Check this out guys/gals.

I am glad people are getting involved. Also when I contacted Sea Shepards and PETA I did it so they would get involved with sending them e-mails. I did not do it so people can shutdown reefing. Also I think some reefing practices are wrong as well. I have to say though that contacting regulatory agencies is a great idea.

On a more positive note I am really glad people are still on this and sending them e-mails. Thanks for the support.

Also this might be the site we are looking to report to.
http://myfwc.com/law/Alert/MailMap.asp?region=CTY

Please do not get sea shepherd or PETA involved in this. They lump us in the aquarium hobby right in with whaling, porpoise sushi and people who club baby seals for fur.

On their website it says, "All items we sell are Non-endangered Species,
Cleared by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife and U.S. Customs."

Assuming that is so, then I doubt contacting any agencies will do much. It is sad though to see those large sps colonies harvested and bleached for collection.

Oh it will do something, just not what people think it will do. Give the CBD a little while, the above ES comment will be incorrect.

One thing to bear in mind- I have some accounts that use the dead coral for their old school displays. Some of the dead coral i use is over 30 years old- and perfectly servicable. How many live coral keeps can say the same thing? Same to be said for decorations. My mom had a 4 inch coral branch in her bathroom decor for 35 years I knew her- wonder how many 4 inch colonies were thrown away after they died in aquariums. Fact is- whether you try to keep coral alive or not- its all for decoration- and it all has equal effect on the ocean. People like my mom buy one piece-and keep it forever-as do marine fish tank owners- its the live coral keepers that keep going back for more of their perishable passions.

Fact is- whether you try to keep coral alive or not- its all for decoration- and it all has equal effect on the ocean. People like my mom buy one piece-and keep it forever-as do marine fish tank owners- its the live coral keepers that keep going back for more of their perishable passions.

Well said

One thing to bear in mind- I have some accounts that use the dead coral for their old school displays. Some of the dead coral i use is over 30 years old- and perfectly servicable. How many live coral keeps can say the same thing? Same to be said for decorations. My mom had a 4 inch coral branch in her bathroom decor for 35 years I knew her- wonder how many 4 inch colonies were thrown away after they died in aquariums. Fact is- whether you try to keep coral alive or not- its all for decoration- and it all has equal effect on the ocean. People like my mom buy one piece-and keep it forever-as do marine fish tank owners- its the live coral keepers that keep going back for more of their perishable passions.

There is actually a considerable difference in quantities harvested. For the aquarium trade, it's typically small pieces broken off the reef that will regrow. For the curio trade, it's typically large whole colonies with no part of the colony left behind to regrow.

As greenbean stated- those colonies were a couple years growth. As a retailer of dried coral in my LFS days- I know that colonies much larger than that are rare in the hobby, as few tanks can handle larger. The largest listed on my old price lists is show 18-22"-which retail between 70 and 125$. When they use them to make concrete- obviously they choose as large as they can pull out easily. Fact remains- dead coral decorations last practically forever-live coral is constanty needing to be replenished. Just go to your local pet shop and ask what their yearly sales in live coral are versus dead coral.

As greenbean stated- those colonies were a couple years growth. As a retailer of dried coral in my LFS days- I know that colonies much larger than that are rare in the hobby, as few tanks can handle larger. The largest listed on my old price lists is show 18-22"-which retail between 70 and 125$. When they use them to make concrete- obviously they choose as large as they can pull out easily. Fact remains- dead coral decorations last practically forever-live coral is constanty needing to be replenished. Just go to your local pet shop and ask what their yearly sales in live coral are versus dead coral.

There is a big, big difference there, even though aquarium coral needs to be replaced (although not constantly as you mentioned, since most people that keep live coral don't buy it every week), the pieces that are used for aquarium are much smaller, as Bill says usually just fragments, and the species that are used in the aquarium trade are usually fast growing species.

For decoration, if it looks pretty, it is fair game, it doesn't matter how fast it grows, and many times big (and old) colonies are much more valuable than small ones. In addition, a dead coral colony doesn't need a stable environment, so a lot more people buy dead coral for decoration than to keep it alive in tanks.

On top of all of that, most conscious aquarists today avoid wild coral and buy mostly aquacultured or maricultured coral, which tend to do better in tanks anyways, and are just as pretty as the wild ones.

You know how I feel about people like this? Exactly how I feel about the people who are destroying the rainforests, and exactly how I feel about pedophiles and rapists, I hope they die. And I dont really care about the emotions this statement evokes in you.

Okay maybe that was a little harsh but...
Hey I have an idea lets go kill some Amur Leopards, Ivory billed woodpeckers, Javan Rhinos, and when we are done we can feast on some Atelopus Zeteki legs. And after we are full, lets burn down the habitats they live in and sell whatever makes it.

cmon people this is nuts. good luck fighting this.

Also this might be the site we are looking to report to.
http://myfwc.com/law/Alert/MailMap.asp?region=CTY
florida has the 2nd strictest wildlife laws in the country, 2nd only to alaska.
if they have a business, they have permits.

you don't go [profanity] around florida wildlife like that without a permit, FWC will take everything you own.

Last edited by a moderator:
so i guess im the only one who went to their website and thought cool, i need to order some shells? seriously, i agree that some of the coral pics look like live colonies and that should be addressed but the shell prices seem good.

I just sent them an email, I wonder what they will say.

Seriously, these guys are worst then beginner reefers.

I wonder if the guys in the little wooden canoe know how much more money they could make by keeping the coral alive...

so i guess im the only one who went to their website and thought cool, i need to order some shells? seriously, i agree that some of the coral pics look like live colonies and that should be addressed but the shell prices seem good.

Some of the stuff they have is neat and cool, but dont support people like this. There is stuff that is just as beautiful made out of plastic or that you can get that died naturally.

Thanks for keeping this going. I am glad people are still sending them e-mails. I am sure you all got the same lovely response I got from them.

Also curious what Florida Fish and Wildlife said. You guys are the best.

Back