47G SPS...Revamp

I really really hate you and those mates from down under who can change ugly corals into beauties. :uzi:

hey sahin, quick question about your overflow. I am in the mits of building a new system and was wondering your personal thoughts of your overflow. such as noise concerns and how much water passes through it lph/gph. What size return pump you run and are you satisfied with it? any insight would be helpful because theres not much info out in the states. Ive always used a bulky overflow box with a durso, but I Want more real estate and less noise. BTW, Congrats on beating the dreaded worms and your acrosssssss' are sure beautiful!

hey sahin, quick question about your overflow. I am in the mits of building a new system and was wondering your personal thoughts of your overflow. such as noise concerns and how much water passes through it lph/gph. What size return pump you run and are you satisfied with it? any insight would be helpful because theres not much info out in the states. Ive always used a bulky overflow box with a durso, but I Want more real estate and less noise. BTW, Congrats on beating the dreaded worms and your acrosssssss' are sure beautiful!

Hey buddy. I am so glad I got rid of the bulky ugly space taking internal overflow box.

Noisewise, its as quiet as my durso overflow and internal box was. The ONLY noise is the noise as the water exists the drain in the sump; that was the same with the durso. I can build a durso style noise reduction thing into the drain in the sump; but its not loud at all.

I am using an Eheim 1250 pump. Not sure of the GPH, but you can look it up easily.

With my sump door closed, I cannot hear the Oceanlife overflow; I can hear my MP10 and the hum of the skimmer though.

Some people do complain of noise issues etc, but I think that is due to using too low or to high a flow.

Since my tank is under 50G I opted to use only 1 overflow unit; with tanks larger than this, I'd use at least two.

Since you are building a new system, I would seriously consider the herbie method. These European style over flow systems cost quite a bit and there is no emergency overflow built in.

Hope that helps. if you need to ask anything else, just ask. :)

wow buddy,just saw the pics!!!
Colors are awesome:inlove:
Looks like you have great photo skills too:)
So glad that everything is doing/looks amazing:beer:
All you hard work and persistence,did pay off...and big time too!

wow buddy,just saw the pics!!!
Colors are awesome:inlove:
Looks like you have great photo skills too:)
So glad that everything is doing/looks amazing:beer:
All you hard work and persistence,did pay off...and big time too!

Thanks Mike. I am just glad that the AEFW's are beat (to the best of my knowledge-I know the signs very well and so far all my acros look fine). It goes to show that AEFW's are beatable with bit of patience and effort. With small systems they are not a reefers worst nightmare.

At moment maybe aorund 70% of SPS are coloured up. I am working on getting all the acros coloured up.

As far as the Zeovit hybrid system goes...its not. I stopped it this weekend because I'll be away with the family on holiday soon. And I am not going to risk leaving the acros with zeolite running through the system.

I am too scared to lose some of my prized acros that I've grown over the past 2-3 years and have just come out of an AEFW battle. If the Alk was to drift outside the strict range Zeovit requires it could result in STN...I wouldnt want to come home to that. Wife booked a holiday at last minute so Zeovit is stopped for now.

All I am running at moment is GAC and skimmer and the rocks for filtration.

Sounds like a plan. Well thought out.

Marty

Thanks Mike. I am just glad that the AEFW's are beat (to the best of my knowledge-I know the signs very well and so far all my acros look fine). It goes to show that AEFW's are beatable with bit of patience and effort. With small systems they are not a reefers worst nightmare.

At moment maybe aorund 70% of SPS are coloured up. I am working on getting all the acros coloured up.

As far as the Zeovit hybrid system goes...its not. I stopped it this weekend because I'll be away with the family on holiday soon. And I am not going to risk leaving the acros with zeolite running through the system.

I am too scared to lose some of my prized acros that I've grown over the past 2-3 years and have just come out of an AEFW battle. If the Alk was to drift outside the strict range Zeovit requires it could result in STN...I wouldnt want to come home to that. Wife booked a holiday at last minute so Zeovit is stopped for now.

All I am running at moment is GAC and skimmer and the rocks for filtration.

Wow... these SPS color are amazing...

I am so happy that I choose same ATI light system as yours.

Cheers....

Had this one from before...could not pull the intense green and the purple rim. Looks happy now.
DSC_6332_zpse944389d.jpg
Now that is a sweet looking undata.
Great stuff Sahin.

Really good to see you're getting your acros back under control mate, the colors returning is all you need to know you're well and truly on the right track again :thumbsup:

The ONLY positive i can summon about that thing Greg likes is that the nobby bits will let the putty grab well when you cover it with a real coral..........:p

Hey buddy. I am so glad I got rid of the bulky ugly space taking internal overflow box.

Noisewise, its as quiet as my durso overflow and internal box was. The ONLY noise is the noise as the water exists the drain in the sump; that was the same with the durso. I can build a durso style noise reduction thing into the drain in the sump; but its not loud at all.

I am using an Eheim 1250 pump. Not sure of the GPH, but you can look it up easily.

With my sump door closed, I cannot hear the Oceanlife overflow; I can hear my MP10 and the hum of the skimmer though.

Some people do complain of noise issues etc, but I think that is due to using too low or to high a flow.

