Amount of pest found in LRs are crazy...

lol

I think most of us are interested in a reef tank (you know, corals and fish) and not a worm tank

Valid counter point. They are, however, mutually inclusive. Most you would never see although I get it is personal preference.

I start with dry everything. Rock, sand, rubble, etc.
I them add all of the macrofauna and other critters that I desire. Helps me keep control.
I also dip and qt everything that I add.

What you said - Nothing wrong with biodiversity until you lose several hundred in corals over a weekend and can't figure out why until you start hearing that damned clicking noise and have to take your tank apart to find it.. No thanks - I remain a control freak.

What you said - Nothing wrong with biodiversity until you lose several hundred in corals over a weekend and can't figure out why until you start hearing that damned clicking noise and have to take your tank apart to find it.. No thanks - I remain a control freak.

you've had corals taken down by mantis or pistols?..... do tell..

what a waste of perfectly good biodiversity.......i cant believe half the crap i see on this forum.....

Good thing the other half provides useful and insightful information then or you would have no reason to keep coming back.

Good thing the other half provides useful and insightful information then or you would have no reason to keep coming back.

yeah, like 'cooking' live rock....like pretending that pistol shrimps, mantis shrimps and all those worms are taking out your expensive corals and fish , that it's not your inability to understand the micro ecosystems you're trying to maintain, or your sad husbandry techniques..it's the fault of all those tiny invertebrates that you read about by some 'intelligent' reef keeper here, the guy selling you x and y filtration to get your x and y chemistry together. because that's the real problem... right?
the pathetic nonsense i've read here makes me ill..... and then some of you have the pansy mentality to cry over what's happening to the gbr.

biodiversity, everything that op killed here, saves your 'reef' tank..
feed it with live phytoplankton, not 'cook' it with elevated sg.
quarantine your 'live' rock before introduction, observe it, remove what you don't want... there are no 'pests', just what you've been told not to have in there. all those dead worms would help maintain ops 'reef'... but now he just has a 'fish tank'.... thanks to guys like you

i have to add that i've looked at ops (evolutionz) tank and have to say that it's quite beautiful. his sps tank looks stunning... actually one of the best i've seen here on rc. the freshwater tanks look amazing, and everything looks expensive.
so please don't take what i have to as a negative to evolutionz.
definitely understands how to maintain a coral tank..... and i apologize, especially for sounding facetious.
but i stand by my statements one hundred percent.
new reefers here,
quarantine your live rock, feed your animals, water change. those critters on your live rock are valuable, all of them.

Thank you for all the valuable advices, critics and etc! i actually come from singapore and the reefing scene here is embarrassingly small, we do have couple of marine farms/shops but none of them actually carry dead rocks. yes none! we do not have the luxury of online stores such as BRS that sells a wide selection of awesome live rocks. and recently for the past years, the farms/shops in my country are focusing on promoting fake rocks. Rocks that are ready made (with nice shape size) and came from unknown source, some were resin made while some carry rocks like Aquaroche (which cost a bomb).

Infact, the only place that still sell proper live rocks is probably the place i got mine from. Our reefing culture here is always to start dry and almost 0 people uses live rocks.. We had a couple reefers losing fishes to mantis shrimps and crabs as well as bobbit worms as we generally have small tanks due to our small living space so i decided i wasn't gonna take any chance.

Its my first time curing LRs as my first tank's LRs were bought fresh from an established SPS tank who decommed, my 2nd tank's LR were bought live but bleached to ensure no pests. With this i wanted to start live but was skeptical so i decided to do a high salinity dip anyway.. looking at all your replies made me felt i was so ignorant!!

Since the damage is done, i could only rectify it.. i've done another 100% WC with salt mix and maintain a SG of 1.024, placed carbon to cope with the bad smell and will continue to do WC until they do not smell bad and from there, will seed with bacteria to make the rocks live again.

There speaks a man who has never had to tear down a tank to get rid of a pest.

Yes. .... agreed. But he obviously knows everything about reefing and everything about everyone else's experience so I am on my way to harvest all of the pests... er... biodiversity I can find and dump it in my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or he simply has a different view on keeping a reef than you guys do. Shockingly not all that uncommon to see when you gather thousands of people together, there is no "right" way to do it.

