Amount of pest found in LRs are crazy...

evolutionZ

Hi guys, i just want to share this with you guys as im preparing for a rescape. i ended up with a bunch of old school live rock out of a farm (im not going to named it because it ain't their fault).

The rocks were great! full of life, purple coralline and all sorts of other algae.. I then proceed the process of curing or some will say 'cooking' them.

I first removed any sponges i see and any visible algae.. Then i did a 5min high salinity (1.04) dip to force
any pest to come out of the rocks. it wasn't very exciting when all i see was 2 crabs and no worms.

The rocks are soaked in a tub with a power head.

The water i used was NSW (natural Sea Water) and to my surprise, the NSW was VERY high in Po4. I used a nyos kit and it was way bluer then the 1ppm color (which was the highest it could read), so the next morning i swapped out the water in the pail with new salt mix and decided i should do a longer high salinity dip since im not satisfied with the amount of pest im seeing. I went on to increase the salinity to 1.04 and left the rocks in the tub for 9 hours with a powerhead.

When i removed the cover, the smell was horrible! and the water was brownish. I got to work and removed all the rocks and slushed the rocks in the pail before removing, transferred them to new pail with 1.035 salinity.

And what a shock i got when i empty the pail and saw the massive amount of pest!

i tried to estimate and what i got is:

~15 bobbit worms (2-3 of them were at least 15cm long)
~1 mantis shrimp
~5 pistol shrimp
~ 40 bristle worms
~ 10 weird never seen before worms
~ 5 crabs

I was expecting to have alot of bristle worms but the amount of bobbit worms were astonishing. and all these came out of 15kg of live rocks!

I am going to continue the high salinity dip for another 24 hours to ensure as little pest as possible.. and im kinda skeptical by the amount of crabs that died.

At this point, after the next round of high salinity dip, once i see no pest are dying and assuming the rocks are almost pest free( i guess all can agree its almost impossible to have pest free rocks without drying them right) i will change to normal salinity salt mix water and cycle with bacteria from my current tank for the next 4-6 weeks before preparing for a rescape.

That's pretty cool. Bobbit worms are surprising, the rest seems about right, though I suppose 'pest' is a subjective term :lol:

There was a thread less than 2 days ago and I think may still be on the front page about not using the term "cooking rocks" anymore. Please don't use that term.

Put the regular bristleworms back. Plus spaghetti worms, etc.
The rest, not so much.

what a waste of perfectly good biodiversity.......i cant believe half the crap i see on this forum.....

lol

I think most of us are interested in a reef tank (you know, corals and fish) and not a worm tank

I think both are equally interesting. I often spend more time looking in my display fuge then I do my main display. Also, the worms are not meant for 'display' purposes. They are a great member of a clean up crew. You only really see them at night.

lol

I think most of us are interested in a reef tank (you know, corals and fish) and not a worm tank

ummmmm...what part of 'reef' do you think these rocks came from? the sterile marineland part?....where the fish eat pellets only and the corals survive on the light provided by lighting du jour?...dont call it a reef tank....cus it's nothing like a reef now...its a pet store dream....or should i say nightmare

What's the point of using "live" rock if you are just going kill all the life in it. One of the joys of a reef tank is all of the interesting life that appears in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 to that. Different strokes and everything, but I'll never understand this desire to have a sterile tank.

It looks to me like the OP found some actual live rock and proceeded to do everything in his power to turn it into the boring, dead rock sold as "live rock" in every LFS because it has bacteria on it. (Of course all rocks are covered with bacteria, unless youve just autoclaved them)

+1 to that. Different strokes and everything, but I'll never understand this desire to have a sterile tank.

It looks to me like the OP found some actual live rock and proceeded to do everything in his power to turn it into the boring, dead rock sold as "live rock" in every LFS because it has bacteria on it. (Of course all rocks are covered with bacteria, unless youve just autoclaved them)

I start with dry everything. Rock, sand, rubble, etc.
I them add all of the macrofauna and other critters that I desire. Helps me keep control.
I also dip and qt everything that I add.

Should've just saved some money and bought dry rock. :thumbsup:

on a side note I was watching a guy on youtube do coral dips and amazing what little hitchhikers come along on corals. He had some bristleworms, brittle stars and a few other nasty things. :crazy1:

Question. If you are going to kill everything on the rocks, then what is the purpose of getting live rock to begin with? I mean, you're basically paying for the biodiversity then killing it off. You can get sterile, no worms/pests/whatever rock from any dry rock source. By curing the rock to the point of killing every thing (and yes you can cure rock without killing everything) you defeat the entire purpose of paying that price for the live rock.

While I totally get not wanting to deal with pest worms and such (I hate fire worms and am allergic to them) but I would never cure my rock to death. Those critters are an important part of the eco system in your tank.

On the word "cooking rock". I personally don't like that term much (and yes I've used it) but in all honesty, depending on the curing technique it is a very fitting word. There are some people who will put rock into a cooler with only a power head or pump. You have no idea how much heat those things produce till you do this. They then "cook" the rock in these conditions to sterilize it. And I'm telling you, it pretty much cooks the rock. Again--waste of life in my honest opinion.

I'm guessing the cooking rock was probably connected to various incidence of people actually boiling live rock and getting a nasty surprise. I'm sure people who put live rock in a cooler with a powerhead are taking an equally dangerous risk.

Should've just saved some money and bought dry rock. :thumbsup:

on a side note I was watching a guy on youtube do coral dips and amazing what little hitchhikers come along on corals. He had some bristleworms, brittle stars and a few other nasty things. :crazy1:

Brittle stars are not nasty. They are very important in removing uneaten food and waste in a tank. There are also symbiotic crabs that come in on acropora. These crabs will actually protected and take care of the acros.

Brittle stars are not nasty. They are very important in removing uneaten food and waste in a tank. There are also symbiotic crabs that come in on acropora. These crabs will actually protected and take care of the acros.

I was being sarcastic with the bristle worms and brittle stars comment. Hence the crazy eyes emoji :D

ummmmm...what part of 'reef' do you think these rocks came from? the sterile marineland part?....where the fish eat pellets only and the corals survive on the light provided by lighting du jour?...dont call it a reef tank....cus it's nothing like a reef now...its a pet store dream....or should i say nightmare

Meh, most live rock doesn't even come from real reefs anymore.

Back