Going LED to T5. Grass is greener on the other side?

The best SPS tank I've seen was with MH and VHO actinic.
I've been around for awhile. I had MH, T5 and leds. I would vote for a combination of t5 and leds. I have T5's and leds in a canapy, DIY. For a fixture, 6 bulb ati with royal blue and uv leds is the way to go.

The best SPS tank I've seen was with MH and VHO actinic.
I've been around for awhile. I had MH, T5 and leds. I would vote for a combination of t5 and leds. I have T5's and leds in a canapy, DIY. For a fixture, 6 bulb ati with royal blue and uv leds is the way to go.

I'll look into it. I don't even know what VHO is because I've been using LED lights from the start. There should be tons of info on that. Thanks.

The UV Lighting Super Actinic Bulb has to be the best blue tube ever made. Others have tried to duplicate it but I've never seen one come close. Lots of other fine ones on the market but they are not the same IMO. MH and VHO are the energy hogs for sure. 48" tank ran 2 x's 250w MH and 2 x's 110w VHO.
I'm OK with LED but think you need more units than the manufacture might suggest and maybe run them closer to the surface.

LED and VHO user here...ymmv...
23024313051_d1e996d296_o.jpg

22987149736_f94e396663_o.jpg

22390412494_b2a0601afb_o.jpg

With T5 there are also waste and environmental concerns. Not saying ignore those BRS vids, But that's a retailer with the single goal of selling products.

To be fair, the arguably best color combination, for going on 20+ years now, has been 250w MH XM10k with SuperActinic VHOs as supplementary blue. Nothing new here.

Going LED to T5. Grass is greener on the other side?

I loved my halides but cost of running and bulb replacement rules it out completely. If they grew coral twice faster then we'd talk, but we're talking possibly better color, maybe better growth.

As of now I am only aware of two good T5/LED hybrids. Giesemann Aurora and ATI Powermodule. Any other fixtures out there?

Last edited:
You could have a massive discussion about pros and cons for each types of lights but here are my two-cents. I have had MH, VHO, PC, T5, LED and several combinations of each over sps tanks. You can achieve the same growth and coloration with all of them, the major differences are going to be cost, electrical efficiency, heat transfer and ease of maintenance. If I read correctly and you already have the LED's than I would tell you to not invest in switching to something else. If anything I would just add additional LED lights as your corals grow in to compensate for shading. T5's and MH's are great because they either have giant reflectors that distribute light from a large projection area, but the type of light they emit isn't any better suited to growing and coloring corals and that of a well made LED fixture. The issue with the LED is simply the size of the projection area resulting in the fact you will need more fixtures than the manufacturers suggest to cover a specific size area once your tank is grown in.

I have been full LED on a couple of my systems for almost 4 years now and between not having to run a chiller, not having to monitor the age of my bulbs and not having to ever change bulbs, it has been totally worth the investment for me. Its just one less thing to have on your mind.

You could have a massive discussion about pros and cons for each types of lights but here are my two-cents. I have had MH, VHO, PC, T5, LED and several combinations of each over sps tanks. You can achieve the same growth and coloration with all of them, the major differences are going to be cost, electrical efficiency, heat transfer and ease of maintenance. If I read correctly and you already have the LED's than I would tell you to not invest in switching to something else. If anything I would just add additional LED lights as your corals grow in to compensate for shading. T5's and MH's are great because they either have giant reflectors that distribute light from a large projection area, but the type of light they emit isn't any better suited to growing and coloring corals and that of a well made LED fixture. The issue with the LED is simply the size of the projection area resulting in the fact you will need more fixtures than the manufacturers suggest to cover a specific size area once your tank is grown in.

I have been full LED on a couple of my systems for almost 4 years now and between not having to run a chiller, not having to monitor the age of my bulbs and not having to ever change bulbs, it has been totally worth the investment for me. Its just one less thing to have on your mind.
Thanks, I have 4 Kessil A360s and the tank has a 4x2 footprint. I'll probably end up using only 2-3 of the pendants unless I get a bigger tank.

Thanks, I have 4 Kessil A360s and the tank has a 4x2 footprint. I'll probably end up using only 2-3 of the pendants unless I get a bigger tank.

funny thing.. after reading this thread, I started thinking about bulb changing, heat issue, and everything for my LPS tank.. decided to sell the ATI and bought a Kessil AP700. It's not a Radion but it looks slick! lol.. and it's more than enough for my LPS corals.

funny thing.. after reading this thread, I started thinking about bulb changing, heat issue, and everything for my LPS tank.. decided to sell the ATI and bought a Kessil AP700. It's not a Radion but it looks slick! lol.. and it's more than enough for my LPS corals.

Lol :)

personally, I found that adding T5s has benefitted my tank a lot. Nothing wrong with LEDs, however I believe that shadowing inherent on LEDs is alleviated by T5s, which helps corals.

personally, I found that adding T5s has benefitted my tank a lot. Nothing wrong with LEDs, however I believe that shadowing inherent on LEDs is alleviated by T5s, which helps corals.

Again, this is about the projection area, T5's and their reflectors usually span the length of the tank, thus a huge projection area, has nothing to do with the type of light emitted by T5 vs LED.

Back