Many of those "pests" listed very well could be fine, pistol shrimps are mostly harmless, depending on the mantis could be the same. Bristle worms are great for part of the CUC. Different strokes for different folks

Or he simply has a different view on keeping a reef than you guys do. Shockingly not all that uncommon to see when you gather thousands of people together, there is no "right" way to do it.

Many of those "pests" listed very well could be fine, pistol shrimps are mostly harmless, depending on the mantis could be the same. Bristle worms are great for part of the CUC. Different strokes for different folks

+1

I think the main concern is anyone new viewing this thread and being "OMG LOOK AT ALL THOSE BAD THINGS" and then proceeding to do the same with their tank.

In the end, is it really worth killing all those creatures because there's a somewhat rare chance you "might" have a mantis shrimp which will apparently want to tear apart your whole tank?

How many guys go through this process and find no mantis shrimp or bad crabs? Many I'd assume....However we don't read about those ones do we? Meanwhile all the worms, brittle stars, porcelain crabs, etc etc etc are toast.

Certain types of mantis shrimp like to live in coral colonies which can cause damage to the specimen.

right ok....lets assume that can be an issue.... how does that translate to losing hundreds of dollars of coral in a weekend ?....

yeah, like 'cooking' live rock....like pretending that pistol shrimps, mantis shrimps and all those worms are taking out your expensive corals and fish , that it's not your inability to understand the micro ecosystems you're trying to maintain, or your sad husbandry techniques..it's the fault of all those tiny invertebrates that you read about by some 'intelligent' reef keeper here, the guy selling you x and y filtration to get your x and y chemistry together. because that's the real problem... right?
the pathetic nonsense i've read here makes me ill..... and then some of you have the pansy mentality to cry over what's happening to the gbr.

biodiversity, everything that op killed here, saves your 'reef' tank..
feed it with live phytoplankton, not 'cook' it with elevated sg.
quarantine your 'live' rock before introduction, observe it, remove what you don't want... there are no 'pests', just what you've been told not to have in there. all those dead worms would help maintain ops 'reef'... but now he just has a 'fish tank'.... thanks to guys like you

+1

I think the main concern is anyone new viewing this thread and being "OMG LOOK AT ALL THOSE BAD THINGS" and then proceeding to do the same with their tank.

In the end, is it really worth killing all those creatures because there's a somewhat rare chance you "might" have a mantis shrimp which will apparently want to tear apart your whole tank?

How many guys go through this process and find no mantis shrimp or bad crabs? Many I'd assume....However we don't read about those ones do we? Meanwhile all the worms, brittle stars, porcelain crabs, etc etc etc are toast.

agreed, this "pest" paranoia is going waaaay to far and newbies especially are almost neurotic about it..... in 25 years of reefing I have never once removed anything except for 1 urchin that kept knocking over my freshly glued frags lol

believe it or not i have never ever even removed an aptasia.....sure I have 1 or 2 but they have never been an issue, mantis, pistol, worms, crabs.... I just leave em
even vermatieds are considered pests now :hmm3: really wth

let me ask a question.....if these are bad where are all the vids of mantis killing peoples fish, I know large spearers are capable but most pests are about 1 inch long clubbers, wheres the vids ppl, show me vids of bristl worm eating you prized corals and vermateids actually causing your rtn

in response to mr potato head......
got syconid sponges in my 'reef' tank, better buy an angel fish to get rid of it.

this is the kinda nonsense that bothers me.

Pests vs reef critters

Pests vs reef critters

I started my reef with live rock and did not have any bad pests.

I was talking to my buddy yesterday about his upcoming build and we were having the dry rock vs live rock debate. Right now I have been battling Aiptasia, and I don't really think it came on the rock. I'm pretty sure it came on a frag.
So we can take all these precautions, and still get a pest.

While its true that the original poster removed some of his reef life, I believe he only removed a fraction of the life in those rocks. I think his rock is still much more live rock than dead rock. Surely the bacteria survived a little hypersalinity.

I'm a fairly heavy feeder, so I have a ton of bristle worms in my tank. They are just part of my clean up crew.

Back