DIY live rock from scratch

desolo

i found some online tutorials for making your own LR. the one that i agreed with most called for mixing 6 parts aragonite with 1 part portland cement. the full instructions and curing process is located in the link below.

link for instructions

so would this work as well as LR from the ocean, or even work better? with the LR you purchase that's been pulled, it's a huge process to clean it and cure it. you have to remove alot of little hitchhikers before placing the rock in your tank. if you made your OWN LR though, it wouldn't have any of the unwanted hitchhikers. from what i have read, i understand that aragonite sand has bacteria in a thin coating on each grain, which helps build up an appropriate bio ecosystem in your tank after a period of time. so since in the instructions from the link above you would be mixing aragonite with portland cement, you would have all that good bacteria for the LR after the cement sets and your rock is ready to cure/use.

BASICALLY, i am asking for educated advice on whether this is a good option (since i can make the shapes i want the rock to be rather than hunt for shapes at fish stores) or whether the rock is going to be as useless as fake rock.

It is a relatively good, cheap option. It will not be "live" when made. It should be treated basically the same way you would treat dry base rock. It will still have to be seeded with at least a little bit of live rock.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15612546#post15612546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrRyanT
It is a relatively good, cheap option. It will not be "live" when made. It should be treated basically the same way you would treat dry base rock. It will still have to be seeded with at least a little bit of live rock.

yes, that's what i assumed. well this is great, i'm definitely going to do this. i am going to add in rock salt to the mix though, for it to dissolve during curing and obtain a very porous result. i may also add plastic shavings to the mix since algae tends to grow very fast on plastic. (a way to speed up growth in the tank.)

i dont think i would add plastic...

i used water softener salt for mine....but i found it takes for ever for all the salt to dissolve....better making a dry mix and slapping it together haphazardly, trying not to handle the mix too much once you have made it...otherwise it will start to wet up and it will make it harder to keep the inside of it porous (even with the salt in it) 6:1 sounds like a lot of arragonite to portland to me...i always found a 4:1 or 5:1 better...

This thread was the only one in the top several I had not posted in, so thought I would. GARF recipe works the best. They use acrylic "shavings" as a filler to make the rock lighter. Rock salt, water softener salt or what have you, makes holes in the rock, but does not make the rock porous in the sense it is meant when discussing live rock.

Ok, oughta here..... chuckles

Jim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15612872#post15612872 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uncleof6
This thread was the only one in the top several I had not posted in, so thought I would. GARF recipe works the best. They use acrylic "shavings" as a filler to make the rock lighter. Rock salt, water softener salt or what have you, makes holes in the rock, but does not make the rock porous in the sense it is meant when discussing live rock.

Ok, oughta here..... chuckles

Jim

yes, i just saw a video of the GARF method and it seems pretty flawless. i am going to be using rock salt and acrylic shavings most likely.

so, correct me if i'm wrong, i can make this aragonite rock, cure it, then put it into my tank with live rock that i've bought, and the aragonite rock will become live after a period of time? i understand the bacteria and mini ecosystem needs time to grow.

In a well run system, everything becomes live. All manner of things will grow on "homemade rock" just as it will on natural rock. Think you are wasting your time with the rock salt, IIRC, it use started by a misinterpretation of the word porosity or porous. Pores being tiny minute channels in the rock, whereas rock salt makes big holes.... gives the exterior interesting figure though.

Regards,

Jim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15613538#post15613538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BenJay
How much cheaper is this option when compared to buying dry base rock?
4 50 lbs of crushed oyster shell (200 lbs) $32
1 bag type III portland cement $14
couple of bags water softener salt for forms $12

$0.29 per lbs DIY rock vs about $2 per lbs base rock.

Don't forget you need to soak the DIY rock for a while to drop the ph before using it in an aquarium. If you click on my little red house you will see some of the ones I made.

Back