Going LED to T5. Grass is greener on the other side?

I own several T5 fixtures, a couple ATI fixtures and a Giesemann and I prefer the Giesemann much more.

I have found quite a few threads people using 36 inch fixtures over 48 inch tanks. Any thoughts?

I didn't like it. Here is a pic of 8x39w ATI and the sides are dark

57EF333F-E107-4C73-855E-55BD29F44C13_zpsptzptujb.jpg

I agree with Kenny, if you can get the 48" you should. I have the 39w ati 8bulbs led T5 PowerModule hybrid on my 4X2 and wish I got the 48". GL

I have found quite a few threads people using 36 inch fixtures over 48 inch tanks. Any thoughts?

Some people like to have the light is same length at the tank, but I think it is depend on the rockscape and coral placement and equipment you had. I used to have 5' tank with 4' ATI power module. I like it better that way cause the dim on both sides hid my bulky Tunze powerhead, Tunze wavebox, and overflow box

Anyway It is depend on your taste.

Some people like to have the light is same length at the tank, but I think it is depend on the rockscape and coral placement and equipment you had. I used to have 5' tank with 4' ATI power module. I like it better that way cause the dim on both sides hid my bulky Tunze powerhead, Tunze wavebox, and overflow box

Anyway It is depend on your taste.

That was a sweet reef tank.

Like Daniel said, it's all about where you'll be placing the corals and if you would like better proportion from stand -> tank -> light for more appealing aesthetics .

You wouldn't even notice 4' bulbs on a 5' tank if you didn't have the wood there/raise it up some.
I have 5' bulbs on a 6' tank in a canopy and I don't think you can tell.

nice tank Mike! T5 worked well for me in the pass. Not sure why I am doing radions with a 250w radium this time around with starting up my new tank. So far it's working ok.

ok so I installed 2 blue reefbrites xho.. I chose high output because a few online reviews saying 8 bulb will outshine the reefbrites. I find that pretty true. When all 8 bulbs run >50%, I can't see too much difference. There is a hint of blue and my corals shine a little more. My anemones look much better. It's harder to tell from my crappy photos, but inferno looks much brighter. When the ATI starts dimming, noticeable difference in coral color. When ATI is <20%, tank looks very similar color to Kessil. No shimming though.

my crappy cellphone pix..

ATI ~80% RB off
20151125_172149_zpssnltklv1.jpg

ATI ~80% RB on
20151125_172215_zpsb0pb3fxh.jpg

ATI ~50% RB on. still not much difference
20151125_210621_zps9hp1d8bo.jpg

Kessil ~50%, ATI ~50%
20151125_210546_zpsnzulzrqe.jpg
[/IMG]

Kessil Deep Ocean Blue only, ATI ~10% RB on

room glows like an alien space ship
20151125_215108_zpsyalv3jq5.jpg

imo, for viewing purpose only, I still favor LED over T5. If I had a canopy or hanging rack, I would do ATI with Kessils. or Radion if money isn't an issue.. But for a hanging fixture, it just looks too messy with goosenecks.

Last edited:
imo, for viewing purpose only, I still favor LED over T5. If I had a canopy or hanging rack, I would do ATI with Kessils. or Radion if money isn't an issue.. But for a hanging fixture, it just looks too messy with goosenecks.

It looks good. Was it hard to install the reefbrites? How did you mount them on the ATI fixture?

I was thinking starting out with 3 Kessils but it's so hard to ignore consistent success of T5 fixtures with SPS growth and colors.

Back