Amount of pest found in LRs are crazy...

Everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks they are right. I don't have a problem with this. I have a problem with someone throwing an opinion out there and calling everyone who disagrees with him pansy. Grow up and have an adult discussion without all of the name calling.

You want all that in your tank, great, go for it. Some of us don't.

And no, it doesn't make sense that he paid for live rock plus shipping and then proceeded to kill most of the life. I've started every tank I have owned with dry rock. The hitchhikers (good or bad) have come in on colonies that I have purchased.

I had a mantis that I couldn't trap which beat the crap out of some of my coral beds every night and injured some fish. I had to tear down the tank to get rid of him. IF the OP did identify Bobbit worms in there, then why risk it. I wouldn't want that in my tank, hence the starting every tank dry.

Im still really intriqued, exactly what species of corals did this mantis beat up, did you witness this personally, i am genuinely curious as i have never encountered this before.....

Im still really intriqued, exactly what species of corals did this mantis beat up, did you witness this personally, i am genuinely curious as i have never encountered this before.....

I honestly don't remember exactly what corals as this was about four years ago before I moved house and tore down my tanks. What I remember was that on some morning when I got up there were corals knocked over, some broken. When one of the blennies turned up dead I started to suspect something so one night I slept on the couch next to the tank. In the middle of the night, I would hear clicking. I searched for the source but of course, when I turned the lights on it would stop. One night I managed to get a glimpse of something in the back before it disappeared.

Moved all coral and fish to other tank, still clicking. Moved all the rock, couldn't find it. Even after examining every piece of rock I still couldn't find it.

Took every piece of rock out and dumped it in the basement sump. Broke up some of the larger pieces until I found the little bastard hidden in a hole on a huge piece of rock. Needless to say, the chemistry of my system was screwed for several weeks while things settled back down.

Like I said - no fun, don't want to go through that again. People can obviously do what they want. For me, every since then, it's been Nuke em from space cause its the only way to be sure.

There was a thread less than 2 days ago and I think may still be on the front page about not using the term "cooking rocks" anymore. Please don't use that term.
I think trying to regulate terminology is ridiculous. As do many people on that thread. You can't just try and change terminology, that's not how language works.

I would rather not have 15 bobbit worms in my reef tank, i dont know about you guys

RIGHT - I can't find ONE store online that has a section selling Marine pests. If Bristle worms are so much fun, why do they not sell them next to the inverts? Baby Bobbit worm anyone? 10 for $9.99. Monti Eating Nudibranch? $14.99ea. :bounce1:

RIGHT - I can't find ONE store online that has a section selling Marine pests. If Bristle worms are so much fun, why do they not sell them next to the inverts? Baby Bobbit worm anyone? 10 for $9.99. Monti Eating Nudibranch? $14.99ea. :bounce1:

You are assuming a bristle worm is a pest. For most it isn't and serves a specific role. You actually do see them for sale but typically in live sand activator kits or similar products. They are also typically found on your rock if you buy live.

I know you have the bouncy emote so I know the comment is somewhat in jest but just saying you do see some of these so called questionable creatures for sale. Bobbit worms, probably not because, well, that is a known pest :) It really is to each their own though as the thread shows.

Week 1 update.

First day is what you see above,

Day 2: when i lifted the cover of the pail, the smell was horrible really horrible!!! The water are almost totally brown and interestingly there were still more dead worms (not as much as day 1 though) quickly did a 100% WC.

Day 3: Smell wasn't that bad anymore and water has infact cleared up. placed Carbon and phosphate minus into the pail. swapped pump with wavemaker as pump was emitting too much heat, rocks turned slightly blackish.

Day 3 : Smell was the same, did another 100% WC, this time round swosh the rocks in the old water to try get as much debris off as possible.

Day 4: Smell drastically improved.. still smell alittle bad though.. took po4 reading using nyos kit, still above 1ppm

Day 5: 50% WC, took out rocks to swosh around in old tank water, noticed rocks are back to the whiteish color when i first bought.

Day 7: 100% WC, 50% coming from old tank water.. hoping to introduce some bacteria into the rocks. also placed some really really old small boulders of LRs (from my sump) into the pail in order to seed the rocks. rotting smell still lingers.

I will continue 50% wc every 3-4 days. once a week when i do WC on my main tank, will use that water (filtered) and change with the pail water instead. the rocks are pretty clean now and almost certainly no "pest" inside other than bacteria! another 5 weeks to go...

Today the rocks smells like fresh ocean!! no longer having any bad smell after close to 2 weeks of soaking. took them out to try scape today!

He asks about mantis killing corals, you give him four links to bobbit worms, swing and a miss.

Actually he asked about pests killing corals. The original post said he found 15 Bobit worms. Which are pests and do kill corals. The conversation then proceeded to should you kill them or nurture / remove whatever you find and don't like. Have a nice day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly don't remember exactly what corals as this was about four years ago before I moved house and tore down my tanks. What I remember was that on some morning when I got up there were corals knocked over, some broken. When one of the blennies turned up dead I started to suspect something so one night I slept on the couch next to the tank. In the middle of the night, I would hear clicking. I searched for the source but of course, when I turned the lights on it would stop. One night I managed to get a glimpse of something in the back before it disappeared.

Moved all coral and fish to other tank, still clicking. Moved all the rock, couldn't find it. Even after examining every piece of rock I still couldn't find it.

Took every piece of rock out and dumped it in the basement sump. Broke up some of the larger pieces until I found the little bastard hidden in a hole on a huge piece of rock. Needless to say, the chemistry of my system was screwed for several weeks while things settled back down.

Like I said - no fun, don't want to go through that again. People can obviously do what they want. For me, every since then, it's been Nuke em from space cause its the only way to be sure.

I'm sorry for your troubles but mantis don't kill for fun so if it killed the blenny I doubt you would have seen any evidence. It might of knocked some corals but this could have equally been snails or crabs. Stripping your tank and the associated chemistry problems and coral loss aren't a physical result of the mantis but your intervention.
not meaning to criticise what you did or your views in anyway as most people wouldn't want a mantis in their reef but everything can't be blamed on something that didn't want to live there in the first place.

I'm sorry for your troubles but mantis don't kill for fun so if it killed the blenny I doubt you would have seen any evidence. It might of knocked some corals but this could have equally been snails or crabs. Stripping your tank and the associated chemistry problems and coral loss aren't a physical result of the mantis but your intervention.
not meaning to criticise what you did or your views in anyway as most people wouldn't want a mantis in their reef but everything can't be blamed on something that didn't want to live there in the first place.

I don't kill for fun either. But I still love a good steak.

I always start with dry rock $ saved on dry can be used to get better equipment. You also save $ on treatments that would you no doubt have to use on eradicating pests!

Actually he asked about pests killing corals. The original post said he found 15 Bobit worms. Which are pests and do kill corals. The conversation then proceeded to should you kill them or nurture / remove whatever you find and don't like. Have a nice day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actually you did say that a mantis took out hundreds of dollars in coral over a weekend......I called b.s., and still do..

Back