ASM Skimmer Club!

I have a G2 that I did the Recirc and gate valve mod too. I can't seem to get any foam but have tons of bubbles. My tank runs at 0 PO4 and Nitrates are only about 5ppm, could it just be a lack of nutrients??

It seemed to get a lot more foam before I modded it but the Tank was new then as well.

TIA
Rob

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14948567#post14948567 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Guygettnby
for the people who have done the mesh mod... wich enkamat did you use and how many layers did you use??

i used PF4 Flatback enkamat and i used 3 layers of it. now i get a lot of bubles but it seems like my pump is not pushing the same amount of water as it used to before the mod. has anybody encountered this problem before? do i just simply need to add 1 more layer of enkamat?

Please take this for help..
What makes you think you have a problem? (more air = less water)
If you do not like what you see, Why didn't you try 4 layer?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14961024#post14961024 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by runningnreefing
My G3 is producing a ton of micro bubbles. Is there any way to cut down on the micro bubbles?

More info needed.. water dept and settings.. Pic's really help!

I saw a few saying neck has build-up.. this is normal.. Get a baby bottle brush, clean it :)
I use one with sponge on end, Daily, while the skimmer is running!

taken from another thread i made trying to figure out what i have exactly......

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14963039#post14963039 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by james3370
bought it used several months ago for my build in the sale forums, but have yet to get to a point of using it DOH

it was advertised as a ASM G1X, but looking at the specs on aquacave for them, it fits several different models on different specs:

it measures 20" to the edge of the collection cup....aquacave lists the g1 as 19" & the g1x as 22.5"

the pump it has is a sedra 3500....aquacave lists the g1 having a sedra 2500 & the g1x having a g-500. the next size up (g2) is listed as having a sedra 3500 pump, but the reaction chamber is listed as 6.5"....mine is 5.5" (same as the listed for the g1 & g1x)

so is the difference between the g1 & g1x mostly the pump & i just have a g1 that somebody upgraded to the larger sedra pump???

don't guess it matters too much as it's going on just a 29 w/ 20L sump & i gave $90 shipped for it :D ....just be nice to know for sure what i have LOL

came to the conclusion that it is an older g1 w/ a larger pump, so i wonder what size tank would it be effective on (in case i decide to go bigger tank later on.....)?

also, what water depth should i have it in in my sump??? baffles will be 10" but i have enough height to put it on an eggcrate/pvc platform if needed

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14967776#post14967776 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Charlie Davidson
Please take this for help..
What makes you think you have a problem? (more air = less water)
If you do not like what you see, Why didn't you try 4 layer?

i thank you for trying to help. my skimmer is just not working as well as it once was since i did the mesh mod. lots of bubles but i get either no skimate or i get a cup full of extremely light tea water almost as clear as water some times. i also have to empty the cup almost once a day. no matter how low i have the thing set it just doesnt perfom as good as it did with just the venturi mod done. i will be trying 4 layers this weekend to see if it gets any better. i would hate to think i just destroyed a $35 impeller for nothing.:confused:

g5 motor

g5 motor

I have a asm g5 and my only complaint is that when I turn off skimmers to feed, one of the motors seems to stick and does not want to come back on when plugged back in. How should I solve this problem? I have heard others with this problem but don't know how they fixed pump.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14987270#post14987270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vic8361
Guygettnby
Try putting a valve on the air intake and restrict the air a little, it might help.
Vic

i was thinking about trying that idea. goint to get the valve here soon. still need to figure out how many layers of mesh others have used though.

thanks for the sugestion

hey vic, i tried to air valve and it did nothing for it. i just dont think the pump is pushing as much as it used to or maybe it needs another layer of matt.

I still would like to hear from others who have meshed there wheel and see what there are doing and how many layers they used, aswell as what kind of matt.

G1 or G1X?

G1 or G1X?

Having some issues and not sure if it is a G1 or G1X that I have (it is 20" high but has the sedra 3500 pump . I also think that it might be under-rated for my tank also, but not sure about that either...

I did the mesh mod last weekend with 3 layers of the non-flat back and it seems to be producing as much bubbles out of the pump as before the mod . My problem was that my skimmer just wasn't making any skim at all, just like a flat level with bubbles but now it seems to be working a little. While I was doing the mod I had the entire skimmer out and soaked/cleaned it all with vinegar just to be sure it was clean.

After the mod it is making some skim up the inner tube but not enough to push it into the collection cup no matter how much I adjust the outlet pipe. When I adjust it to high it just goes flat again and a little lower and no skim.. i'm confused and frustrated...

One thing is that when I cover the outlet as i'm adjusting the pipe level the bubbles go higher but drop as soon as I let go of the filter sponge.

The skimmer is in 12" water level, is that too high?

Tank is 120G with about 20G in the sump, any help is appreciated...

the only difference between the G1 and G1X is the pumps. the G1X is rated up to 150g. i have a friend who uses the same skimmer on his 120g with a 30g sump. it works great for him with only the venturi drilled out.

PS. I've looked at the dimensions between the two and saw that the G1 is said to be 19" tall and the G1X is 22.5", which makes me think I have the G1 with the bigger pump... but I really don't know why the bigger pump would make it 1" taller ;)

I have a G1-X in about 10"of water. Seems to be perfect. I modded my venturi by drilling it out and all I got was more noise. I may have gone too big right off the bat. I think that's when the impeller mod with ecko-mat comes in to break the larger airflow. I added a baffler to it with a little filter media to quiet it down.

tingram, you are correct on the sizes of the new skimmers. the one i have is the older model i guess and when i got it that was the only difference i thing between the 2.

i also think you should drill out the venturi tube for sure. i think that would make a difference for you as well. and even if it doesnt, when you put the stock impeller back into the thing it deffilently will make a difference.

ddinox64, it did make a difference in the way the skimmer performs without a doubt. the change is small though and sometimes depending on how big you go you cant really tell the difference while visibly looking at it.

thanks guy... i'll give that a go this weekend and see how it goes... the water is completely flat right now and doesn't make much of a change when I adjust the water level, other than it raises or lowers, the bubbles are still flat :(

ASM mini with a gx1500 pump and needle wheel.

less than 24 hours of running time! this modded asm mini is pretty good!

8pm yesterday
asmmini.jpg

5 pm today
IMG00111.jpg

Back