break up because it too bloody large to dip. Awesome coral. Keeps colour easily.
DSC_6364_zps9a8c834f.jpg

And finally an FTS.
DSC_6387_zps7030e219.jpg

+1 on the update!
Any sneaky additions?:p

p.s
Whenever i say sneaky,bello comes into my mind!!!:)
Where is he?

Hooley dooley mate, you are definitely back on track. You have a lot of beautiful frags coloring up nicely you sneaky bugger :) I'm really pleased to see you above all others seeing some rewards at last for all you give to the hobby mate.
Awesome stuff :thumbsup:

Back