Working with the Pukani Rock.

This is about 110 Pounds of it.

Acid I used

Video of Acid Pour!

Cooking!

Perfectly Etched and Clean!

Thank you for interest.

Last edited:
well! there goes that grassy patch haha. Nice work. will you cure them too after acid etching?

Yea - I don't think grass or any type of "evolution" will occur in this patch. Actually I dumped in two boxes of baking soda to stop the acid from etching. Completely diffuses the chemical reaction so I don't take too much away from the rock and be left with glorified rubble pieces.

I put together this video to better explain how I roughly did things on the second batch prior to the acid dump.

Yea - I plan on now filling up a 125 gallon monster trash can with ro and the circulation pump to be super careful in order to further dilute/pull out any toxins left in the rock.

Then I will let the rocks dry for about 3 days to evaporate all moisture.

While the rocks are dry I will figure out an arch aquascape plan and take a few pictures to jog my memory.

Then start the curing process for about 2 months.

I will perform random phosphate checks and add seaklear if needed.

Video Below

Are any of those the special 20"+ pieces or is it the standard order type ?

Good question.

When I placed the order for 110 lbs I requested in the notes for longer pieces to help me form potential arches.

Good idea to order a bit more than you need, because the acid does shrink them down.

I just clicked normal however and these showed up.

This is the NEW custom refugium style sump I designed.

36 x 30 x 18

3/8 Acrylic

Refugium is roughly 30 gallons.

Many posts that I have read from people that are really into refugiums believe that an ideal fuge is 10% of your total water volume.

Videos:

Grind Edges

Finish Smooth Edges

Photo

In the CRV ready to go home!

Wonderful Aquascape. I can't wait to move out of my apartment, get a house and upgrade.

you've taken care of the most important item - leaving room for growth. you've also got a semi-stadium effect like you wanted too.

Activities.jpg

question on your macroalgae you've got growing down there - is it all anchored to rock or is it free-floating? With the exception of Chaeto, every other piece of free floating macro algae ive had has crashed on me. That's Ulva, and tang heaven red from IPSF.

How do you get it to anchor / attach to the rock?

Id really like to get some macroalgae that I can grow and feed to my tang and my bellus rather than nori so your experience may be able to help me out. So far - even tying nori to a rock - the bellus and tang do not eat it.

Looks great. I notice that you have your WP40s facing down instead of forward. Why? do you get a better random flow that way.

Looks great. I notice that you have your WP40s facing down instead of forward. Why? do you get a better random flow that way.

Wp40s pointed down due to bare bottom.

They push all sediment from the back forward to siphon up during water changes.

Back