DanW's 187 SPS Dominated Reef Journal

Have you guys noticed that with the elos mg kit, the second step is always the same number of drops? For me the first step will vary but the second step is always 6-drops every time.
Hum...for me both vary. The first by 3-4 drops and the second by 1 drop (usually 5 or 6).

Happy Friday...

BaliTri-color.jpg

A few weeks ago my son won a bucket of the new Seachem Salinity salt in a raffle. With few exceptions (1 bucket of D-D, 1 bucket of Ocean Pro Pure) I have been using TMP for my water changes for years but since the bucket was free I thought that I'd give it a try. Here are the parameters on the first batch after mixing for 14 hours:

30 gallons
Temp: 77.3 degrees
Salinity: 35 ppt
MG: 1400 ppm (Elos)
CA: 360 ppm (Elos)
Alk: 10 dKH (API)
NO3: Undetectable (Elos)
PO4: 0.05 ppm (Hanna)

Impressions: Much more concentrated than TMP. I usually use a little more than 15 cups of TMP per 30 gallons while I only used ~12.5 cups of Salinity. It was much cloudier and took longer to dissolve than TMP, noticed white chunks swirling around for a long time. Except for the unbalanced CA (which I will buffer up), the parameters look good but what is concerning is that I see small flecks at the bottom of the mixing barrel that kind of looks like glitter as well as some undissolved solids :confused: I have never seen this with TMP.

Is .05 Phosphate high for a saltmix? Seems high to me but I have never tested any of the various saltmixes I have tried. Last week I got some of the new ESV Seawater. When I mix up a batch of it today I will make sure to test PO4 w/Hanna. I made one batch last week and this stuff dissolved very fast and clean which actually reminded me of TMP. However, with the ESV, theoretically, after 10-30minutes of mixing it is ready to go.

A few weeks ago my son won a bucket of the new Seachem Salinity salt in a raffle. With few exceptions (1 bucket of D-D, 1 bucket of Ocean Pro Pure) I have been using TMP for my water changes for years but since the bucket was free I thought that I’d give it a try. Here are the parameters on the first batch after mixing for 14 hours:

30 gallons
Temp: 77.3 degrees
Salinity: 35 ppt
MG: 1400 ppm (Elos)
CA: 360 ppm (Elos)
Alk: 10 dKH (API)
NO3: Undetectable (Elos)
PO4: 0.05 ppm (Hanna)

Impressions: Much more concentrated than TMP. I usually use a little more than 15 cups of TMP per 30 gallons while I only used ~12.5 cups of Salinity. It was much cloudier and took longer to dissolve than TMP, noticed white chunks swirling around for a long time. Except for the unbalanced CA (which I will buffer up), the parameters look good but what is concerning is that I see small flecks at the bottom of the mixing barrel that kind of looks like glitter as well as some undissolved solids :confused: I have never seen this with TMP.

What is this milli Saturday, Mark Me and now you :). The Rouge is still on my need to get list, along with a few others.
Yeah, I was only following your guy's lead. Figured that if you guys were going there it must be a good place to go.

Is .05 Phosphate high for a saltmix? Seems high to me but I have never tested any of the various saltmixes I have tried. Last week I got some of the new ESV Seawater. When I mix up a batch of it today I will make sure to test PO4 w/Hanna. I made one batch last week and this stuff dissolved very fast and clean which actually reminded me of TMP. However, with the ESV, theoretically, after 10-30minutes of mixing it is ready to go.
Ryan, from what I remember reading 0.05 was in the range of what AWT found when they did their PO4 tests of several salt mixes. IIRC the time I tested freshly mixed TMP for PO4 it was around 0.03 - 0.05.

Ryan, from what I remember reading 0.05 was in the range of what AWT found when they did their PO4 tests of several salt mixes. IIRC the time I tested freshly mixed TMP for PO4 it was around 0.03 - 0.05.

I still think you put way too much emphasis on AWT and their accuracy ;)

I still think you put way too much emphasis on AWT and their accuracy ;)
You're right, I've read many of the comments in the Chemistry Forum from the respected chemist. As far at their Salt Water Mix analysis goes even if the absolute value is off I figure that since they did the same test then relatively speaking the mixes can be judged against each other. (Although who knows from batch to batch and it certainly cannot account for any formula changes post testing.) When I send samples in every 6-8 months or so I look at the results as more of a directional indicator of if I need to investigate a specific issue. I try to revalidate any anomalies by some other means. In the end visually the corals never lie unfortunately they never speak to me to tell me what is wrong! :lol:

Back