Drs Foster and Smith closing

Finland

In case anyone here gets their supplies from Foster and Smith, better find a new supplier. This is from a local station

RHINELANDER, Wis. (WSAW) Drs. Foster and Smith in Rhinelander is closing in February and 289 people will lose their jobs.

Parent company Petco announced Wednesday that it will permanently close all operations in Rhinelander, except for its 'Live Aquaria' business. Drs. Foster and Smith is America's largest catalog and online seller of pet supplies.

Petco cited a need to streamline its operation and better focus on its core business and customer.

Drs. Foster and Smith will close on Feb. 12. The last days of employment for the 289 employees will vary over the next 60 to 120 days.

Petco aquired Drs. Foster and Smith in Feb. 2015. 55 jobs were eliminated in Jan. 2018 when Petco decided to move front office operations from Rhinelander to the corporation's national support center in San Diego, CA. 17 more pharmacist jobs were eliminated in Aug. 2018 when Petco relocated its pharmacy operations.

Full statement from Petco:

"Petco today announced that we have made the difficult but necessary decision to close the Drs. Foster and Smith (DFS) business based in Rhinelander, Wis., on February 12, 2019. Taking into account the needs of modern pet parents, shifting consumer preferences and the ongoing evolution of the Petco brand, we believe this will enable us to streamline operations and better focus on our core business and customer. This change affects 289 employees, with their last days of employment varying over the next 60 to 120 days - all have been notified and will be provided severance and transition support. This decision has not been an easy one, nor has it been made lightly, and we appreciate that it has a very real effect on both individuals and the broader community in Rhinelander. In an effort to help, we're committed to working with local officials to provide ample outplacement programming for those impacted starting in February. We greatly appreciate all of our partners for their dedicated service and contributions to Drs. Foster and Smith and to Petco."

I imagine this is about consolidating headquarters or even warehouses. Cannot imagne the DFS website will go away - otherwise what was the point in Petco acquiring them in the first place.

Petco acquired DFS in the idea that they can expand into a larger dual company. Over the years as many other companies emerged, DFS couldn't keep up with the quality and service they wanted to be known for. For this reason, they decided that closing one business down will help them focus on the BIGGER picture, their customer's, and to provide the quality and excellent customer service they aim to achieve. The real question is, will it? only time will tell at this point.

I imagine this is about consolidating headquarters or even warehouses. Cannot imagne the DFS website will go away - otherwise what was the point in Petco acquiring them in the first place.

My understanding of it is that as of Feb DFS is totally over/done/closed and everything will be handled through Petco/Petcos website now..
At least thats what I've heard from some DFS employees..

290 people in a small town are going to lose their jobs with no realistic replacement. That's a fairly important aspect of this as well. According the last census there were 3500 homes in that town. That means roughly 1 out of 11 homes are going to lose an income from this most recent action. Previously over the first half of 2018 they eliminated roughly 55 positions at the facility and shifted them to CA. At that time they said "we will still be employing roughly 450 individuals at the WI facility". They are keeping the live aquaria section open which has about 59 employees. So by these accounts, a little over a year ago they were employing 505 people in that town and it will now be down to 59. That's 446 people over the last year that are out of work in a town of 7800. This is a pretty serious hit to their local economy.

This is surprising news to me.

I buy basically all my consumables from them, which isn't much...bulbs, carbon, flake/pellet and frozen foods, meds. Hopefully Petco's website will have all those things.

Has everyone switched to bulk reef supply? They do have better marketing.

I simply don't use the Petco website; it's terrible. I cannot imagine DFS customers going there, though I suppose some will; seems like an excellent business opportunity for BRS.

I really hate to hear about the closing of Drs. Foster and Smith. However, I've been using Bulk Reef Supply, and their service & products are top notch.

Who cares about losing a supplier. There is a bigger picture here. Which has already been said hundreds of people are about to be without a JOB. I don't get you guys that are just worried about losing a BS supply store.:headwally:

DFS usually had the best price for salt mix and free shipping! I have always bought my salt there. Now I have to figure out where to go now.

Who cares about losing a supplier. There is a bigger picture here. Which has already been said hundreds of people are about to be without a JOB. I don't get you guys that are just worried about losing a BS supply store.:headwally:

If i got upset every time some random company had a lay-off, I would need to be medicated.

This one hits me personally, because i buy stuff from their website...pretty simple.

Drs Foster and Smith closing

Boohoo. It happens in the world. Nobody is guaranteed a job, work hard, get experience, and perhaps a degree and find a new job.

They likely bought it as a way to eliminate a competitor. I'm curious if LA and DD will be around for a long time. Can't be cheap to run the DD facility. Even with the inflated prices I'm curious how profitable they are after covering dead fish and operating costs.

Back