Since my tank is under 50G I opted to use only 1 overflow unit; with tanks larger than this, I'd use at least two.

Since you are building a new system, I would seriously consider the herbie method. These European style over flow systems cost quite a bit and there is no emergency overflow built in.

Hope that helps. if you need to ask anything else, just ask. :)

Thanks for your insight! I really like the overflow and being so similar to a durso I can't go wrong. The herbie and bean are very intrusive unless done with a hang on overflow style (connected to the backwall). Then it comes to a point you almost need to cover that up. I have never had a problem with a durso except they take up a lot of space. Ill hopefully make up my mind in the next few weeks to try and order. Im leaning more towards the oceanlife checking out your setup. and blue background...Can I just have your tank hahaha :p

Thanks for your insight! I really like the overflow and being so similar to a durso I can't go wrong. The herbie and bean are very intrusive unless done with a hang on overflow style (connected to the backwall). Then it comes to a point you almost need to cover that up. I have never had a problem with a durso except they take up a lot of space. Ill hopefully make up my mind in the next few weeks to try and order. Im leaning more towards the oceanlife checking out your setup. and blue background...Can I just have your tank hahaha :p

There is also the XAqua version in Europe. Have a look at Marks thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2284841&highlight=xaqua

Mark used two of them on his tank. He imported directly from Italy I think. There are a couple of videos on YT showing the XAqua's in operation.

Hope that assists. :)

There is also the XAqua version in Europe. Have a look at Marks thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2284841&highlight=xaqua

Mark used two of them on his tank. He imported directly from Italy I think. There are a couple of videos on YT showing the XAqua's in operation.

Hope that assists. :)

so what your insisting is the oceanlife sucks and get the xaquas lol :)! the only thing that bugs me about the xaqua is they don't have the emergency slits on the sides of the screen just in case the main portion fails. other than that, they are pure genius with the oceans motion flow. You have been very helpful and I couldn't thank you enough. Probably going to splurge on the oceanlife once I order my tank. I really like the low profile, set it and forget it with cleaning features.

so hows things runnin with your system? you know what they sayyyy....an update a day will keep the doctor away! :smokin:

so what your insisting is the oceanlife sucks and get the xaquas lol :)! the only thing that bugs me about the xaqua is they don't have the emergency slits on the sides of the screen just in case the main portion fails. other than that, they are pure genius with the oceans motion flow. You have been very helpful and I couldn't thank you enough. Probably going to splurge on the oceanlife once I order my tank. I really like the low profile, set it and forget it with cleaning features.

so hows things runnin with your system? you know what they sayyyy....an update a day will keep the doctor away! :smokin:

Haha no; just putting out another product. The XAquas have a smaller footprint. So a small advantage there. Otherwise I like my Oceanlife. It is far better built. And has slits on the side if a bunch of snails decided to meet at and cover the front grill.

Tank is just cruising along. No big changes. :)

Haha no; just putting out another product. The XAquas have a smaller footprint. So a small advantage there. Otherwise I like my Oceanlife. It is far better built. And has slits on the side if a bunch of snails decided to meet at and cover the front grill.

Tank is just cruising along. No big changes. :)

nice, as we can see the change from no background to blue background in your tank. have you noticed the overall look of your tank changing colors which helps accentuate or accent your overall look to a crispy blue as well as seeing an improvement in some of your older corals?
I see everyone else opts for a black background and I had one at one point. but i noticed that light doesn't reflect properly giving the tank a darker hue compared to going blue background. I know this subject is very subjective in nature. and I know that you went blue because of past successful experiences. therefore there has to be some science into it hahaha. Do you have any input of whether this has helped with the overall scheme of things within your tank.
the beautiful reef in the sky (v1 rotate) opted for blue and his tank is sure damn perfect. and your build looks to have the same and in some areas even better potential....might have to start a new thread to see peoples thoughts
I wonder if fish geeks just over think things lol.

nice, as we can see the change from no background to blue background in your tank. have you noticed the overall look of your tank changing colors which helps accentuate or accent your overall look to a crispy blue as well as seeing an improvement in some of your older corals?
I see everyone else opts for a black background and I had one at one point. but i noticed that light doesn't reflect properly giving the tank a darker hue compared to going blue background. I know this subject is very subjective in nature. and I know that you went blue because of past successful experiences. therefore there has to be some science into it hahaha. Do you have any input of whether this has helped with the overall scheme of things within your tank.
the beautiful reef in the sky (v1 rotate) opted for blue and his tank is sure damn perfect. and your build looks to have the same and in some areas even better potential....might have to start a new thread to see peoples thoughts
I wonder if fish geeks just over think things lol.

There was an article a few years ago where they carried out PAR testing on painted V non painted/no background tanks. They found that having nothing on the back glass provided the most PAR; that the painted surface absorbs some of the light etc.

I had black background before, but I much prefer the blue background. Tank appears brighter and thats the look I prefer. Also I've been diving on a real reef and a blue background looks more like the deep blue that can be seen when looking into the distance on a real reef.

Awesome pictures man. I'm diging it:beer:

Thanks buddy. Its nice when a reefing legend like yourself posts in a mere thread like mine. :D :beer:

Back