dippin in jelly

Chriskid

well i thought i would dabble a little in jellyfish. so my short story starts with the simple moon jellies. a few of you saw these, and i played for a few months, tweaked the homeaid tank then........ slipped and they perished.

quick vid

then caught a few comb jellies with a good friend of mine out near block island:)
i think i injured there feeding tentacles during capture, but it wuz cool while it lasted.

quick vid

round three wuz a trip to house of fins. while trying to mend fences(not an easy sell) i found an accidental arrival. aussie blue bell. I took it....lol i wuz screwed when i got home and found out that it need reef lighting............... well i tried , and wuz unable to put such lighting on my homemade tank in time:( and made a big mastake feeding adult brine shrimp........... they ate squishy.....:/

quick vid

now i think i found a specimen i can play with. this is an Indonesian lagoon jelly. This one is doing very well. a few adjustments and snowball is doing better then anticipated. eating a large amount of plankton once or twice a day.

quick vid

Aren't they awesome?!? I've only "dipped in jelly" once (about 3 weeks ago) and so far, so good. I really wasn't sure I'd be able to keep him alive but it looks like he's doing good so it's time to move him to a bigger tank. This was listed as a "Cassiopea Jellyfish", also known as upside-down jellyfish. Sorry it's dark . . . the light in that tank is already off for the night but there was enough from a nearby light source to take this video.

[URL=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/Sue777/2014-02-24_01-10-29_489.mp4][/URL]

Last edited:
cool, from what i understand they can live off lighting alone. and easily reproduce. jellie systems use this easy reproduction to feed larger jellies.
thanks for sharing, keep me updated:) where did you get it?

Sorry, I put in the wrong name of the jellyfish but have now corrected it above.

I got him online from FinAddict, a place in Florida. This was the first time I ordered from them and I was very impressed with the packaging, shipping, and quality of the livestock.

Sue

I always wanted to do jellys and sea horses.

Very exciting times around here.... my seahorse just had babies and the jellyfish is doing well. I'm going to try to keep some of the seahorse fry alive but it's not usually a successful endeavor. Still, gotta try.
Sue

Very exciting times around here.... my seahorse just had babies and the jellyfish is doing well. I'm going to try to keep some of the seahorse fry alive but it's not usually a successful endeavor. Still, gotta try.
Sue

If it does happen to be successful let me know, I would like a few.

At mystic they had a tank of baby sea horses and they were feeding them brine shrimp nauplii very successfully. Might try that if you haven't already!

I have been wanting to try my hand at making a jelly tank for a while. Cool thread and thanks for posting!

I have been wanting to try my hand at making a jelly tank for a while. Cool thread and thanks for posting!

this species seems quite forgiven, I don't seem to have much time for reef, but if you're interested we can talk through it together I would love to have someone else trying to hand that is amazing Specimen.

Hi there.
I've had brine shrimp eggs cooking since I saw that the seahorse was pregnant so I have a daily supply of baby brine shrimp. I've also got the fry in a kriesel tank to keep them moving in a circular motion so they don't hang out at the top and get gas bubble disease by swallowing air. The combination of trying to keep the the fry in a food-dense environment without degrading water quality is a challenge and on the weekend I did pretty good but unfortunately my full time job is going to make it a little tougher tomorrow morning. Still, I'll do my best.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the jellyfish thread. Oh, the jellyfish gets daily newly hatched brine shrimp, too. :)

Sue are either of these in that very cool cylinder tank you scored a while back?

Hi Mike.
No, I actually ended up selling that - I could never find a good spot for it and, honestly, I didn't feel like setting up yet one more tank. I think it would have been a real pain as a reef tank - an aquascaping nightmare!
Sue

Back