ASM Skimmer Club!

What's the maximum load on a g-3 with the mesh mod? In other words, what's the biggest tank it can handle, realistically?

I'm looking at a used ASM GX1 and the pump has just been replaced with a Mag 5. Would this be okay or should I look into replacing the pump with the Sedra 3500 or another type of pump???

In the same situation lifes a beach. Looking for a good replacement pump. I would get a new better skimmer but I would have to completely take my sump and refug out and redoe all the plumming to get the old one out and a new skimmer in. Everyone says sedra's suck but it doesnt seem like anyone has used a different one with ASM. Or tried larger pump models. I have heard some replacing the 5000 with a 9000. This seems to work with the larger asm skimmers. I have a G2 with a 3500 that wont work and am considering a sicce pump which is the pump that most newer good skimmers come with or a sedra 5000. Supposedly the sicce's pull in much more air.

I wish I could help. Been asking some of same quesions but havent gotten any suggestions. Looks like I am going to order a new 3500. The output on the 3500 is 3/4" I think and I would guess the body of the pump is taller than the one you have. What I am getting at is you may have to modify the skimmer intake so the pump sits properly on the floor of your sump. I dont know if it would be too much pump for the skimmer body. Output of 3500 is 350gph. Hope this helps.

It seems this tread gets ignored now. And you cant get much answers about asm skimmers.

I have picked up a used G3 with the gate valve mod. I just got done with the mesh mod for it. I am putting it on a 75gal and will be moving up to a 150gal in a couple months. My question is , is the recirc mod worth it? I know I don't need it for the 75gal it is going on, but do I even need it for the 150gal? I will have mostly sps coral, 100# of LR, and fish (purple tang, fox face, anthias, rainford's goby, (3) chromis, dragon goby) I will get a couple more small fish when I move to the 150.

Thanks for any input,

Paul

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13039247#post13039247 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lifes A Beach
I'm looking at a used ASM GX1 and the pump has just been replaced with a Mag 5. Would this be okay or should I look into replacing the pump with the Sedra 3500 or another type of pump???

Ryan, I have scanned pages and pages of posts where others have asked this same question but no one seems to have an answer about using another brand of pump on the ASM skimmers. And then I've seen where some have put in a bigger pump (Sedra 5000) but haven't really heard of the results.

I have an ASM G2 and it is leaking around where the body meets the neck where it starts to curve up to the collection cup. Any suggestions as to how to fix it?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13051550#post13051550 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmacartney
I have an ASM G2 and it is leaking around where the body meets the neck where it starts to curve up to the collection cup. Any suggestions as to how to fix it?

What condition is the O-ring? It might need replaced. I just got new O-rings and an impeller from Marine Depot for my G3. If the O-ring looks good, you could try some Vaseline on it.

The O-ring looks fine, that I can tell. The leak is significant. I can use petroleum jelly? I was thinking teflon tape.

I'm not sure it would seal. My G3 does not have threads there just the keyhole slots. I know they have a teflon paste. It never dries or hardens, that might work.

Hey guys-

I just bought my first ASM skimmer and joined the club. I bought the G2 for my 37 cube and eventually my 120 in the spring of '09. Question, should I start by mesh modding the pump?

thanks,

matt

I need advise! I have a G2 and i am always adjusting the way it skims is this normal? also if I do any of the mods rec. or mesh does this improve the preformance of how it skimms? and how much?

The gate valve mod is your best bet for control of the water level in the skimmer. You need to make sure your water level in the sump is consistent also though.

The mesh mod and gate valve is almost mandatory with ASM to get decent performance IMO. I'm not impressed with the performance of a stock ASM

+1 Gate valve is an easy and cheap mod for fine tuning skimmer.

I just did the mesh mod 3 layers of enkamat flat back. did not see as much of a performance increase as I was hoping for. I had an extra impeller because I had to buy a new pump. If I did not have an extra impeller I dont think I would do the mesh mod again. I did it to specifications looking at picture. I may have a little more and finer bubbles but I dont think my skimmer is 50% more efficient like some have reported.

I have also drilled out venturi to increase air flow and put in a larger inner diameter airline tubbing.

I just got a used G3 and it had the gate valve on it. I just did the mesh mod and will do the recirc mod next before I set it up. I want to feed it from my over flow.

Back