Frag Swap Exceptional Frag Judging POST HERE

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14543854#post14543854 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Underwaterparadise

they used to be fun but with all this judging of what's exceptional and what isn't it seems all the fun has been taken out and it's all about "what $100 frag can I score and turn around and sell! :(

So true, Rob...So true :(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14543883#post14543883 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mpoletti
So true, Rob...So true :(

I go for what's perty, not common and that I hopefully have a chance of keeping alive. :). It's too expensive to get a 35-69 dollar frag for it to bleach before your eyes :(.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14543086#post14543086 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Underwaterparadise
WOW since when did Exceptional have anything to do with the cost?? I may make a few folks mad with this but sometimes I have a hard time keeping my trap shut.

Exceptional and or Rare/LE should be based on color and availablity in the hobby. Back 5 years ago when I had my crayola chalice that was the size of a large dinner plate I couldn't sell 3"frags for $15-20, guess what, a 1" piece can sell for $100+ no problem now. I purchased a colony of PM (purple monster)about 1/10th of what supposed "market value" is, does that make the PM no longer desirable or worth "exceptional" status?

This thread saddens me to see what the hobby and these frag swaps have become. Just because some people can sell some avg. corals for ridicoulous amounts of money while someone else sells them for "fair" price, all of a sudden the coral is no longer wanted??? What's next frag swaps for people with "exceptional"corals and swaps for those with crappy corals? I go to swaps for the fun and the better of the hobby, it seems most that go now are too worried about donating a $50 frag and only getting a $10 one in exchange..............this is when the hobby no longers becomes fun IMO :(

I appreciate and value your input Rob one of the reasons I gravitated towards you and call you a friend. We just can't help but tell it like it is:D, unfortunately any input on how the swap is arranged, or should be arranged is moot by both you, I and anyone else; as the flow of the program has already been up for discussion, voted, and agreed on prior to this thread and public announcement.

As far as what's next in terms of splitting the swap with good vs. crappy corals, some may argue this is already taking place by even having a 'rare' or 'Exceptional Frag' section to the swap. When it really comes down to it, whos to say one coral is better than the other whether it be a blue Discosomma or a purple colored A. granulosa? I honestly couldnt. But alas here you and I are... :lol:

Your absolutely correct though, and everybody may be wanting to throw stones at me 2 years from now if and when Alveopora become extinct;)

In my judging coloration with shock and awe value holds the most weight, then collectibility with demand and availability.

-Justin

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14543854#post14543854 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Underwaterparadise
I have been part of MARS frag swaps for the past 7+ years and they used to be fun but with all this judging of what's exceptional and what isn't it seems all the fun has been taken out and it's all about "what $100 frag can I score and turn around and sell! :(

You raise a VERY good point, but what can we do about that? I've been trying to think of some way to counteract that, but the only one I've been able to come up with is that everyone gives me 3 of their nicely colored corals and I'll give you many thanks in return!!! :D

Now let's talk about something worth talking about . . . HOW BOUT THE LAKERS?!?!?! :bum: :rollface: :smokin:

Pinkish red blasto with green mouths.

P2260260.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14543967#post14543967 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin74
I appreciate and value your input Rob one of the reasons I gravitated towards you and call you a friend. We just can't help but tell it like it is:D, unfortunately any input on how the swap is arranged, or should be arranged is moot by both you, I and anyone else; as the flow of the program has already been up for discussion, voted, and agreed on prior to this thread and public announcement.

As far as what's next in terms of splitting the swap with good vs. crappy corals, some may argue this is already taking place by even having a 'rare' or 'Exceptional Frag' section to the swap. When it really comes down to it, whos to say one coral is better than the other whether it be a blue Discosomma or a purple colored A. granulosa? I honestly couldnt. But alas here you and I are... :lol:

Your absolutely correct though, and everybody may be wanting to throw stones at me 2 years from now if and when Alveopora become extinct;)

In my judging coloration with shock and awe value holds the most weight, then collectibility with demand and availability.

