Chaetodon wiebeli

ohh i've been waiting for this fish for a long long time.

unfortunately this fish is found only in japan, taiwan, thailand and surround locales.

as far as i know these fishes are not targeted for collection. occasionally some of them may get caught and end up being sold in local markets, some as food fish, some just as by catches.

it's not a fish that's not collected because it's rare or anything. it's just, for some reason that i'm unsure of, not being mass distributed to the world like other fishes.

the close relative, chaetodon auripes, is also not really encountered in the trade. but i've seen it in hong kong being sold for super cheap prices.

dr hiroyuki tanaka often encounter juvenile and small weibeli and auripes butterflies at miyazaki harbour, near the surface, where he lives.

Marine Center used to get C weibeli in when they were still in business........since then I haven't seen anyone offer them for sale. From what I know they are easy to keep.

C auripes are available often enough & they aren't usually expensive. I personally don't care for their dull washed out yellow color.

Looks like they are common in Japan, haha:

20090602140645f52.jpg

I emailed bluezoo today.

LOL, nice pic Luiz... it's such a pretty fish, and not impossible to keep, from what I've read. I'm surprised we don't see them here.

i saw 2 or 3 a couple years ago, but they didn't ship too well. pretty sure they were mixed in with the auripes from taiwan.

auripes aren't really pretty in real life.

they're sort of like fremblii. always bronzey and washed out in real life.

wiebeli is gorgeoussss but too seldom seen and not targetted enough for collection.

Always been a fish I've wanted. You would think with all those fish nuts over there they would collect some...

Bluezoo replied with the expected answer: That they have had them in the past, but haven't seen them for a while. They are actively looking.

I would check with Mike at NY aquatics. He had a nice one last spring.
He even has a video of it on youtube.

I know I've seen them on the LA diver's den in the past. It has been within the past five years. From what I recall they were in the 250 ballpark but I am not sure of that.

I received an email alert from BlueZoo, but it sold that same day, apparently. Hope a member here got it, and posts about it!

Back