All reefers in NC & SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been scattered talk on this forum and others about setting together a local club to exchange info/goods and to network.

I'm willing to keep records and contact participants via group email about upcoming events, but can't spend time organizing.

So if interested, chime in here, PM me with your name/email address/and contact number. Once we reach a critical mass, I'll send a mass email out with everyones contact info. How does this sound?

Now, if we can get someone to organize the meeting, volunteer or set a location, I think we can get the ball moving.

Great idea K9

Great idea K9

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9427438#post9427438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by K9
Once a month is fine IF you have good event planning. As mentioned, my old group always had a guest speaker, trip to the local aquarium, barbeque, or frag-swap planned for each month. It's not too hard to find something fun for people to do for just 2 or 3-hours a month. :)

Hey K9,

I think you have a great idea. I was one of the first members when the Palm Beach Marine Aquarium Society was started in the West Palm area back in 2004. We used to get together once a month and do exactly what the South Florida club does. It initially started with meetings at club member's homes to view and talk about their tank. There were only about 15-20 folks at first that would get together. As the club grew we started to have meetings at local fish stores or larger meeting places with speakers, food, raffles, etc. That club has grown tremedously since and that is one of the things I miss the most since I moved here.

I was really dissapointed when I moved here and found out that there is really no club that meets on a monthly basis. The frag swaps at Down Under are great but I've found it hard to get to know people since there is no website for every one to chat and get to know each other. The PBMAS club was very close knit and everyone helped each other out on a regular basis.

I guess all I'm saying is that I am definitely for the idea and would be willing to help get the ball rolling. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do.

Thanks,

Pete

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9427438#post9427438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by K9
Once a month is fine IF you have good event planning. As mentioned, my old group always had a guest speaker, trip to the local aquarium, barbeque, or frag-swap planned for each month. It's not too hard to find something fun for people to do for just 2 or 3-hours a month. :)

Dunno about anyone else but I can easily imagine hanging around and talking about reef tanks for 2-3 with like-minded people, never mind the frag swap or anything else. :D The other stuff is great too but filling up time wouldn't be too difficult, I'd think.

-Sonja

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9452966#post9452966 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RedSonja
Dunno about anyone else but I can easily imagine hanging around and talking about reef tanks for 2-3 with like-minded people, never mind the frag swap or anything else. :D The other stuff is great too but filling up time wouldn't be too difficult, I'd think.

-Sonja

is that 2-3 hours, or days like it would be in my case LOL :). when we started up in greensboro we had about 10 people show up. i think our first meeting was about 2 hours long. we usually get together every other month ourselves. we usually have the meetings at one of the members homes, they give a brief tank tour, then we sit around and chat, and swap frags. our last meeting we combine meetings with another local group, and had about 20+ people. this group has been by far the best thing for my tank. you can learn so much by other people methods. some will work for you and some wont, but you still learn something new every meeting. plus its nice to know you are not the only person that shares the addiction LOL :spin2:

Hey Folks , If anyone out there by chance has an old 12g DX hood , lights and ballist for a nanocube I am still trying to find one so I can put a reef in my regular 12g nano. I know that there's alot of sites out there, I've looked at them but I hoping someone has one laying around after a light up grade thats in they're way and would sell cheap or trade. Thanx Dave E

Pete, I used to go to gatherings of FMAS all the time when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale. Good times.

Anyways, I would like to ask the Reef Central Moderators to create a forum on here for us to begin chatting with each other and to throw some ideas around. Obviously, we'd have to have a name for the organization first. How do these suggestions sound? When we come up with one to stick with, we can have the mods create a forum for us in the clubs section of RC.

North Carolina Reefkeepers (NCRK)
Triangle Area Reefkeepers Society (TARS)
Triangle Area Reefkeepers (TARK)
Triangle Reefkeepers (TRK)

I just stuck mostly with the "Triangle" idea because it's easy to identify and covers a wide area of residents. Please share your thoughts and any other suggestions you may have.

I'm still up for the small(ish) reef club thing. I am willing to hold a meeting here at my place, once it gets a little warmer and things settle down for me. I will also say that I could not hold a large club meeting at my place, especially for a rock project. I am thinking along the lines of 10 reefers, who would bring an average of 1 person with them at a maximum. I think a small thread forum for our club is a good idea as well, but think that perhaps there are more suitable climates out there...

I am still working on the rock...I am using threads here on RC as well as other places. This is a long process in that small changes have large effects of change and each individual attempt takes several days minimumm to reap any sort of result.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9455788#post9455788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by K9
How do these suggestions sound? When we come up with one to stick with, we can have the mods create a forum for us in the clubs section of RC.

North Carolina Reefkeepers (NCRK)
Triangle Area Reefkeepers Society (TARS)
Triangle Area Reefkeepers (TARK)
Triangle Reefkeepers (TRK)

I like TARS best of these. My cutesy idea of SDRAM would probably make us look back in a decade and say "Why did we name our club after that antiquated chip?!" :D And like it or not, Durham/Chapel Hill/RTP are forever stamped as Tarheel Territory...

-Sonja

And like it or not, Durham/Chapel Hill/RTP are forever stamped as Tarheel Territory...

GO PACK! :D

For those of you willing to make the drive, RASOC (Charlotte) has monthly meetings. It's not a bad drive, I used to make it every other month to attend planted tank meetings in Raleigh. Everyone who shows up is welcome.

Regards,
Phil

Phil you're funny. The only place the Wolfpack is going is back to the practice court in hopes for a decent season next year. GO HEELS!!

I hear ya on the NIT, but that's like Little League compared to MLB. Not trying to offend anyone. Sydney has done great things with the team, and they played a hell of a game on Saturday. I'm sure they will have great success in the years to come.

Hey Everyone, hope all is well. Today I got my hands on about 5 bags worth of Mag Flake. If anyone is interested I would be willing to fill up as much as a flat rate box will hold and sell it for $19 a box shipped. This stuff was hard to find but I am working out some details with the distributor to get them to sell be it per bag rather than a skid of 48-50 bags. They also sell the Dow Flake which is used for the Calcium supplement for Randy's two part. The Mag flake is for the magnesium part of the improved two part solution and can also be used to just raise magnesium levels.

If anyone is interested just PM me.

Thanks,
Bill

Is there any interest in a mated pair of tomato clownfish? Since these started spawning, they've become too aggressive in protecting their eggs for my 37g and have killed 2 fish of mine. :(

If I can't find them a new home, then I'll move them to my 70g when it's set up, but I fear they may cause trouble even in that small a tank.

They would be great in a specimen tank or a larger tank with more assertive tankmates. They host in a BTA and spawn about every 3 weeks. The male is about 1.5-2" and the female is about 4".

They are great healthy fish but from what I've read, tomato clown aggressiveness is just below maroon clown.

No specific time frame, since I'll just be keeping them if I can't find them a suitable new home.

I'd like ~$50 for the pair and would take trades for LR or fish, and maybe LPS corals. Ideally I'd like to eventually replace them with a clown pair that stays smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back