Getting the black back in my SI Percs

Thanks -- one good thing is that I picked up new stands, and one new (( same size )) tank, so have been able to get things set up and running before moving the fish. At least that is what I did for the first tank; moving the 40 breeder tomorrow, and then the 58 (( going to be a 65 )) over the weekend.

All of this has to be done before the long weekend, since I will be up in your neck of the woods for a wedding.

I know these aren't SI percs, but they have been completely stripped naked of all they black they had only weeks after they were hosted by H. Mag.

I have removed them from the anemone yesterday to see if it will come back. I know that when they were previoulsy in a Gig that the black continued to develope darker.

check these pics out,

Before the H. mag was introduced (All fins are a deep dark black. There is also a black face mask):
cb10b0f0.jpg

After just over a month with H. Mag (no black face, no black dorsal or pectoral fins, also notice markings under the chin are gone):
793253c4.jpg

29b857c7.jpg

so obviously mags can wipe your black percs clean

I've heard from a good source that magnifica or haddoni can bring the black back in about 2-3 weeks. anyone have any experience with this

on another note, my clowns arrive tomorrow and guess what is leaving before they are even in the tank..........my purple LTA, not going to risk it.

One more thing, if you look at my avatar, that is a rod's onyx in a rose BTA and as you can see it held its black pretty well. It was probably in that BTA for about 3 months at the time of that picture.

I've heard from a good source that magnifica or haddoni can bring the black back in about 2-3 weeks. anyone have any experience with this

IME just the removal of the nem alone allowed the black to come back, and to add to your other comment about the BTA, I've seen way more people that lost black color to BTA's than LTA's, in fact Todds is the only LTA issue I can recall from memory or my reading here.
My picasso's lost black in BTA's, but immediately gained it back just on nem removal, and no nem host at all.

As you can see from my photos. My experience is that H. Mag will take off the black not bring it back.. I know that Gig's help the melanistic colors to come in.

I'll just toss this in, because I'm not sure it is relevant to clown colors but it is worth thinking about.

In koi, blacks and reds are dramatically impacted by the hardness of the water. If you have very soft water, reds will be rich and dramatic, but blacks will be pale. If you have very hard water, blacks will be pitch and velvety, but reds will be pale and may fade entirely. Unfortunately with koi, once the red has faded it will never come back. In Southern California with our hard water, it is common to buy a fabulous red patterned koi and have the red fade away completely in a year - leaving you with a white fish.

Now I am familiar with melanistic color changes in clownfish, and am not suggesting that they don't exist. I am merely adding this additional information about water chemistry to add to the conversation.

Last edited:
That statement certainly has merit, and it could make me doubt my experience had it not been for the fact that mine changed in the same tank, w/ my PH meter reading a stable 8.1-8.3 at the most and w/ no other changes in my tank.
I documented my exp here as well w/ pics showing the change, pretty dramatic, and just the removal alone showed an immediate change back in color.
Presently my Picasso's are in a Malu, and the male gained all black back and then some.
My female gained black back, but it seemed to lessen in continuing w/ black color, not sure if that is just her natural color, or would she have more black in another hosting nem, either way I'm good w/it.

Just to let people know -- I am not ignoring this thread, and will get pictures in a week or two --- just moved the second tank today -- one more to go. MOVING SUCKS.

Thank you sir.

Here is where they (( the SI Percs )) are living now (( a pic from before they were in it )) This is before the chair rail, and cap plate for the foundation bump out where put up.

basementpaint3.jpg

And the whole place,

Outside.jpg

not to high jack but I have a carpet coming tomorrow so my onyx will have spend a little over 2 nights in a LTA, hope that doesn't affect em.

This will be my 1st carpet and I'm nervous this thing will eat them. I ordered from LA, assorted haddoni carpets. We will see what I get

Thanks -- taking a 5 minute break from packing.

I wish it was one giant place, but alas it is "just" a townhouse. I have the 75 up and running there, along with the 40 breeder. The 58 is being transferred into a 65 tomorrow - at least that is the plan.

Just to let people know -- I am not ignoring this thread, and will get pictures in a week or two --- just moved the second tank today -- one more to go. MOVING SUCKS.
Todd,
This is several years later. Do you have any update on this? Still have those clowns?

Todd,
This is several years later. Do you have any update on this? Still have those clowns?

Blast from the past...

About 3 years ago (( perhaps longer )) the female jumped --- my fault, left the screen off after a water change. I still have the male (( now female )), that is paired with an B&W O. To the best of my knowledge they have not spawned. However, they are currently in a tank in my mother-in-law's basement. We sold the townhouse and built a new house. I hope to have them in the new place in a couple of months (( broke down all but one tank )).

The female was hosted by an E. quadricolor while in my 40 breeder. When I broke down that tank I set up a 210, which didn't have an anemone --- about 6 months after I set that tank up we started thinking about moving so the tank was on hold. When I set the 65 back up, I plan on putting an S. haddoni in there.

As for the coloring, it is has lost most of its black again. Hopefully it will re-gain some when I pair it with an S. haddoni again.

The most recent pictures (( over a year old, haven't taken any pictures with the tank at the in-law's place )).

Moving day,

IMG_1169_zpszpfgudwr.jpg

Happier times in the 210

DSC_0379_zps6db3d357.jpg

DSC_0378_zps3e0346f1.jpg

Back