ASM Skimmer Club!

I used vaseline to fix the lid issue. Rub some on the bottom of the lid and on the top of the collection cup rim. Never had a problem since.

For the micro bubbles, check the gasket where the pump connects to the skimmer body. When mine got unseated, I had bubbles everywhere. It was a pain to get seated properly again, but once I did the bubble issue went away.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15092199#post15092199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Miasma_F
For the micro bubbles, check the gasket where the pump connects to the skimmer body. When mine got unseated, I had bubbles everywhere. It was a pain to get seated properly again, but once I did the bubble issue went away.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope that is the problem because the bubbles are driving me nuts.

I apologize for my ignorance but whats the importance and the benefit of doing the recirculating mod. i have the G2 and

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15228547#post15228547 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bhelne01
I apologize for my ignorance but whats the importance and the benefit of doing the recirculating mod. i have the G2 and

it basicly makes the skimmer more eficent by recirculating the water inside of the skimmer so it has more contact time with the bubbles. therefore pulling more out of the water inside the skimmer.

Wow. I just joined the club and have been going stir crazy trying to find info through out these pages. In all this time has no one created a short list of common mods and how to do them?

I have managed to figure out to do the gate mod, and the enkamat, but I am still trying to find info on setting the sump return to the skimmer and modding it for recirc

I have a G1 on a 72Bow in a 20L sump

Going to be joining the club shortly - WOOT! - and had a few questions if you dont mind. I have read through about 60 pages or so and my eyes are going numb.

I will be picking up an ASM G3 tomorrow with mesh and recirculating mods, I plan to add on a gate valve to cover all the bases. My question is where is the best place to draw intake water from? Should I "T" off an over flow drain, or pull it from a return line? how do I know when the skimmer feed is around 200gph?

Also I dont have an ATO yet and my last skimmer drove me NUTS with having to constantly adjust it to match the water level. Will a recirculating G3 have the same issues, or will it be ok with the water fluctuating about a half inch in the sump.

thanks!!

~Will.

g6 skimmer?

g6 skimmer?

Anyone have any opinions on the g6 skimmer. I have a g3 now and was thinking of getting a larger unit. I have seen several other brands that are larger in diameter but not as high as the g6. Is one design better then another?
Thanks
Jeff

Looking at buying a used g6 skimmer, I don't have my 224 gallon tank set up yet. How do you hook up such a tall skimmer? Any photo's?

I'm in! I have a G-1x which will follow my 75g RR upgrade.

Has anyone done a mod to the collection cup to have it drain to a bottle? Going on a 2-week vacation soon.

I picked a G2 up the other day and was wondering what the normal break in is on these skimmers, and if there is a way to speed it up at all?

Also the links to the mod pages are no longer good, or at least the ones I have found so far are bad. Where can I find the recirc mod instructions at?
And what other mods are must do, or at least highly recomended? I plan on doing the gate valve on it, and installing a JG drain on the cup very soon so I have those covered, and am looking at adding a bubble diffuser plate to it also if it would help cut down on the turbulence at all.
Opinions please...

I have a G2, but it is not complete. I am missing the pipe that exits the bottom of the skimmer body.

Off hand does anyone who what size it is?

Ok so I'm planning on getting an asm protein skimmer I hear many positive and negative things about every skimmer but my real question is shud I get an asm mini G or a g1x I have a 46 gallon bow front with a eshopps rs100

Get the G1x, it pulls better and can be modded easier if you want to later. I'm running the G2 on a 60 gallon tank with dual 20g sump tanks. Over skimming will help out and allow you to feed a bit heavier with out much impact on the system.

I got my G1 with the setup I just bought and was thinking it was a POS. I did the mesh mod and it definitely increased its output by at least 50%.

I am gonna wait a little bit and see about the gate valve and see if it is worth it. To me the recirc mod it just not worth it. Not saying it doesnt increase the efficiency a little, but to do all that work and run another pump 24/7, just not worth it to me. Besides, it seems to me this skimmer gets a lot of return flow based on the orientation of the skimmer pump in relation to the outflow (without the gate mod).

need some help i bought an ASM G2 skimmer used it came with a sedra 9000 pump and i have it on my 60 gallon tank its been running for about a week and there is literally nothing in the collection cup, my cpr got more in its collection cup. Any advice on why this is?

Joining the club!!! Woo Hoo :D
ASM G4XX Recirculating And Gate Valve Mods. I was thinking about the Mesh mod and after I seen how much the Sedra 15000 Pumps I see no need. :cool:

Back