DIY Stands Template and Calculator

Question for the group.
I built a 120" X 26 " stand according to template with 3/4" ply on the top. Top rail was built with 2X8's.. Stand is going to be used for 2 separate 4' 80 gal frag tanks. Still question the need for a center support. Also thought about sistering up the front and back rail to prevent the need of a center support.

Thoughts?

Have you ever heard the floor creak when you stepped into the middle of a room? At 10' long, that 1600 pound load is going to cause the rails to bow. Now maybe you can accept the fact that the two frag tanks won't be sitting level as the middle sinks under the weight but for me, I would rather put proper supports in place and prevent that problem.

Does anyone have picture of original template that isnt stored on Photobucket? Reason I am asking is because photobucket started blurring all pics that they host (and add their watermark across it), so it makes it harder to see what is actually going on.

Attachments

• StandTemplate.jpg
    StandTemplate.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 7
i don't know if anybody has asked this but can you use 2x4 top for a 100g 48" long without a center brace?

I'd use 2x6 personally. I'm sure it's been done before but I wouldn't feel comfortable long term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i don't know if anybody has asked this but can you use 2x4 top for a 100g 48" long without a center brace?

As per original plans 48" and 100g look to be right on the border between 2x4s and 2x6s for the top portion. 48" is limit for 2x4s, but 90g is also limit. For 120g, 4 foot long I was going to use, I planned on going with 2x6s without the center brace. I actually talked with RE briefly, as I have a 5 foot tank now that I will use, and he said no need for center brace for it either but to go with 2x6s. It is however 110g, so there is that as well. I did put 2 off center braces as I need them for doors and such, otherwise I wouldnt have used them most likely.

I hope this is a rather dumb question, and looking at the original picture it seems that I have my answer, but I will ask anyway.

This is for my 120g (48x24") stand. I made the top out of 2x6 as has been suggested many times in this thread. This will be for a rimless tank so I am going to put a few extra "blue" members across the top for more support, instead of the single blue member in the original drawing. In order to keep some head-room under the tank (and because I have a lot more 2x4 left over), can I use 2x4s instead of 2x6s? Aligning the top of the 2x4 with the top of the stand.

Wow, is this thread still active? I'm looking at building a stand for a 150 that is 60 inches wide and thought about using 2x4's for the top with a center brace, but making the stand 84 inches wide, so there would be 1 foot on either side of the tank. Is this a bad idea since the tank corners wouldn't be sitting on the corners of the stand and just centered over the center post? Thanks!

Wow, is this thread still active? I'm looking at building a stand for a 150 that is 60 inches wide and thought about using 2x4's for the top with a center brace, but making the stand 84 inches wide, so there would be 1 foot on either side of the tank. Is this a bad idea since the tank corners wouldn't be sitting on the corners of the stand and just centered over the center post? Thanks!

I am currently skinning stand for my 5 foot tank, and had similar questions about making stand longer/wider

I needed bottom wider as tank is 18" wide, while sump is 24" wide. I came up with this.

fxc9BgQ.jpg

uzj94LZ.jpg

1cqqz3b.jpg

9OvY75v.jpg

Tank is still sitting on proper frame, but I have enough room and support for sump below as well. I used 2x6's for top frame

If you are looking to make a stand where you can slide your sump in from the side - can you change the orientation of the green piece in the photo used on here?

To make more room for you to be able to slide the sump in from the side - put the green piece right next to the red piece horizontally - instead of perpendicular like it is now?

And then trim in half the pink/purple piece...?

StandTemplate.jpg~original

Double Stack 125 stands

Double Stack 125 stands

I am planning building a double shelved Rack. 125 on the bottom and a pair of 50 Gallon tanks to the top. I was considering all 2x6s using RE plan without a center bracing except below the bottom shelf. And 1/2 inch plywood to top the shelves. I'm wondering if I should use 2x8's for the selves structure (red & yellow). And 2x6s for the center cross brace (blue). Any ideas? Opinions? If it's already posted in this thread, can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

This is probably in this thread somewhere, but I cant find anything so apologies in advance. I am planning a dual 75 gallon stand, so I will need to make my boards horizontal wider to accommodate the width of the bottom tank. Based on Rocket's original plans, I'm looking at ~58" wide. Is this a time where it would be a good idea to bump up to 2x6s for the top? I plan on using a 1/2" plywood top either way.

How would this be incorporated into a 48/48 cube. Acrylic so the entire bottom of the tank must be supported (via plywood). Could I just add more purple pieces in the center run of the orange/brown piece?

Corey

Hi all :) I wanted to ask a question for a 150g stand build, tank buttom comes pre drilled in 3 spots for overflow box.

But thing is since its predrilled i'll have to make the stand around the holes. And they are practically right in the rear "guides"

I wanted to make it out of 2x6", but as you can see on my sketch here, the front guides are 2x4" that should be okay.
My question is, am I fine without the rear guides ? The blue circles on the drawings are where the holes in the tank is

Do you have anything to add to this/concerns ? Ofcause I need more 2x6" where the tank sits and some plywood on top. Drawing isnt finished yet, just wanted to share my thoughts here

This is the tank: https://www.unimati.biz/shop/412-akvastabil-move/5077-akvastabil-move-576-l-akvarie-hvid-eller-sort/

RlAAsg9

lTVFxvT

bEPWZr6

Back