Goby Lifespan Survey

ThRoewer, you could be right. I had them for about 12 years, they spawned a lot but I could never tell them apart.
I guess they can though.

ThRoewer, you could be right. I had them for about 12 years, they spawned a lot but I could never tell them apart.
I guess they can though.

I just got a YWG and it looks exactly like yours. I wonder why it isn't yellow like the name suggests. Any idea?

Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread.

Camouflage - gobies usually try not to stand out too much. What they have on color pattern usually helps them to blend in with the substrate that they live on.
I don't know where exactly you find YWG in the wild, but could imagine that their yellow-green blends in well with seagrass or Caulerpa.
If they have a shrimp or not may also be a factor.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Country US.

pair of yellow watchman gobies, Cryptocentrus cinctus, have had since late 03, they are each about 3 1/2", maybe larger.

I still have one of them, though I only see him sporadically in the 300g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW: my Stonogobiops nematodes pair is now one and a half years with me (bought them 12.12.2014) and they are not yet fully grown.

I got my Yellow Watchman Goby in March of 2004 and it just died today, May 18th, 2017. She was over 13 years old and lived through several tank disasters as well, including an overnight water temperature of 55 degrees once. RIP Spencer. We named it Spencer when it was young and didn't know it was a female.

old goby

old goby

I have a Goby that was given to me and I don't know how old he was but he was full grown back in 2009 and he is still alive today.

posting just because....

green clown goby (Gobiodon histrio) purchased in 2003, still going strong in his 6 gallon, bow front tank. i had no idea he would live this long and i will miss the little fella when he's gone.

Sad morning for me, after all these years i lost my little buddy, not due to old age but to power outage. Power went out for two hours sometime last night and woke up to find he had died and a dead tank. I admit that his death is hard.

Last edited:
Sad morning for me, after all these years i lost my little buddy, not due to old age but to power outage. Power went out for two hours sometime last night and woke up to find he had died and a dead tank. I admit that his death is hard.

Went through the same a couple of weeks ago - GFI tripped and my tanks were out of power for almost a day. Losses were percentage-wise low but I lost a number of hard to replace fish (Red Sea Regal, Latezonatus Clown,...) and a pair of wideband gobies that I had since 2016 and who survived a move.
Interestingly, my Yasha goby pair shrugged it off like it was nothing...

Back