Anyone ever put wood in their tank?

Interesting.

I did find a website that sells pilings made of polystone. It's a resin and sandstone mixture cast to look like wood logs. I'm going to contact the company and see about them. Se if I can get 3 of the 30" ones. Maybe coat them in a clear food grade epoxy before putting them in the tank.

Polystone is a manufacturing medium used for cast sculptures, it is hard to find one that delivers a cleaner, more substantial representation of an original sculpture than a product manufactured in Polystone. Polystone has a significant weight, a porcelain like feel to the touch, and an incredible ability to capture the most minute detail, making it unsurpassed in collectible manufacturing materials.

Polystone is a compound made up largely of polyurethane resin mixed with powdered stone additives that give it added weight and the porcelain or "stone-like" feel that resulted in the materials name itself. Polystone is durable and highly effective at maintaining a sharp paint finish. Unlike porcelain which is fired in an oven, Polystone is a cold-cast material in which no heat is used in the manufacturing process, resulting in much greater variations of paint finish.

http://www.everythingnautical.com/decorative-nautical-pilings-with-rope-anchor/

Well I got an answer back from the company. The wood is real wood, not poly stone. Only the anchor is poly stone.The wood is painted. The rope is also real manila rope. The manufacturing company said to just remove the paint and wash a few times. But they wouldn't recomend using it in a tank.

So back to researching. :(

I would use some rough hewn lumber to form a mold for appropriate cement. Once cured, the cement should hold the texture. Just tint it, then epoxy over it if you're concerned about leaching. I would also use some PVC in the center to lighten things up, then just use sand or rock as ballast.

If it were me I'd go the route of finding some real pilings and then use them to make a mold you could then cast in some form of material. IMO that would be about the easiest way to go about it.

Back