70g Rebuild & Fishroom

tabwyo

Premium Member
Looks like I am finally going to be able to start on putting my tank back together this coming days off. It's been down since we moved into our new home. The tank will be in the basement and the room behind the wall the tank rests on will be my new fishroom. My former setup was plagued with bryopsis and since all of my livestock died in transit I haven't been in any hurry to get it set back up until I had everything the way I wanted it.

Here is a link to the thread I started with my filtration concept.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1739485

Tank is up and running. Only a cleanup crew at this point. ATS is settleing in and growing. Fish room is a tad disorganized but functional. Will keep working on it to clean up stray cords and what not. Pics up as soon as I figure out how.......

Here it goes.

First is a pic of the foam/rock wall with incorporated hoffer gurgle buster overflows.
stuff045.jpg

stuff032.jpg

Next is the through wall return plumbing. The little airlines are all siphon breaks in case of a power outage. 100% of the return is run through a OM 4 way. The two tops return through eductors. The two bottoms are plubed down the back wall through the rock work, to the front under the sand and up through two 3/4" 45's.
stuff033.jpg

stuff044.jpg

One overflow flows to the ATS. It's 4' long by 8" wide. Lined with filter felt and lit by a 48" el cheapo PC light. Light flips up for easy cleaning.
stuff035.jpg

Last edited:
Use
tags to post your pictures directly on the thread...otherwise very cool looking rock wall! A fish room for a 70G...wow.

Sorry photosuckit locked up on me.

Continueing with the ATS pics..............
stuff034.jpg

stuff036.jpg

The ATS dumps into a 75g stock tank filled with all my extra rock and lit by a ghetto rigged 150w MH light that need hung up instead of laying on boards. The "rock pool" has close to 50 pounds of LR that has been going for 5 years plus about 100 additional pounds of various dry base rock. The pool is circulated by the ATS outflow, 4 airlifts and the return from my "no light/high flow DSB & rubble tank". The pool returns to the sump to be pumped back to display.
stuff037.jpg

stuff049.jpg

The "no light/high flow DSB & rubble tank" is a standard rubbermade tote with lid fitted with two 3/4" bulkheads for inlet and outlet. The feed pump is located in the rock pool. Pic inside is with the lid open.
stuff040.jpg

stuff043.jpg

stuff042.jpg

stuff041.jpg

Last edited:
The other Hoffer returns to my "mechanical" side to be processed through a filter sock and skimmer then overflowed to the return sump. Inside this tank is also my daisy chained reactors for GFO, carbon & polymer bio-beads. I'll work in a UV unit somehow in the future. The filter sock the "mechanical filter tank" is just there basically for back up in case the top socks overflow and to reduce bubbles.
stuff048.jpg

stuff038.jpg

This is the overall room with shelfs for "fish stuff". My 55g RO/DI barrel with auto shut off. I have a top of line going over the doorway to the "mech tank" to a lifter pump set to drip every second or so. Seems to keep up with evap pretty good but I still shoot a salinity reading via refractometer every day.
stuff046.jpg

stuff047.jpg

looks nice. Its good to see the hobby is alive in riverton. We have a pretty solid group up here in sheridan if you ever get up this way. later

Fish arrived today. Stocking as of right now:
5 Pajama Cardinals
2 Talbots Damsels
1 Yellow Damsel
1 Court Jester Gobby
1 Lawnmower Blenny
2 Peppermint Shrimp

I may add to the group of Cardinals. But as it stands now this is going to be my complete sstocking list. I want to keep the fish on the smaller side to avoid that giant fish in a tiny box look.

Back