-Justin

I hear ya my friend, I'm afraid though if something doesn't change soon I may have to re think my support for these types of events.................heck I have had people tell me they are afraid to go to the swap cause they feel there tank and corals are inferior :( All though they have really nice set ups.

Hey Rudy.................dem Lakers are killin em this year, but that's for another thread ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14544102#post14544102 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Underwaterparadise
I'm afraid though if something doesn't change soon I may have to re think my support for these types of events...

Rob, I suppose to each their own. While I would hate for that to happen, you have to decide what you want to do with your finite "marketing" dollars. Business term, right? ;)

Anyway. I'd really like to hear your thoughts, but can we do it here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1591464

Let's leave this thread to its original purpose.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14535159#post14535159 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by funman1
It just that a person who brings a $35+ coral ends up going home with at $35+ coral.
If I brought a coral worth $50 to get into EF and then got stuck with one selling for $10, I would claim unfair....

It's an ATTEMPT to keep the playing field even, for everyone who is in EF

In the true spirit of a frag swap it should not be about what you took home, but rather what you are bringing. Who cares if you bring a 50 dollar frag and walk away with a 10 dollar frag. Did you not pick it???

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14544295#post14544295 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tcoral
No answer on whether Orange Crush Acan would make EF?

ahem... lets get back to the post so I know how my frags rank in the order of things. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14544516#post14544516 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tcoral
ahem... lets get back to the post so I know how my frags rank in the order of things. :)

Like other great collectables( Steve Elias stag, Larry Jackson Tri color) The Orange Crush will not be accepted as an EF this year.

-Justin

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14545150#post14545150 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin74
Like other great collectables( Steve Elias stag, Larry Jackson Tri color) The Orange Crush will not be accepted as an EF this year.

-Justin

Yes the LJ squeezed in this year due to a glich, but likely will be it's last tour of duty as an EF coral.

-Justin

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14544056#post14544056 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xia
Pinkish red blasto with green mouths.

P2260260.jpg

Ive seen that morph before and it is a stunner. Not like the other typical red and green morphs that come in. 1 lrg adult polyp, or 2 established medium size polyps would gain you entry to the EF category. Thanks for the submission xia :)

-Justin

IMPORTANT

IMPORTANT

This should've been mentioned earlier and then reiterated yet again. Being just a few days before the swap, for the sake of your frag and it's future, avoid bringing freshcuts.

Im sure it's not mandatory anywhere in the rules but should be IMHO.

It's stressfull enough to be fragged, but compound that with sitting in a bag for a half to full day, then acclimating to a new system can be rough, let alone if the frag hasnt had time to even heal in it's originating system before being taken out.

This is meant more toward the softy/zoa and lps crowd.

-Justin

As far as comments about people being afraid to come, my understanding is that the sponsor LFS's have agreed to sell 3 corals for $30 to anyone wishing to participate in the swap. That should have communicated that ANYONE can come and participate and hopefully the EF judging thread does not deter them from coming. I'm bringing better corals this time than I did to the last swap and I hope to bring better corals still to the next swap.

Ron

What a wonderfull thread. :(

Started as a means to get a simple yes or no on whether the coral or frag one has will be accepted as an "EF", and has since turned into an arguement and a big headache.

I mean, I ask a question about a certain coral and I can't even get a response cause everyone else is too busy lashing out about the rules and what is being accepted as "EF". Almost makes me not even want to attend the swap. I mean, I cant get an answer, so I would be attending blindfolded.

This is suppose to be fun. Sorry if I upset or insulted anyone, but I thought the thread was here to answer "EF" questions, and I cant seem to get that.

I've proposed on the other thread that future swap's EF proposals be made on the MARS forums in a moderated (approval for post) thread and only submissions and Yes/No responses be allowed in the thread. I believe it will fix the majority of the problems.

Ron

Back