DIY Stands Template and Calculator

Enthusiastic, As a reference i made my tank stand for a 125 and it's 42" tall...I'm on a cement slab. I think that this is a great height for the tank as it's a good viewing level, without having to bend over. If i were to do it again, i might make it only an inch or two taller.

Just thought I'd post an update for those looking through this thread for ideas too, as i once was. Great resource for help in here, thanks everyone! Here is the final product:

p.s. Sorry I'm only Freshwater at this point, maybe switching to SW in future. :)

new125-14.jpg

new125-16.jpg

Thank you very much. Is your stand stable?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Iam going to be building a stand for my 375.Its gonna be a set in a wall, so no framing will be seen. what size lumber do you recommend for this size of a tank? the tank is 96x30x30. Thank you.

Iam going to be building a stand for my 375.Its gonna be a set in a wall, so no framing will be seen. what size lumber do you recommend for this size of a tank? the tank is 96x30x30. Thank you.

Glass or acrylic? If on a concrete slab like the post just above you, a cinder block wall.

I'm going to be building the stand for my 29 Biocube tomorrow. I want to build the stand 24"d x 32"w x 32"t. The tank is only 21"d x 20"w. could I do maybe 3 2x4's across the top and not do a center brace? I can build basically a stand for the tank and extend it, but I'd love to have a nice open area and not lose 6" on each side.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy New year. Just updating TALL stand build progress for those who may benefit from it in the future. Thanks everybody who helped.
Top frame is 2*8, front and back verticals the same. Side verticals, bottom frame and central legs at the back are 2*4.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk

photos from the workshop. sorry it wasn't taken by me:)

Attachments

• image-1325513336-V.jpg
    image-1325513336-V.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image-1325513219-V.jpg
    image-1325513219-V.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-20120102-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20120102-WA0000.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1
Stand Help

Stand Help

Started a new stand for my new 210 and was needing some help and opinions. What is the average height of a stand for a large tank 84x24x24? The reason I ask is I am 6'8" and if I build it for my viewing pleasure everyone else will stare at the stand, Another issue is the tank is a peninsula separating my dinning room and living room and the living room is sunken by
9" so it will be viewed from two levels. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Charlie

Question for everyone. I am building a stand for my new tank and need a review of the specs before I start building.

Here are the tank specs as reference:
~330gal rimless
96" x 32" x 25"
3/4" glass all around

My Stand Plan (as followed by template on p.1 (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964)) for 41.25" tall:

Upper Rails (red): 2"x8"x96" (2) (should I double these, or are 2 total ok?)

Upper Ends (yellow): 2"x8"x29" (2) (should I double these, or are 2 total ok?)

Center Cross Supports (blue): 2"x6"x29" (1) (should I double this, or is 1 total ok?)

Bottom Ends (blue): 2"x4"x29" (2)

Uprights (pink): 2"x4"x 29.25 (10) (added 2 for a center on each side)

Screw Strips (green): 2"x4"x38" (6) (added 2 for a center on each side)

Bottom Rails (orange): 2"x4"x96" (2)

Surface: 96"x32"x3/4" plywood (1) & 96"x32"x1/2" styrofoam (1)

The finish will be drywalled to be blended in with the wall. My question is wether this is will be able to structurally support the weight of almost 2 tons when filled? Also, should I reorient the uprights and bottom rails, as in this 400gal stand (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2040499 ) build? Thanks in advance for your help.

When you say center of each side do you mean front and back (the long side)? If so you are fine. If you mean the short side then the 2x8 are not strong enough.

Cross braces more won't hurt. Is this a framed tank if not you I would do at least three of these and add a plywood top.

When you say center of each side do you mean front and back (the long side)? If so you are fine. If you mean the short side then the 2x8 are not strong enough.

Cross braces more won't hurt. Is this a framed tank if not you I would do at least three of these and add a plywood top.

Correct, center front and back. There is no frame on the tank, so what about adding (6) 2x8 cross braces 16" OC, with the 3/4" plywood top, with 1/2" foam on top of that. Does that sound good? Also, what about that 400gal build, pertaining to the orientation of the bottom rails and uprights?

Could i get away with (1) center upright (2x6) front and back, or should I space (2) evenly (2x6) front and back? So, having 2 large openings or 3 smaller openings, front and back.

so what about adding (6) 2x8 cross braces 16" OC, with the 3/4" plywood top, with 1/2" foam on top of that
That sounds like a good plan.
What 400? Same foot print just taller?
For the 330 verticals only need to be 2x4s. Only the top frame has to be heavier. With one center leg and a left and right leg you can use 2x6 for the top beams (two large openings). Three openings is better support and not a problem.

Hey guys need some confirmation on my numbers just to make sure it's right.

The tank will be a 75g and I just want to use 2x6 to extremely safe . The dimensions of the tank are 48"L x 18"W x 20"H. I want the stand to be 40" tall. I also want to try to leave enough space on the ends to be able to put a door so I can remove a sump from in there if need be. Now I was thinking of having the stand measure about 24" wide so I can have that much for an opening door on the ends. Would having the tank flushed up against the front of the stand be an issue if I don't want to show the extra depth of the tank in the front but rather have it in the back? Or do I really have to center the tank over the stand and making this build the stand with an 18" depth instead of a 24"? I also think this way in case I decide to upgrade to a 120g later

These are my numbers:

2 reds of "2x6" @ 48"

2 yellows of "2x6" @ 21" from original depth of 24"

4 greens of "2x6" @ 38" from oroginal height of 40"

8 purples of "2x6" @ 31" from original height of 40"

2 orange of "2x6" @ 48"

3 blues of "2x6" @ 21" from original depth of 24"

What benefits would I gain if I add more of the blue ends to have them as center braces? Maybe adding an extra on the top frame?

Thanks Guys!

I am sure this has been asked before but I looked and did not find it. So

I am starting my build it is on a 72x27x27 tank. I am going to build it 42 inches tall. I have room to put a center leg in my stand. Do I need to build it just like the corners? Put one Purple and one green leg in? or would just the purple leg be OK? The blue cross braces on the top rail how many do I need? I will be putting a plywood top on the stand also. In the bottom do I need to put cross braces between the orange bottom rails? I am also going to put a drip tray in the bottom.

Thank you

LinkinReef,
Ideally, you really want a leg at each corner of the tank. So you really can't do what you want. There are some catches, but I would like to understand your intentions.

How big of a sump are you thinking? Why can't you just pull it out the front?

Back