Frag Swap Exceptional Frag Judging POST HERE

I forget what it was - got it from Coral Reef Shop about a month ago - I want to say it's a Crocea or Maxima. Kevin got one at the same time maybe he knows.

Anyway - description, brown with gold striping.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14504167#post14504167 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin74
One healthy stalk, perferrably with 2 or more heads. Great addition to the EF table and a softy to boot! Thanks!

-Justin

Ok wait, just so I understand, one healthy stock with at least two heads? That means the actual height of the stalk does not matter? I have a big mother colony that keeps splitting and the last two splits are on the same rock. But one of the stalks is about 1/8" with 4 heads and the other stock is smaller but about 1/4" wide with about 8 small heads. Does that mean this and EF piece?

I wouldn't say the purple bonsai is that common at all its nearly impossible to find at any LFS (in sacramento) and I have hardly ever seen it for sale on any of the forums. Sunset montipora could be in 4 tanks but that doesn't make it common.

Justin responded about the garf bonsai already. Lots to scroll to find it, but it's on page 3...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14455951#post14455951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin74
The powers that be provided some nice input that I could find a middle ground for you. Please have GARF bonsai frags at least 1" and also be able to provide traceable contacts of it's lineage as a few similar morphs have come in, that are lacking the collectable value of it's original. Thanks again Pete :thumbsup:

-Justin

Question
The way I read it is that I can bring 6 Exceptional frags and get into all of the bonus rounds and the regular rounds is that true?
I do not have to bring the 3 regular frags on top of the 6 EX frags?

Also is my Rainbow milli an Exceptional Frag?

Justin has seen it in person.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14538598#post14538598 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KMP
If I brougth a RBTA and a clam would those count as frags :)

Definately! Just not EF.

-Justin

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14540031#post14540031 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wav0718
Questions on these two -

Original GARF Purple Bonsai
Eric's Chille Pepper Monti

Tnks

Thanks Funguy, yes it's been approved with size requirements. The Chilli Pepper Monti is approved but will have to get back to you regarding size requirements to make it to the EF table. Thanks!

reefer334: rainbow milli, yes to 1"+. A collectible lineated piece, please be sure to extend that valuable info to the reciever! ;)

-Justin

WOW since when did Exceptional have anything to do with the cost?? I may make a few folks mad with this but sometimes I have a hard time keeping my trap shut.

Exceptional and or Rare/LE should be based on color and availablity in the hobby. Back 5 years ago when I had my crayola chalice that was the size of a large dinner plate I couldn't sell 3"frags for $15-20, guess what, a 1" piece can sell for $100+ no problem now. I purchased a colony of PM (purple monster)about 1/10th of what supposed "market value" is, does that make the PM no longer desirable or worth "exceptional" status?

This thread saddens me to see what the hobby and these frag swaps have become. Just because some people can sell some avg. corals for ridicoulous amounts of money while someone else sells them for "fair" price, all of a sudden the coral is no longer wanted??? What's next frag swaps for people with "exceptional"corals and swaps for those with crappy corals? I go to swaps for the fun and the better of the hobby, it seems most that go now are too worried about donating a $50 frag and only getting a $10 one in exchange..............this is when the hobby no longers becomes fun IMO :(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14541575#post14541575 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefer334
Question
The way I read it is that I can bring 6 Exceptional frags and get into all of the bonus rounds and the regular rounds is that true?
I do not have to bring the 3 regular frags on top of the 6 EX frags?

6 EF's should only get you into the bonus rounds.
That does not include your basic 3 to get into the swap.
You could make your basic 3, EF's and bring 9 EF's but you still will need your basic 3.

Hey Rob, I don't think they mean to use the dollar amount as a point of reference. I don't think they mean to say that if something doesn't sell for $35+ then it isn't rare or exceptional. They are just using it as a general starting point for those who don't understand what a rare or exceptional frag is.

Judging what is rare or exceptional is purely subjective. The people who are making these decisions are volunteering their time to do this, knowing full well that lots of people are going to be upset with them over their decisions. There isn't a perfect way to do things when it comes to judging whether a coral is rare or exceptional and these guys are trying to do their best. Let's just try to remember that these things are supposed to be fun. Complaining about how things are being done or what is or isn't exceptional is not going to help the mood of the swap (This is in no way aimed directly at you Rob).

Good job to the people making these decisions and keep up the good work!!! :rollface:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14406996#post14406996 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Brian Prestwood
I expected this would be a bit confussing but answering questions is usually more effective than trying to guess what people will ask.

Your submission of three exceptionals and three regulars will get you into round one of the exceptional frags and all the standard frag rounds. You will not be eligible for the 2nd exceptional round or the bonus round. Not that I'm recomending it but you would be eligable for the same rounds even if you kept the three standard frags.

If you replaced your three standard frags with three exceptional frags (six exceptional frags total) you would be eligable for all the rounds: EF 1, EF 2, Bonus and all standard rounds.

Doesn't that mean if you bring 6 EF frags, you are able to attend all rounds (EF 1, EF 2, Bonus, and standard)? I'm not in this boat, but if I was, I'd be confused as well. Thanks for the quick response btw Steve!

funman-
The main thread states

"Exceptional Round One: participants must submit three exceptional frags
Exceptional Round Two: participants must submit a total of six exceptional frags
Bonus Round: participants must submit a total of 12 standard frags or a total of six exceptional frags
Standard Rounds: participants must submit a total of three standard frags or or qualifiy for any of the above rounds"

I am pretty sure this means...

If you bring three exceptional frags you are in Round one and also the standard rounds. Your exceptional frags are enough. (but please bring any frags you can)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14543803#post14543803 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by camlov2
funman-
The main thread states

"Exceptional Round One: participants must submit three exceptional frags
Exceptional Round Two: participants must submit a total of six exceptional frags
Bonus Round: participants must submit a total of 12 standard frags or a total of six exceptional frags
Standard Rounds: participants must submit a total of three standard frags or or qualifiy for any of the above rounds"

I am pretty sure this means...

If you bring three exceptional frags you are in Round one and also the standard rounds. Your exceptional frags are enough. (but please bring any frags you can)

That's how I read it too, now I'm confused :confused:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14543587#post14543587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bladeruner143
Hey Rob, I don't think they mean to use the dollar amount as a point of reference. I don't think they mean to say that if something doesn't sell for $35+ then it isn't rare or exceptional. They are just using it as a general starting point for those who don't understand what a rare or exceptional frag is.

Judging what is rare or exceptional is purely subjective. The people who are making these decisions are volunteering their time to do this, knowing full well that lots of people are going to be upset with them over their decisions. There isn't a perfect way to do things when it comes to judging whether a coral is rare or exceptional and these guys are trying to do their best. Let's just try to remember that these things are supposed to be fun. Complaining about how things are being done or what is or isn't exceptional is not going to help the mood of the swap (This is in no way aimed directly at you Rob).

Good job to the people making these decisions and keep up the good work!!! :rollface:

That's fine but if that is the case then it should have never been brought up IMO. I don't want to single Justin out cause he is good peeps but he said the word "market" that is a business term involving $$$ not a hobby term meaning "likeability". He even stated the Aleveopora is not common yet due to the fact the owner is selling it for $10 rather then $35 it doesn't qualify, that just puts a sour taste in my mouth.

I have been part of MARS frag swaps for the past 7+ years and they used to be fun but with all this judging of what's exceptional and what isn't it seems all the fun has been taken out and it's all about "what $100 frag can I score and turn around and sell! :(

Back