Bubble King Skimmer Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Day, Another pic

Another Day, Another pic

I'll keep posting til some other BK owners share the poo pics :D

Looks darker today than yesterday

DSCN3348.jpg

well T, your jonseing was getting to me, so here ya go!

About 2 weeks ago, my bk pretty much stopped skimming. Im attributing this to whatever huge dead thing in my rocks that was powering my previous nog production finally dissolved.

I turned the nozzle out 2 turns and was back in buisness. not as thick as before, but still plenty good. ( 2 days worth I think, maybe 3)

bk-nog-new-adj.jpg

That's nice n' nasty sjames. :thumbsup:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12303789#post12303789 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
:lol:

I can't say I blame ya. I'm sure once I get everything up and running, I'll be a poo man too. :eek:

BTW, got that thing cleared up. A.G.E., here I come! :D

Awesome news, Paul! Now, the fun begins ;)

When's the build/plan thread coming? Seems like the "planning" threads are gaining steam nowadays

You'll be a poo man, too. for 2000 bucks, u have no choice :p

Yep, I'll be a proud poo father. What the hell am I talking about? Need seepy. But I can't... I'm too caught up in the planning stage. ;)

I guess I'll start a thread once I order the tank. :thumbsup:

Sorry triggerman71, PM box now has room.

Paul

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12303940#post12303940 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
We're Baaaaack in business!!! We gottt pics! :lol:

What's your bioload like?

im building it up,

royal gramma
red lip blenny
pair of black percs
bar goby
yello tang
kole tang

all fed three times a day with a bunch of different stuff

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12297009#post12297009 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thorsen
for the purpose of designing a sump is the actual dimension of the BK 250 deluxe baseplate + whatever else sticks out, 28 x 45 cm (11.02" x 17.72")? And which side does the outflow come out on the right or the left?

I'm curious about this as well. Creetin, you have a 250. :D

Yes, it looks like the outflow pipe can be roated and directed. It also looks like the outflow, if you place it in the right spot, protrudes past the edge of the base plate. I would like to know the maximum amount the outflow protrudes past the base so I can make room in my sump to move it, without it catching anywhere when it is rotated.

I plan to run it on my new tank, which is a total of about 270 gallons so I don't think I have over done it. I'm trying to design my sump right now but it is proving to be very complicated. Do you know if there is an ideal flow rate through the sump for the bubble king to function optiomally? I would think the faster the flow the better because the less chance of of water going through the skimmer twice, but on the other hand if the water goes by too fast the skimmer would only sample a small portion of it.

check out my new stand: I am very pleased with it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=12297146#post12297146

Thorsen - Worse come to worse, you can always cut off part of the outflow pipe. I know it's tough on a $2k skimmer, but something to think about.

My old ER skimmer had the same type of outflow pipe. I had enough room in my sump to angle it up, but would have cut it if I needed to

It would be much nicer to make room for it from the start since I am still designing the sump. I hate to wait six weeks, or however long it takes for the BK to arrive before I start building my sump. Hmm... it's a quandary.

Thorsen - well, you're in a perfect situation since you're designing a sump. I thought you were trying to fit a skimmer into your existing sump. Then definitely build a sump to fit the skimmer of your dreams :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12305739#post12305739 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thorsen
I plan to run it on my new tank, which is a total of about 270 gallons so I don't think I have over done it. I'm trying to design my sump right now but it is proving to be very complicated. Do you know if there is an ideal flow rate through the sump for the bubble king to function optiomally? I would think the faster the flow the better because the less chance of of water going through the skimmer twice, but on the other hand if the water goes by too fast the skimmer would only sample a small portion of it.

check out my new stand: I am very pleased with it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=12297146#post12297146

Your stand looks great. The tray is an awesome idea! I'm in the school of thought of low flow through the sump. I think this gives the skimmer more time to process the water. I aim for 3-5x flow through the sump.

I also think the 3-5 times the volume of your tank per hour is a better number to shot for then the 20+ many go with. I was under the impression though, that this number had more to do with the flow through the refugium / reverse-photosynthesis portion of the sump rather than the flow rate that goes past the skimmer. Slow flow past the skimmer is bound to lead to some of the water being reskimmed and I don't see how that can be efficient. I have designed my sump so that the flow through the refugium and the flow through the skimmer portion of the tank can be controlled independently so I had thought I would have faster flow through the skimmer portion of the sump to avoid reskimming the water.
This is an ignorant question but what about plumbing the feed for the sump straight from the overflow? I hear people talk about it, but don't know much about it. Can that be done with an in sump skimmer such as the BK? I wish I understood all the nuances of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back