DIY LEDs - The write-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen that sight, but thanks. It sound like the probes are calibrated somehow also since it is a fixed value per millievolt.

The probe is constant but if the meter isn't accurate it wont matter. If it reads the probe's 15 milivolts as 13 you get an inaccurate PAR value. When the calibrate at the factory they adjust the meter to match a given output from the sensor it should be reading.

I'm just about to finish gathering all the parts for my build. I'll be running 72 LEDs on 3 MW 60-48Ds (2 strings of 24 x 3). My questions have to do with getting the right resistors and fuses. Does 1 ohm resistors and 1 amp fuses sound correct? If that's correct, I need some help with finding "the" fuses. I've looked on digikey and was a bit overwhelmed by the selection - could one of the experts recommend a specific fuse for the job?

Generally speaking, are ppl still thinking a 60/40 ratio still seems like a good mix, even when using XP-E RB / XP-G CW/NW? Thanks.

Last edited:
I think that is the opinion but I have seen some going 2:1. Which is almost the same 67:33. IIRC I did see one person considering 3:1, but I think that was a work in progress and don't remember what the final decision was. Sorry no personal advice I bought back in when XR-E were the way to go - just a long time to finish the fixture.

I can't speak on behalf of everyone else, but I can say two things:

1) For my next build I had been thinking for a while that I would do 24 RB and a total of 12 mixed neutral & cool white XPG. Now I'm increasing that to 24 RB with 12 each of neutral & cool white XPG, purely so that I have the option of individually dimming the neutral and cool separately, as well as better color blending.

2) Don't let the E in XP-E fool you, it cranks out 500 mW of royal blue radiation when you feed it 1000 mW of electricity. That's turning HALF of the electrical energy into photons, also known as HARDCORE.

Led

Led

Yep, i decided, i`ll be using the XR-E RB and the XM-L White on a 3:1 ratio with 144 LEDS. If something DOES come out newer during the build process i`ll still have an easy option to upgrade the plan then too. For the forseeable future though, this is what i`m doing. As i kick this off, i`ll post some pics.

PS: In case you ever woundered, in my Avatar, i`m the one with the Blue Helmet heh :) and those were only class 3 Rapids on the Hudson River.

Last edited:
Now if FishMan would only animate the aiming so it sweeps across during the day.
vpc46w.gif

Here, so here is teh mix I will try to make into a test-lamp:
12 CREE XP-G R5 Cool White
24 CREE XP-E Royal Blue
6 CREE XP-G Neutral White
6 CREE XP-E Blue 3W

I plan on hooking it to four ELN-60-48D

Now, the question is ... shall I write up my experience with it on this in this thread or start my own ...

Now if FishMan would only animate the aiming so it sweeps across during the day.
vpc46w.gif

This is still on my feature list for a "holy grail" fixture - getting something that moves and changes angles through the day, so you get dim, nearly horizontal shafts of light in the morning and evening, and bright vertical shafts in the middle of the day.

LEDs

LEDs

Awesome, my tank runs East/West and as long as not on the floor, i`m happy :celeb1:. Fishman, i recieved those 24 U- channels today TYVM. Now that i have the right table saw blade, i`ll begin cutting them up :spin3:. Now, i go on my own quest for the "Holly Grail" in this Monty Python adventure! Motorized tracking system hummm :reading:..solar pannel companies have tracking systems for their pannels.....so an uber mini-version....:hammer::mtool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back